MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-11-27, 10:13
troglio
New Blood

tuned in B. Alternatives. pedal?, changing strings, baritone guitar

Hi,

could anybody helpme to know how I could tune in B, with a usual Jackson 6 string dinky. ?

i mean, I must change strings (thicker), or it is also possible to use a pedal (picth change) and obtain a similar result, without changing strings and dedicating the guitar to that tune.

And what a hell difference has a baritone guitar with a normal one

thanks a lot experts 4 u help

troglio

Old 2007-11-27, 11:34
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Well, you can buy thicker gauge strings, it's quite the drop, so they are still bound to be a little floppy.
A pitch shifter can work, but unless it is a really high-end one, the results are not exactly going to be top notch. I had an old boss pitch shifter, and whenever i bent the string, it cut out.
A baritone guitar is naturally tuned to C if I'm not mistaken. Schecter makes an awesomely affordable series of them, Blackjack i believe.
They also make many 7 string guitars at fairly affordible rates, you're much better off getting a new 7 string as opposed to having a not-so-good sounding B tuned 6 string.

Oh, and, wrong thread, you need guitars not gears.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-11-27, 12:37
troglio
New Blood

thks a lot for your help

sorry about the thread, i ll post there now

i bought a 2nd hand boss gt6, i suppose it is not good enough, i ll try what are the possibilities.

so you think strings are not the solution, anyway what thickness
would you recommend?
thanks

Old 2007-11-27, 15:16
sqol
Post-whore

If you purchase a set of strings with something like a 56 on the bottom, you should be able to tune to B with that fine. Don't go the route of a pitch shifter, it'll sound like arse and have no depth to the sound.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-11-28, 15:19
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Yeah screw pitch shifters and personally I don't think 56 is thick enough I tune to C# and use 54-12's and its still a little loose (and thats on a 25.5'' scale). For B I'd be looking at getting a 60 probably 60-14 would probably be best imo, thats if you like the tension of E standard with 10's ~ roughly equates. Personally if I ever wanted to tune to B I'd always use a seven string, really fat strings don't equate to easy soloing on the 1st and 2nd strings on low tuned 6-stringers... Its all personal preference though. If I was looking at seven strings my first stop would be Schecter as said above. HTH.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-11-29, 00:09
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

As far as string gauges go. If you are just chugging chords I would recomend 13-56.

I use 10-52 for B standard just cause I bend a lot. A lot of bands use it. Carcass, Impaled, ect ect.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-11-29, 01:08
the_bleeding
Post-whore

normal guitar: scale ranges from 24.75 to 25.5

baritone: scale ranges from 26.5 to 28 i believe. Baritone tuning SHOULD be in B standard, but with the schecter (which is only 26.5) they keep it at C because the strings would be slack.

Baritone's come with Baritone strings which are HUGE and tight. When in doubt, baritone strings will make your day. mind you, with the low string being something like a 68, there will be a nut-job in order
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-11-29, 02:26
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
As far as string gauges go. If you are just chugging chords I would recomend 13-56.

I use 10-52 for B standard just cause I bend a lot. A lot of bands use it. Carcass, Impaled, ect ect.

I use 59-13 but I do a lot of bends, generally play a lot of lead. 52-11 is what I use for D and it still feels a bit too loose. Just gotta strengthen those fingers a bit.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-12-03, 05:54
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I use 59-13 but I do a lot of bends, generally play a lot of lead. 52-11 is what I use for D and it still feels a bit too loose. Just gotta strengthen those fingers a bit.

Yeah I know a lot of people use heavier strings. I used to use 13-56 but soon as I switched to light and heavy 10-52 I really like the feeling. I always go with a string gauge lighter than recomended. I know Kerry King does that as well.

Old 2007-12-04, 20:20
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

I use 10-52 for C# standard. Which occasionally I tune the low string to B for drop tunings. Not super flubby or loose, but if I played it in a band I'd probably switch to an 11-54 set.

Different strings feel different too. D Addario's alway seemed stiff no matter what tuning or guage I'd try. I generally play Ernie Ball these days because they last longer and feel better to me.

Old 2007-12-05, 00:36
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
I use 10-52 for C# standard. Which occasionally I tune the low string to B for drop tunings. Not super flubby or loose, but if I played it in a band I'd probably switch to an 11-54 set.

Different strings feel different too. D Addario's alway seemed stiff no matter what tuning or guage I'd try. I generally play Ernie Ball these days because they last longer and feel better to me.

I find that with different brands as well. I use DR strings and D'quisto strings. They seem to do the job. Slinkys are too thick for me and D'darrio are too light.

Old 2007-12-05, 00:39
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

BTW just curious about Barritone guitars. Are the strings different or are they bassically the same as tunning down with thicker strings?

Old 2007-12-05, 04:38
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

well, im in C tuning, and didnt change the gauge, and my sound is clear enough, and i dont use pedal because i dont have money!

I have a the same guitar as you (jackson dinky) my strings iare in a standard gauge. My sound is still good in C tuning.

But maybe change your gauge could be good too, not a bad idea, i think it depends of the guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-12-05, 06:48
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
BTW just curious about Barritone guitars. Are the strings different or are they bassically the same as tunning down with thicker strings?

The guitar itself has a longer scale length to provide greater tension, along with thicker strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2007-12-13, 22:31
God-Free
New Blood

Hey Soeru what brand of strings do you buy to get 59-14s? Im currently using 56-13s for B and am looking for something a bit thicker. Also would this get rid of some of the fret buzz i get with a low action?

Old 2007-12-14, 07:31
Soeru
Post-whore

I use a D'addario 7-string set, the gauge is 59-10, but if you take off the 10 the next highest string is a 13. 14's on the high E I have no idea, never seen them(it's way too much anyway), better off buying a single 14 if you really need that.

With higher gauge strings you're most likely going to have to use higher action to get less buzz.

And yeah D'addarios always feel super tight and are very bright tonewise, but not enough to sound squeeky which is awesome. Can't stand earnie balls though, their sound becomes dull after the first week to me. *shrug*

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-12-14, 19:29
God-Free
New Blood

Thanks man. yeah i was using 56- 13s for C which i thought felt perfect so i had been looking to gage up since ive dropped to B... Definitely agree with the earnie balls, i have them on my guitar in D that i bought last week and im not a fan of them. thanks again!