MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-11-03, 16:03
cotd666
Metalhead

Where next?

i have played guitar for 1 and a half years (but bass for 6 months before that). i have recently learn the main riffs from angel of death, old (machine head), davian and stabwound (necrophagist). im also currently learning the solo from stabwound which ive nearly got down. my question is - what should i learn next? i can tap, pick quite fast and im alright at sweeps. id like to learn something fairly complicated but that i should be able to play comfortably with practice (and i also want to be able to learn something from it). i tried frantic disembowelment but im just not there yet. maybe something along those lines just not as fast?

Old 2007-11-03, 22:40
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

Jason Becker. But unless you practice for 10 hours a day I think you're lying about how good you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
What does "phag" stand for?

Old 2007-11-04, 07:09
Midwinter-Gates
Metalhead

Head over to www.riversofgore.com and check out some tabs for Theory in practice some more Necrophagist, Spawn of possession and you'll be set for a while I believe.

Old 2007-11-04, 11:41
cotd666
Metalhead

thanks will do

Old 2007-11-04, 11:51
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Empire
Jason Becker. But unless you practice for 10 hours a day I think you're lying about how good you are.

old and davidian arent hard, angel of death i didnt mean to say id learnt it i am learning it but i havent got it down yet. i only know about 4 5 string sweeps and a couple of 3 string 1s. im not as good as i sound, i missed out quite a lot of easy stuff at the beginning because i wanted to be able to tap and sweep.

im gonna try riversofgore and then look at some jason becker.

Old 2007-11-04, 15:35
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

The Jason Becker thing was a joke, his material is all very hard to play, even for an advanced guitarist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
What does "phag" stand for?

Old 2007-11-04, 16:39
cotd666
Metalhead

ah. fine. im now trying to learn necrophaist - epiath and its fuck hard. shud keep me goin for a bit.

Old 2007-11-06, 11:25
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

hahaha necrophagist is fucking hard. If you can't get angel of death down, necrophagist is out of the question man.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-11-06, 15:08
cotd666
Metalhead

i havent got angel of death down down cos i havent really concentrated on learning it ive been learning it around other things. im going alright with epitah, its hard but not impossible. is that good for someone whos been playing 2 years?

Old 2007-11-08, 22:42
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

A musician should never need acceptance from other musicians, i've been playing my whole life and don't know what the word sweep means.

You should aspire to create something new without always making comparisons to other guitarists.

Old 2007-11-09, 00:49
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

aspire as long as you want, but you wont feel emotionally gratified untill you know you're better than someone.
How awesome is it turning on much music or MTV and knowing that you are better than that guy on TV. To answer your question cotd666, yes, that is pretty damn good, but make sure you don't miss a few of the essencials, IE, get trem picking down, tapping, pull off/hammer on, palm mutes etc.
AND<<< don't forget to try to write your own stuff, you'll need some sort of scale recognition, or at least what sounds good to your ear to do that.
But again, grats cotd666 that is a feat

Last edited by Mortal_Lament : 2007-11-09 at 02:37.

Old 2007-11-09, 00:54
JOAMdude
Post-whore

you mean a feat

Old 2007-11-09, 17:19
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
aspire as long as you want, but you wont feel emotionally gratified untill you know you're better than someone.
How awesome is it turning on much music or MTV and knowing that you are better than that guy on TV. To answer your question cotd666, yes, that is pretty damn good, but make sure you don't miss a few of the essencials, IE, get trem picking down, tapping, pull off/hammer on, palm mutes etc.
AND<<< don't forget to try to write your own stuff, you'll need some sort of scale recognition, or at least what sounds good to your ear to do that.

i can do all of that pretty well and i am writing my own stuff.

and im not trying to make comparisons with other guitarists, its just not many people i know play guitar so im not quite sure how good i am for the amount of time ive played.

i know that i can always improve and when i practice i try as hard to improve on things i already know as much as i do on new things that i have learnt.

Old 2007-11-12, 18:46
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament

So basically your playing guitar for other peoples ears and not your own...

I think i'll do my own thing and leave competing to the clone majority.

Old 2007-11-12, 19:17
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaphyt

I think i'll do my own thing and leave competing to the clone majority.

you talking to me or him?

Old 2007-11-15, 02:21
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaphyt

I think I'll do my own thing and leave competing to the clone majority.

Whoa man, not quite what I'm saying. You can't improve unless you're critical on your own playing. And with the 2+ hours a day I've been playing since I was 7, it's not only been sheet music...actually, maybe less than 5 minutes is sheet music. But having compliments from myself doesn't do me any good, because i know I'll get better every day i play, some days more than others. Other people's compliments is awesome.
And how the fuck can someone improve without knowing what to do? Practice only makes perfect if it's perfect practice. If you practice wrong, you're learning how to make mistakes.
More importantly, fuck you buddy, you're the non-conformist clone, I'll leave the non-structured experimental guitar playing to you.

Old 2007-11-15, 12:07
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwinter-Gates
Head over to www.riversofgore.com and check out some tabs for Theory in practice some more Necrophagist, Spawn of possession and you'll be set for a while I believe.

Be careful...there are a bunch of known cunts that lurk there.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.