MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-10-22, 20:04
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Celestion or Eminence

I desperately new speakers in my old 4X12 cab. I am stuck between these two companies.
I heard very good things about both, but more so for Celestion. Only reason for that is, imo, celestion is more popular.
Were i to go for that company, i'd either grab 4 v30s, or 2 v30s and 2 G12k-100s.
With eminence, i don't even know. Man o wars seem cool, the band kicks ass, so they could be good, haha. Or even texas heat (which are apparently in krank cabs?) The wizard, or black powder seem cool too. Any combination of these speakers i would like.
Possibly a mixture of both
Based on experience, any one have any information on sound quality, and other stuff? I play a lot of Lamb of God, megadeth, symphony-x, nile, deicide, cacophony...basically a lot of different kinds of metal.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-10-22, 23:45
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

I have a cab with Eminence Man-O-Wars and they sound great all around. I also have a cab with Eminence P50e's(they come stock in VHT Fatbottom cabs), which are awesome for metal. I also have some Eminence Swamp Thangs that sound HUGE.

I'd say overall I like Eminence more than Celestion. That's not to say there is anything wrong with Celestion. They make great speakers. I even have a Pair of G12-80's in the bottom of my Mesa Halfback cab and they sound killer.

Old 2007-10-23, 21:33
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

well i want an incredibly bass-y but handles highs without peircing ears. I'm playing out of a triple rectifier, and these G12t-80's are not doing it any favors.

Old 2007-10-23, 22:39
Soeru
Post-whore

V30's are the only common good speakers i have experience with, I have them in a Framus 2x12, I recommend them, I'd be safe assuming most if not all of those bands use v30's, and that's really what Recto cabs come with so you can't go wrong.

I also used to have a Mode 4 4x12 with G12K-100s which sounded massive as well although a bit too scooped, not in a bad or muddy way it's just that the treble was a little hard to tame at high volumes(by no means a thin sounding cab, it weighs a good 42kg). That would probably do wonders for really dark amps though, and the low end was thunder-like and very tight.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-24, 00:11
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

theoretically, would it be a good call to put 2 v30s and 2 g12k-100s in my cab diagonally? They are the same price down here, and i would love some sort of varied tone..i think kerry king has that.

Old 2007-10-24, 02:14
the_bleeding
Post-whore

eminence same price as celestion? you're getting ripped off! Manowars should only be about 80$, and celestions around 120. =/
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-10-24, 08:29
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
theoretically, would it be a good call to put 2 v30s and 2 g12k-100s in my cab diagonally? They are the same price down here, and i would love some sort of varied tone..i think kerry king has that.

Most people combine v30's with GT-75's I think, not G12K-100's. Not exactly sure what model it was, search google for the Bogner uberkab, it has that same configuration in an X pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
eminence same price as celestion? you're getting ripped off! Manowars should only be about 80$, and celestions around 120. =/

Depends who you buy em from, wholesalers or retail shops I guess. Thomann.de(german e-store) has a proprietary brand called Harley Benton that makes (shoddily built, but good value)2x12 and 4x12 cabs with v30's that end up costing LESS than buying 2 or 4 v30's separately!

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-24, 12:53
sqol
Post-whore

Personally, i'm an Eminence man myself. I've got a couple of Red Coat The Guv'nors in an open backed 2x12 that i built, and they sound massive, i'd love to have a set in a closed 4x12, but i certainly prefer these to the stock ones in my 1936 2x12.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-10-24, 20:04
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

well 80 and 120 is close IMO, lol. I can splurge the 40$ if i'm getting a new set of speakers.
I'll probably just get a full set of v30s...there seems to be too many eminence speakers to choose...and i'm lookin for a v30 sound, i just didn't want to do the same as everyone else y'know? Eminence seemed pretty metal.