MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-10-30, 23:44
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Has anyone ever heard of Green Amps?

Hey has anyone ever heard of Green amps? They look a lot like orange amps but are green. They also might be called Electric amps. Supposidly some of the loudest amps. Sleep used them.

http://www.greenamps.com/

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-10-31, 00:16
JOAMdude
Post-whore

i thought they used laney

maybe that was just for HM

Old 2007-10-31, 00:27
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
i thought they used laney

maybe that was just for HM

Naw man they have always used either Green or Orange amps. I know the reason is cause Green amps are super loud (they start at 120 watts and go up!)

Old 2007-10-31, 00:38
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

It better be fucking loud for 2500$ for the head and 1100$ for the 4X12. They don't look very impressive...
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-10-31, 00:48
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
Naw man they have always used either Green or Orange amps. I know the reason is cause Green amps are super loud (they start at 120 watts and go up!)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

?

Old 2007-10-31, 00:49
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude

I think that's for bass

Old 2007-10-31, 06:26
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Green amps are made by Matamp which is basically the original Orange. Hence their similarities.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-10-31, 09:26
sqol
Post-whore

Yea, they're basically Matamp/Orange amps... i don't think they are affiliated with them though, i seem to remember there's some kind of bad blood between them. xdislexicx has a Green 6x12, that looks monstrous.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-10-31, 09:27
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Yeah, Orange branched off of the Matamp/Electricamp(U.S.) a while back. Good shit. Green Amp is just one of the models.

Old 2007-11-01, 18:13
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

I'm pretty sure the guy from Zoraoster uses a Green amp and they're supposed to be incredibly loud live.

Old 2007-11-02, 03:48
the_bleeding
Post-whore

sleep used the british Matamp green amps which are in no way affiliated with the American Electric Amp Innovations, though electric amp DID distribute them to Sleep. Sleep used the green's for both bass and guitar and Laney Pro Tubes, and later in High on Fire, Matt Pike (singer/bassist) of sleep kept his crazy green guitar stack (1 green GTL?, 1 SS poweramp, 2 green 4x12's with celestions and 1 green 4x12 with eminences) for High On Fire before he ditched it for an assortment of Soldanos and a Laney Klipp.

Matamp was started by some dude called Mat Mathias (who built the S2000) and his friend. They got in a fight and his friend defected and created Orange amps (sometime in the 60s or 70s i believe?) which were originally marshall copies.

Regarding Electric Amp Innovations: long story short, Electric Amps used to be a matamp distributor and repair shop in the States and were getting short handed by the british matamp (getting shipped used amps when they paid for new, etc) so they defected, copyrighted and trademarked a bunch of names (like Green, white, red, purple, black) thus fucking over matamp. Thus matamp now actually NAMES their amps instead of just calling them different colours. Apparently most of the old Greens were GTO's or GTL's. The greens with a white panel and 2 rows of knobs are bass amps.

Green Amps, just like Blue amps, black amps, purple amps, white amps, red amps and even yellow amps, are ALL sites run by Electric amp innovations (www.electricamp.com)
Electric Amp is basically a more basic version of Matamp. Their options are very limited, and they use the same preamp in all of their amps (unless otherwise requested), and the only thing that really differs in options is the tube choice for your poweramp. They are REDICULOUSLY priced, and i'm still trying to figure if they're worth the money when i could get a perfectly fine matamp GT1 (combinations of GTO and GTL) FULLY customized for cheaper
I believe most electric amps are just GTL copies (higher gain GTO's) with master volume options. I honestly have no idea, they're really damn cryptic. I have NEVER, in my 3 years of scouring the internet, found ANY reviews or soundclips other than what the Clectric Amp site has to offer. Its crazy!

But anyways, GTL's are doom machines capable of inducing tinnitus near half volume
I know deadsy uses Blue Amps exclusively, download some of their songs (i know theyre pretty bad) to hear what they sound like when downtuned.

Oh, and did you see those cabinets? FUCKING BADASS! 6x12's... 4x15's... i get a boner every time i check out that site... and then my imagination makes my back hurt. (the website tells you how much they weigh )

Main reason theyre so expensive is that ALL parts are made in the USA and assembled in the USA and americans fancy themselves to make expensive things. Also, theyre using military EVERYTHING and military point to point construction which is very very very slow and tedious to build, thus expensive. Apparently theres an exactly 120 day turnaround from order to delivery.

Websites to see:

www.<insert colour here>amps.com <-- honestly, choose different colours and insert it
www.electricamp.com
www.planetoftheamps.com
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Last edited by the_bleeding : 2007-11-02 at 03:56.

Old 2007-11-02, 04:05
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
sleep used the british Matamp green amps which are in no way affiliated with the American Electric Amp Innovations, though electric amp DID distribute them to Sleep. Sleep used the green's for both bass and guitar and Laney Pro Tubes, and later in High on Fire, Matt Pike (singer/bassist) of sleep kept his crazy green guitar stack (1 green GTL?, 1 SS poweramp, 2 green 4x12's with celestions and 1 green 4x12 with eminences) for High On Fire before he ditched it for an assortment of Soldanos and a Laney Klipp.

Matamp was started by some dude called Mat Mathias (who built the S2000) and his friend. They got in a fight and his friend defected and created Orange amps (sometime in the 70s i believe?) which were originally marshall copies.

Regarding Electric Amp Innovations: long story short, Electric Amps used to be a matamp distributor and repair shop in the States and were getting short handed by the british matamp (getting shipped used amps when they paid for new, etc) so they defected, copyrighted and trademarked a bunch of names (like Green, white, red, purple, black) thus fucking over matamp. Thus matamp now actually NAMES their amps instead of just calling them different colours. Apparently most of the old Greens were GTO's or GTL's. The greens with a white panel and 2 rows of knobs are bass amps.

Green Amps, just like Blue amps, black amps, purple amps, white amps, red amps and even yellow amps, are ALL sites run by Electric amp innovations (www.electricamp.com)
Electric Amp is basically a more basic version of Matamp. Their options are very limited, and they use the same preamp in all of their amps (unless otherwise requested), and the only thing that really differs in options is the tube choice for your poweramp. They are REDICULOUSLY priced, and i'm still trying to figure if they're worth the money when i could get a perfectly fine matamp GT1 (combinations of GTO and GTL) FULLY customized for cheaper
I believe most electric amps are just GTL copies (higher gain GTO's) with master volume options. I honestly have no idea, they're really damn cryptic. I have NEVER, in my 3 years of scouring the internet, found ANY reviews or soundclips other than what the Clectric Amp site has to offer. Its crazy!

But anyways, GTL's are doom machines capable of inducing tinnitus near half volume
I know deadsy uses Blue Amps exclusively, download some of their songs (i know theyre pretty bad) to hear what they sound like when downtuned.

Oh, and did you see those cabinets? FUCKING BADASS! 6x12's... 4x15's... i get a boner every time i check out that site... and then my imagination makes my back hurt. (the website tells you how much they weigh )

Main reason theyre so expensive is that ALL parts are made in the USA and assembled in the USA and americans fancy themselves to make expensive things. Also, theyre using military EVERYTHING and military point to point construction which is very very very slow and tedious to build, thus expensive. Apparently theres an exactly 120 day turnaround from order to delivery.

Websites to see:

www.<insert colour here>amps.com <-- honestly, choose different colours and insert it
www.electricamp.com
www.planetoftheamps.com

WOW!!!!!!!!!! So do all the colours sound different or is it just the same amps but with different names and colours?

I would like to get one one day. But it's not my next purchase

Old 2007-11-02, 06:14
the_bleeding
Post-whore

im pretty sure all the colours are the same... but in different colours. Personally, i'd go for a purple, or a white. they just look so badass. Especially the whites with the knob labels in latin *drool*
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-11-02, 08:38
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:

I own serial #1 of the 6x12 cabinets.

Not a practical cab by any means. It sounds amazing, but it's furniture to me. An investment growing.

Old 2007-11-02, 16:25
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
I own serial #1 of the 6x12 cabinets.

Not a practical cab by any means. It sounds amazing, but it's furniture to me. An investment growing.

Man, every time i look at that picture in your sig i get sooo jealous. And serial #1? thats fuckin badass. I wonder how many they've actually made hahah.