MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-12-06, 23:08
Soeru
Post-whore

Parallel wiring is awesome.

I just installed a push pull pot for having the option of parallel wiring on my guitar today and I just wanted to share how awesome it sounds. When you engage it with a humbucker, you get a brighter snappier but less powerful sound that doesn't distort easily, it's like running the 2 coils in it seperately like on a strat but they're still hum canceling. Placing the pickup selector in the center to use the other pickup in my guitar(a singlecoil) I get a super mid-squaky old fashioned strat sound. I also insulated my guitar with copper tape today btw.

I think it's better than normal coil tapping(turning off 1 coil) cause it cancels hum like a humbucker and the difference in volume isn't as drastic as turning off 1 coil(30% output drop vs. 50%).

I'd suggest this for anyone that wants to get a little more versatility or better cleans from a bridge pickup that has a lot of balls but can't mellow down a lot, I like it better than using the volume knob to get better cleans. Not sure if it would work really well with a bright pickup like the X2n but it's worth the try though.

It's not hard to do, just need to be able to solder something and pay close attention to the schematic: http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...tic=1h_1v_1t_sp

(Also comes illustrated exactly the same(the switch) in the manuals that come with dimarzios. Different pickup manufacturers have different color cables so take that into account. Ie: that's a SD so the lead is black, while with dimarzios it's red.).

If anyone wants a quick sound sample of the difference feel free to ask.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-12-07, 06:15
the_bleeding
Post-whore

just wait until you try doing bends and tremolo picking... gets this strange springyness to it.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-12-10, 12:21
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I reversed the polarity of the two Blaze7's in my Ibanez and was blown away. It has an odd tone when both pups are activated so I kept it. Its awesome for clear lead tones. Stands out in a mix like crazy. I love experimenting with pup configurations.