MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-12-10, 19:27
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

Please Help! my amp is broken! - framus cobra

I bought a cobra yesterday.
I tested it, on low-ish volume, and there was intermittent volume loss, but I thought it must have been my guitar, which has issues with the jack plug, and sometimes does that to my other amps.
so I used a different guitar, and it worked fine for 45 mins of testing/demo.

A couple of hours later, using the good guitar, I start playing loud and the volume loss has returned!
actually it started loosing the low end first, then the volume, then it died after about 10 mins!

I assume it has blown a fuse? I don't really know anything about electronics and that, but I've read somewhere that the fuse is a protection thing, and its likely to blow again if i just replace it.

does this sound like a valve failure? The bloke drove a long way to deliver it with it in the back of his car, so it could have gotten knocked and damaged on the way right?

If it is a blown valve, can I just buy some new ones and fit them myself? what is re-biasing? he told me it had "winged tip" el34's or something.
also, where is a good place in the uk to get valves? and roughly how much are they?

Thanks. I hope its easily fixable, thats the most expensive 10 mins i've ever spent.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2007-12-10, 20:41
the_bleeding
Post-whore

okay. for wavering volume it can be a number of things.
For total volume loss, it can also be a number of things

i'd look at preamp tubes (loss or wavering volume, microphonics, static, popping when they fail)

poweramp tubes (loss of volume, loss of bass, wavering) and the tubes he said were probably SED winged "c"s, great tubes.

fuses typically only blow when theres a problem with the powertubes, so you might as well fix that too.

take her in to a tech, he will probably want to retube it. Oh, and when you retube it, have him bias the tubes correctly and your framus will sound SOOO good.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-12-12, 19:22
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

All I'd say is that I doubt it is a fuse, when a fuse fails its normally an instantaneous loss of everything- the amp basically shuts down.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-12-12, 20:44
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorath23
instantaneous loss of everything- the amp basically shuts down.

yeah, thats what i meant when i said "died"

The Bleeding:
thanks mate. and kudos for almost answering it on HC too.

I've booked her into a tech today, he said it sounded like an output valve problem, hes gonna look and let me know.

i looked inside, and even though he said "winged" whatever, they were svetllana jobs.

anyway... hopefully i'll have an amp soon, and i wont have to get medieval on the sellers arse.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2007-12-12, 21:00
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon rA
i looked inside, and even though he said "winged" whatever, they were svetllana jobs.

Svetlana makes the winged "c"s

heres a pic
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/assets/...etlana6l6gc.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...GJL._AA280_.jpg

same thing, different boxes.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-12-12, 21:25
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

ha ha fair enough.
they're good then? what other alternatives are out there?
it seems stupid to me to buy a high end amp, and shit/cheap tubes, so if I have to get it re-done, I want to get the best available.

Old 2007-12-12, 22:41
the_bleeding
Post-whore

hoestnly, i dont know of a better 6l6. Everytime i ask about them, i've been recommended the winged "c"s because theyre apparently the ultimate for metal.
They're about 50$ a pair, making them the most expensive non american 6l6's out there, but anybody will swear by them. If you want to upgrade, you could go with NOS Jan or Phillips tubes, but the jan;s will be about 70$ a pair, an the phillips will be about 200$ a pair.
You could also look into kt66's, but then again, it will be a 60$ minimum for a pair, and not very many people use them or know about them, so i'd personally stick to the winged c 6l6's. Everybody who has tried them loves them. Also, i've been told that the winged "c"s sound more expensive than they are

Old 2007-12-12, 22:52
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

holy crap $400 for a new set of tubes!
winged "c"s it is.

btw, its el34.

Old 2007-12-12, 23:26
the_bleeding
Post-whore

oh shiiii... i dont know much about el34's. Might want to do further research on those. Theres probably better options than winged "c"s then/

http://thetubestore.com/el34review.html
just found this... apparently SED is an offshoot of svetlana... goddamn that ruins on of my statements hahaha.

Old 2007-12-14, 15:29
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

i got it back from the tech, and he fitted it with jj's.

t'anks for all your help, the amp sounds incredible.