MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-10-30, 22:40
jackson_metal_head
Senior Metalhead

New combo for brutal and classic death metal

yo, havent frequented these forums for a while now, nice to be back.

just wanted to ask some advice on a new head, i guess i can spend about 6 or 700£ on a combo.

i want the combo to be biting and brutal, think cryptopsy, later suffocation stuff, but also i would want it to be able to sound more toned down as id be playing a fair bit of classic death metal too, think obituary, also wouldnt mind getting morbid angel style tones out of it although i know trey mods all of his gear to shit haha

moving on, i would prefer if it was 2x12, oh and it HAS to be valve
dont mind if its second hand or brand new.

also dont suggest ampegs as im not looking for that uber-saturated tone.

thanks alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
Play some Defeated Sanity and brutalize the vagina.

summer is 'ere an' it's fuckin' fuckin' buzzin

Old 2007-10-30, 23:29
the_bleeding
Post-whore

biting and brutal? engl thunder or screamer... dont know which one specifically, but go try those out.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-10-30, 23:58
Soeru
Post-whore

I've never played the thunder or screamer but I really don't think they're really brutal at all man... at least not what I've heard from them. They have nothing to do with the Fireball or Powerball. But I guess it can't hurt to try them out.

Maybe the Marshall DSL401? That's the 2x12 version of the jcm2000dsl, and is in your price range.

You could push it and get a 6505 combo.

Is their any particular reason why it has to be a combo? You could probably get a really versatile high gain Laney head with a moderately decent cab for around that much I think, not sure how much stuff costs in the UK.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-31, 15:57
jackson_metal_head
Senior Metalhead

Its gotta be a combo because im tired of not being able to get a good tone out of my head and cab (4x12) due to not being able to crank it, i guess maybe a 212 cab could work, in which case id probay spend the whole budget on the head then use my existing 412 untill i can get a 212

but i would probably prefer a combo.

cheers for the advice.

Quote:

Old 2007-10-31, 17:25
Soeru
Post-whore

Umm, if it's a tube amp, you're generally going to have to play it relatively loud to get the most out of it, be it a 1x12, 2x12 combo, or a half stack. So don't think buying a 2x12 tube combo is going to be the solution to needing to crank your amp to get the best sound out of it. What amp and cab do you have, and are you going to sell them to get your new amp?

If all you want is less volume when you play at home, why not get an attenuator like the Weber MASS?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2007-10-31 at 17:28.

Old 2007-11-01, 13:19
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Umm, if it's a tube amp, you're generally going to have to play it relatively loud to get the most out of it, be it a 1x12, 2x12 combo, or a half stack. So don't think buying a 2x12 tube combo is going to be the solution to needing to crank your amp to get the best sound out of it. What amp and cab do you have, and are you going to sell them to get your new amp?

If all you want is less volume when you play at home, why not get an attenuator like the Weber MASS?

Agreed, you will run into the same problem with a tube combo. An attenuator would help, but part of the tones you are probably looking for come with playing at higher volumes. Why dont you try sticking the cabinet in a closet on in another room when you play?
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-11-01, 19:52
jackson_metal_head
Senior Metalhead

haha. hadnt really thought about doign anything like that before valtiel.

perhaps ill go with the attenuator idea and see what things sound like then, if not what solid state heads are around that give a more regular death metal tone instead of just uber saturated sludginess? (ive played my mates crate shockwave and played an ampeg and its not the tone im looking for)

cheers for the advice men, keep it coming!

Quote:

Old 2007-11-01, 19:57
Soeru
Post-whore

Maybe Randall type SS heads, but I really don't know. If you just want something quiet to practice with why don't you get a small portable amp, or a modeler and hook it up to some speakers?

Old 2007-11-01, 21:32
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Spider Valve

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.