MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-11-02, 21:26
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Amp settings when using a pedal

Could someone recomend me some good amp settings when using a distortion pedal?

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-11-02, 21:41
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Depends on your amp, guitar, and pedal.

Old 2007-11-02, 21:49
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

It's a Framus Cobra, and a DOD Death Metal distortion pedal. I also use a old Proco Rat pedal.

As for guitars. Most of mine have either EMGs, Dimarzios or Ducans. For the band I am writting for tho I use an old B.C. Rich Warlock with Ducan Invaders

Old 2007-11-02, 22:27
the_bleeding
Post-whore

mids 10, bass 1, treble 0.

start from there.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-11-02, 22:57
thedogwave
Metalhead

well it all depends on the pedal. is there an eq on the pedal? i'd suggest the first thing you do is either dial the amp or pedal to a flat frequency and go from there. once you start messing with 2 eq's at once shit gets too insane. mids are always your friend if you ever plan to play with a full band. remember that a lot of pedals are already geared towards a "scooped" sound, which is totally weak if you plan on playing anywhere loud or outside of your house. just eq things accordingly every amp/pedal will be eq'd differently. use your ears basically sound is sound, just don't fall into the turned down mids spiral of death. turn your mids up.

Old 2007-11-03, 01:17
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedogwave
well it all depends on the pedal. is there an eq on the pedal? i'd suggest the first thing you do is either dial the amp or pedal to a flat frequency and go from there. once you start messing with 2 eq's at once shit gets too insane. mids are always your friend if you ever plan to play with a full band. remember that a lot of pedals are already geared towards a "scooped" sound, which is totally weak if you plan on playing anywhere loud or outside of your house. just eq things accordingly every amp/pedal will be eq'd differently. use your ears basically sound is sound, just don't fall into the turned down mids spiral of death. turn your mids up.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the scooped sound. Although if I turn down the mids on the pedal it gives me the perfect Dismember/Grave/Entombed sound. Would it work if I turned the mids up on the pedal but down on the amp or vice versa?

Old 2007-11-03, 02:32
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

why the hell are you using a pedal with a framus cobra? That has an amazing distortion sound, using any pedal but a delay or overdrive/volume is a sin.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-11-05, 00:55
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
why the hell are you using a pedal with a framus cobra? That has an amazing distortion sound, using any pedal but a delay or overdrive/volume is a sin.

I love the Framus sound. But for the sound I want it's a buzzsaw raw as fuck heavily distorted sound like Entombed or Mortician. I love the Framus but for what I need I am using more grit. I'm getting another head (Marshall JCM 800) and running it with the Framus and a Pro Co Rat pedal.

So at the end it goes

Framus + Rat +Marshall-DM pedal.

Old 2007-11-05, 20:06
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Thats like the worst pedal + amp combination.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2007-11-05, 20:44
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

i may cry...

Old 2007-11-06, 06:18
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

I'm not going for a pretty nice sound here. I'm going for raw. I know the pedal got some bad reviews I like it tho. I know the sound may turn some people off but i'm trying to go for an old school over the top badly produced sound.

Old 2007-11-06, 07:58
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

I never thought anyone wanted to duplicate those sounds.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-11-06, 11:22
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

well, if you want a bad sound, you could always just turn up all the settings all the way...basically it. Scooping the mids completly could work as well, but a "buzzsaw" sound is really trebily and midranged. So turn up everything...and may Satan have mercy on your soul

Old 2007-11-06, 18:29
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

I'll figure something out. And when i'm done i'll post clips.

Old 2007-11-06, 20:15
the_bleeding
Post-whore

man... if you want crazy chainsaw, i definately say boss HM-2. Dime the EQ, and dick around with the gain and volume to get the right consistency. Use the amp eq to tape the nasal bits, and maybe dick around with the pedal's treble knob to tame the nasal bits some more.

I have one if you want to try it out... seeing how we both live in the same city...
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-11-07, 03:00
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
man... if you want crazy chainsaw, i definately say boss HM-2. Dime the EQ, and dick around with the gain and volume to get the right consistency. Use the amp eq to tape the nasal bits, and maybe dick around with the pedal's treble knob to tame the nasal bits some more.

I have one if you want to try it out... seeing how we both live in the same city...

I tried out the HM 2 actually. I personally like the DOD a bit more cause it can give me a bit more variety in the sound. I can do the Entombed thing all the way to the Mortician thing.

Old 2007-12-17, 19:51
Olmonatron
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
I'm not going for a pretty nice sound here. I'm going for raw. I know the pedal got some bad reviews I like it tho. I know the sound may turn some people off but i'm trying to go for an old school over the top badly produced sound.

I've tried that pedal and at first it seems pretty brutal, but then I couldn't handle how bad it sounded. Next time you're in Guitar Center, try out the Metal Muff by ElectroHarmonix. (The DOD could be your style, though. I don't know your music.) But the nobs on the Muff are extremely sensitive and thus the pedal is very versatile. I'm sure you could get the sound you want out of the Metal Muff. Plus, it has a silly name.