MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-10-18, 22:31
tripton
New Blood

At the Gates Reunion

For those of you who don't read blabbermouth, At the Gates is re-forming and planning on doing some European festivals in 2008. Also, their webpage has been updated with a Q&A section. here is a useful quote from that, and I know I've been wanting this question answered for a long time. I think I remember Tomas or Anders might have answered this question in the linear notes of the re-release of SoftheS, but i lost the notes long ago.

2007-10-02:
Q: I know it's been 11 years or so since Slaughter Of The Soul was released,
but the guitar tone is legendary! Do you remember any of the guitar set-up
in the studio? Such as heads, pickups, or pedals? Thanks so much! (Shibby)

A(Anders): I remember some of it, but not 100%. I had a PEAVEY supreme 160 amp(which is solid state) playing on the clean channel. I had two distortion pedals (serial), one BOSS HEAVY METAL (on 0 distortion) to get the crunch.The main pedal was BOSS METAL ZONE. The cab was home built (by Me and my dad) so I don't remember. I guess it was 2x12" and 2x10" speakers (Celestion). The guitar I used was an Ibanez Maxxas with an EMG-81 in the bridge. We used 2 SHURE SM57 to mike it up..

Old 2007-10-19, 01:52
Requiem
Post-whore

Kewl?

Old 2007-10-22, 21:04
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

On the first reissue (I hear Earache have/are reissuing it again soon/recently) of Slaughter of the Soul, the gear Anders used for the album is explained by Tomas Lindberg.

Old 2007-10-22, 21:34
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Pretty cool, they used some really low-tech shit but still got a pretty decent tone. Testament to their skill as well.

Old 2007-10-22, 22:55
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

badass! i love atg.. i hope they don't neglect us over here in north america..i'd drive pretty far to see them play.

not that i care one way or another..but shouldn't this have been posted in the bands or tours sections?

Old 2007-10-22, 23:12
Transient
HES BAAACK

everyones clamoring to get them on mdf 08 but i dont think the promoters have the money for that

Old 2007-10-22, 23:54
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

they play at wacken, which will probably mean they get paid some serious cash for it to be an exclusive show in 08, just like they did with carnivore and possessed. but of course im not sure

Old 2007-10-23, 03:07
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Damn, I would have NEVER guessed that is how they got their sound. Very interesting - shows you what you don't necessarily need tons of cash to get a good sound (although you never know how much mixing was done in the studio to make it sound better - I've never heard them live)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrafcorex
badass! i love atg.. i hope they don't neglect us over here in north america..i'd drive pretty far to see them play.

not that i care one way or another..but shouldn't this have been posted in the bands or tours sections?

The title makes it sound like it should but since its talking about guitar tone and gear I'm going to move it to gear.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2007-10-23, 06:05
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
everyones clamoring to get them on mdf 08 but i dont think the promoters have the money for that

I plan on trying to get at least a limited media pass for MDF08, so if ATG is the "to be announced" band that will be playing, I'm going to shit a fucking brick.

Pretty interesting gear choices. Never would have thought a combination like that could rip.

Awesome.

Old 2007-10-23, 14:39
the_bleeding
Post-whore

makes me feel like a schoolgirl again... wati... i mean... uh...

I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!