MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-12-01, 03:38
Hammy
New Blood

floyd rose help

i recently got my first guitar with a floyd rose. and i am getting used to it but i want to know exactly how to go from e standard to d(not drop d but dgcfad). but this i mean how do i go about adjusting the tension on the springs for this? and also i noticed that when i first got the guitar the bridge was a little raised above the cavity but some how it is now a little below the cavity and i was wondering if adjusting the tension would fix this

Old 2007-12-01, 04:44
7-string warlord
Post-whore

first off I would get some 11 guage strings for D standard. There's already a bunch of threads on how to adjust the springs, but I will give a really brief over view.

Basically, you tune your guitar to pretty close to where you want it...don't get it perfect, because it will end up changing. if you notice the bridge is too high up, tighten the screws on the plate that your springs attach to. If it is too low , then loosen them.

keep doing that until it gets to the tuning you want and the bridge is perfectly level. Then as long as you keep using the same guage and tuning, you won't have to worry about doing that again.

Old 2007-12-02, 04:51
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

10's can work as well, 11s can be too uncomfortable if you're switching from 9s. Just throwin' that out there.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-12-02, 18:38
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
Basically, you tune your guitar to pretty close to where you want it...don't get it perfect, because it will end up changing. if you notice the bridge is too high up, tighten the screws on the plate that your springs attach to. If it is too low , then loosen them.

keep doing that until it gets to the tuning you want and the bridge is perfectly level. Then as long as you keep using the same guage and tuning, you won't have to worry about doing that again.

Yes. Just tune it over and over and fuck with the screws a little 'till you get it where you want it. Welcome to the world of the Floyd Rose.

Old 2007-12-02, 20:22
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
10's can work as well, 11s can be too uncomfortable if you're switching from 9s. Just throwin' that out there.

yeah good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Old 2007-12-02, 22:59
thedogwave
Metalhead

like everyone said it's just one of those things you have to fuck with. basically it's trial and error. find the right tension where your bridge stays where it needs to be and you have stable tuning. the first couple times i had to mess with the springs it took forever, now just from experience i can do it pretty quickly. good luck man.

Old 2007-12-10, 12:13
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

It takes VooDoo majic to learn the ways of the floating bridge