MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-11-08, 20:54
Sythke21
Metalhead

fast tremelo

hey guys, im learning some goregasm atm, and since i haven't played alot of real Death metal like this i haven't come across alot of songs with speeds like 16th notes at 230BPM. Im learning fisticunt, and the intro is just that, when you guys are playing at these speeds do you make sure your strict with exactly how many times you strike each note, or do u just go by what sounds good. i tend to lose control of playing 16ths at around 180bpm. (single notes, not scale, or chromatic runs)

Old 2007-11-08, 22:00
Me himself
Supreme Metalhead

I've had this question before and it used to bother the shit out of me. I usually never pay attention to the exact number of strokes I do for tremolo picking, but for some period of time I did sit down with a metronome and try to get my tremolo picking more rhythmic, rather than just a burst of insanely fast strokes. Picking up that practice technique wouldn't be a bad idea if you're looking at it just from a disciplinary standpoint, but with metal tremolo picking (as opposed to shred), I really don't see a reason to get all torn up about it. Lately I actually have been paying more attention to the number of strokes because I'm trying to get my shredding up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
Everyone is wrong.

Old 2007-11-08, 22:03
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

I'd say it is fairly important to get the right number of notes in there, at the correct tempo. You'll only find it more difficult later on if you go at it with the lazy approach now.

Old 2007-11-08, 23:58
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythke21
hey guys, im learning some goregasm atm, and since i haven't played alot of real Death metal like this i haven't come across alot of songs with speeds like 16th notes at 230BPM. Im learning fisticunt, and the intro is just that, when you guys are playing at these speeds do you make sure your strict with exactly how many times you strike each note, or do u just go by what sounds good. i tend to lose control of playing 16ths at around 180bpm. (single notes, not scale, or chromatic runs)

I learned how to play guitar with Sodom and Slayer songs... I actually had a hard time with tremelo when I started as well. I can play Deeds of Flesh - Reduced to Ashes now at any given point in the day... all it was is practice, practice, and making sure your picking form is proper. When I first started I would just grudge-fuck tremelo pick with my forearm like Jeff Hanneman I would get fatigued fast, and my accuracy wasn't too great. I'm usually pretty strict with how many notes I play, just because I'm familiar with beats and time signatures and note values and shit... but if you're playing death or thrash metal, being specific on your open E tremelo picking isn't too terribly important

Old 2007-11-09, 00:41
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

biggest thing is that it sounds like shit without palm muting on the low E string. To an extent at least...
Start with slow songs, and get them perfect. Great album to do that is Fistful of Metal by anthrax (see what i did there metalthrashingmad?) Really slow. Go to slayer, then try the Goreguts. One step at a time, you'll end up missing a step and screwing up if you start that high.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-11-09, 04:46
Sythke21
Metalhead

thanks guys, ill take a step back and master some simpler songs then come back to some 'gasm and see how we go

Old 2007-11-09, 08:41
Soeru
Post-whore

Learn Suffocation's "Mass Obliteration".

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-11-09, 16:13
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Clean tremelo picking should be exactly four picked notes every beat inside the metronome. Otherwise you're doing triplets or something else.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-11-09 at 16:15.

Old 2007-11-10, 14:37
Amadeus
Quantum.

+1
I was waiting for that all through the thread. Sloppyness may work for Slipknot's guitarists - who generally seem to be playing haphazard binary code on the low E-string - but music is 1% magic and the rest methods and techniques. Not worth much without the magic, and frankly embarrasing without the methods and techniques.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2007-11-10, 17:29
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Sloppyness may work for Slipknot's guitarists - who generally seem to be playing haphazard binary code on the low E-string

:lol: sigged.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-11-10, 19:31
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

If you're still checking this thread, syth, then do this: Speed Bursts. Boom bam the end. Those are your life savers for speed, honestly. Look up exercises, or talk to me if you can't find ANY for some reason. And btw the man who loves speed bursts a lot for technique improvement: Mr. Petrucci.

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2007-11-11, 02:03
Demoniac
New Blood

At some point....you can't be sure! It's impossible. I maybe lame, but I just memorize the time...if I start with one intensity I will just try not to give more or less impulse to it and that is it!

If you want triplets go really fast(respecting the bars) if not...just go a little slower.

I believe with time...we do it with out thinking about it!

Talking about self experience...I believe that some little small mistakes are good! (like these 1 or more nano-secound of a riff)..gives the song some fluence...not boring "the same and the same"...more hypnotic.

That's my vision of it!

Old 2007-11-11, 23:37
thedogwave
Metalhead

it all depends on the part. of course if you're doing a fast trem picking part over a few strings or something tightness is everything. on a lot of tighter more tech stuff i'll really sit there and think it all out but if it's some basic black metal riff or something i just rely more on how long im playing the note and not really how many times im playing it. if that makes sense.