MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-10-26, 05:46
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

What are some good shred guitars

I'm basically looking for something that plays very very fast, like a Parker or something. I just don't know where to start. I don't want a signature model or anything like that, just something that is high quality and has a low action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
What does "phag" stand for?

Old 2007-10-26, 06:06
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Ibanez & Vigier.

Old 2007-10-26, 06:23
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

I've heard Ibanez Gem and RG models are what a lot of shredders go for. I'm just not quite sure yet. I was playing my ESP Viper today and realized that I need something that plays quicker. I know a lot of it is technique when it comes to shred but I feel that a good guitar designed to play fast would make a world of difference.

Quote:

Old 2007-10-26, 06:44
Me himself
Supreme Metalhead

Go RG. You simply can't go wrong. They're built specifically for shredding down to the huge lower horn cavity, thin neck (but not too thin, like Jacksons, for example), flowing heel (real comfy), etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
Everyone is wrong.

Old 2007-10-26, 13:06
Soeru
Post-whore

I played a RG550 once with the wizard I neck and it enabled me to play faster than on anything else EVER. Get one and pop in some new pickups and you have a guitar with pro sound and playability. Other RG's are great, but try to stick to just the higher end Japanese made ones.

Also look into old Charvel Model 4, 5, and 6 guitars. I own a 5 neckthru and it rules, enormous frets that make shredding a pleasure, plus I got it for 400$. But the neck ain't as thin as an Ibanez though. The new Charvels are great but a little overpriced for a simple bolt on(1 grand) when you can fetch the old 80's Charvel or Jackson Professional neckthru guitars for about half.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-26, 14:33
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

^ +1

The bigger the frets the smoother things will feel shredwise.

Old 2007-10-26, 18:20
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I played a RG550 once with the wizard I neck and it enabled me to play faster than on anything else EVER. Get one and pop in some new pickups and you have a guitar with pro sound and playability. Other RG's are great, but try to stick to just the higher end Japanese made ones.

Amen to that. The neck on my 10 year old RG570 is the best neck I have ever played. I feel like it's MY neck, you know? I've been playing my Schecter C-1 for the past two years but I recently took out my RG and restrang it, and I never had more fun and ease playing. From then on I realized my Schecter wasn't going to be my primary guitar anymore so I bought a Xiphos instead, and I couldn't be happier. The Wizard II neck is fucking awesome.

I was telling Transient this the other day, but I played a Vigier Shawn Lane signature model (totally flat fretboard). OMFG. It was like a Parker and an RG's lovechild. So damn light and flat, like a heroin chic supermodel (but with better tone of course)

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-10-26 at 19:45.

Old 2007-10-26, 20:26
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

Would a Parker be a good choice for shred? I can't think of any metal guitarists who use Parkers so I'm kind of iffy on getting one. I'm afraid of sacrificing tone for shred-ability. The RG 550 looks killer but I don't think I have the patience to hunt one down, and I'd have to play it before purchasing it, making an e-bay purchase out of the question. Any other RG models worth looking into, specifically ones that are discontinued?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Quote:

Old 2007-10-26, 20:30
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Nah you definetly won't be sacrificing any tone by playing a Parker, they're extremely well made guitars. I think it'd be badass using a Parker for extreme shit. As for RG's I'd go with Soeru on this one and get a 550 or a 570 or one of these or these finer RGs. I mean especially for a RGR320EX which is only like $550 (that's how much my RG570 cost back in 1997) and has decent harware AND a Wizard II neck. Can't go wrong with that I think.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-10-26 at 20:37.

Old 2007-10-26, 20:57
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

I know Parkers are well made, and I have played a few but I noticed they have a very bright tone. Nothing the neck pickup can't fix though. Anyways, yeah, I think it would be badass to play extreme metal with a Parker. I'll look into those RG models more and see if I can get a feel for them. I'd rather end up with an Ibanez and save $2000 anyways.

Quote:

Old 2007-10-27, 07:41
Soeru
Post-whore

The guys from Akercocke play/played Parker guitars and basses.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-27, 10:06
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
The guys from Akercocke play/played Parker guitars and basses.

Beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Empire
I know Parkers are well made, and I have played a few but I noticed they have a very bright tone.

Aren't some (or all) made out of carbon fibre a composite or something?

Old 2007-10-27, 19:02
thedogwave
Metalhead

it's been said over and over but the wizard II neck is insanely fast and comfortable. my only complaint about rgs are the frets, i'd like something bigger.

Old 2007-10-27, 21:34
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

For about $500-600 you could also nab a used RG1570 on Ebay. Nicer than a 550, Japanese made, decent stock pickups, amazingly nice neck, original Edge Pro tremolo, etc. Put some DiMarzios on it and it'll be an incredible experience to play it.

Old 2007-10-27, 21:57
thedogwave
Metalhead

very true dude, go with something used if you can get a real edge pro. the licensed ibanez bridges are bad but not as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. if you plan on actually using the trem go for something with a real edge pro on it and not something licensed unless you have a lot of time to fuck with it.

Old 2007-10-28, 02:34
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

Thank you all for the recommendations. It means a lot to me. Personally, I hate and kind of floating bridge set up. It's not that I have a thing against whammy bar dives or anything I just hate how long it takes to change strings. So far everyone seems to recommend Ibanez RG series. I think I know what my next guitar will be, regardless of the floating bridge.

Quote:

Old 2007-10-28, 03:43
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

You can always just block off the floatingness with blocks of wood or you could get a Tremol-No to more professionally block it off. I use a Tremol-No myself and love it.

Old 2007-10-28, 05:05
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I have an RG270, I really don't like it too much. It could be because it is low-end.....My jackson Professional RR3 shreds 800x faster than my Ibanez.

Old 2007-10-28, 08:24
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
You can always just block off the floatingness with blocks of wood or you could get a Tremol-No to more professionally block it off. I use a Tremol-No myself and love it.

+1 get a tremol-no. Changing strings on a floyd is really not a hassle at all but if you want to save time I'd suggest you get the Tremol-no with the guitar. I really don't know of a great deal of fixed bridge shred guitars. There are a lot of ESP's and Schecters with fixed bridges but I wouldn't call them shred guitars at all, almost all shred guitars I know have a trem.

Old 2007-10-28, 15:28
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Empire
I know Parkers are well made, and I have played a few but I noticed they have a very bright tone. Nothing the neck pickup can't fix though. Anyways, yeah, I think it would be badass to play extreme metal with a Parker.

Really? How in the hell can you play death metal on a parker? I've played a few of them, and they feel like something you would buy at KB Toys to me. Just my opinion though.

In my experiences, Parkers and Vigiers don't really play that fast... I was gonna say a nice Ibanez RG or a USA Jackson V or KE2

Old 2007-10-28, 18:07
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
+1 get a tremol-no. Changing strings on a floyd is really not a hassle at all but if you want to save time I'd suggest you get the Tremol-no with the guitar. I really don't know of a great deal of fixed bridge shred guitars. There are a lot of ESP's and Schecters with fixed bridges but I wouldn't call them shred guitars at all, almost all shred guitars I know have a trem.

Actually, Ibanez has a whole line of fixed-bridge RGs. http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rg_fixed

Old 2007-10-28, 21:05
Midnight Empire
Senior Metalhead

That's good to hear because I really don't want a trem.

Quote:

Old 2007-11-12, 01:51
jesse vetrone
New Blood

you like pantera? I just got a Dean ml79' with floyd rose. trans brazilaburst

~-_-~PROS~-_-~

-beautiful
-liscenced floyd from dean is very high quality and stays in perfect tune
-balance of the guitar makes very comfortable standing and sitting
-the stock pickups roar, they total kick ass
-easy fret access
-great tone woods and materials
-perfect craftsman ship, binding, fretwork and other thing were beyond even gibsons ive played
-GIANT headstock looks cool and increases sustain
-ONLY $600!!!!!

~-_-~CONS~-_-~
-made in korea
-a bit heavy but the great balance of the guitar keeps it from becoming tiring or cumbersom
-only 2 cases available, the offical dean case and there is one coffin case that fits it.

Old 2007-11-12, 13:35
JOAMdude
Post-whore

WTF?
not spam right?

Old 2007-11-13, 19:46
jesse vetrone
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
WTF?
not spam right?

no dude I was just recomending a guitar, and telling him what i liked about it.

Old 2007-11-14, 01:47
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse vetrone
no dude I was just recomending a guitar, and telling him what i liked about it.

oh ok.
it just looked official for a first post.
well he doesn't want a tremolo on it, so he prolly wouldn't like the daen

Old 2007-12-07, 20:34
jesse vetrone
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
oh ok.
it just looked official for a first post.
well he doesn't want a tremolo on it, so he prolly wouldn't like the daen

6th post thank you very much. lol

Old 2007-12-09, 17:51
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

I have a Jackson KV2, and I can play way faster on that than any other guitar I have tried, and having played for 15 years, you can imagine I have tried quite a few.

It does have a trem, but if I remember correctly, you could get it with the Kahler 3310(?) fixed bridge.

I have had it for about 6 years and it plays just as well today as it did when I first bought it.

Last edited by Musician1978 : 2007-12-09 at 17:53.

Old 2007-12-10, 12:09
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I like Jackson's but it is kinda hit of mess with the cheaper modals. Some are about perfect while others of the same model are made with inferior materials or play poorly. Much like low end BC Rich. Just the low end models though.

Ibanez is a great brand with less defects than the Jackson models but stay with the mid cost models. Regardless with either Jackson of Ibanez I would replace the electronics. For the most part you get what you pay for with mid to high end stuff but it is super easy to get a great guitar and not pay a shit load on low end cost stuff. It just takes time, looking, and playing them until you find the freak of the breed.

I also have to plug Ran Guitars in here, even though they don't cost what they did a years back, they are the best I have ever used. Hand built detail and playability.