MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-10-14, 00:17
WinterCall
New Blood

Suggestions for learning through music

Hi, I've been playing guitar for a couple of months now and have been playing mostly Metallica and some of Troys books, but I'd like to know some songs which would I would probably be able to play if I work at it. Although everyone tells me to play what I like, I often find it hard either because it requires very fast picking or is something that I don't learn anything from.

Therefore I'd appreciate it if anyone can recommend a few songs that aren't overly difficult or fast and improve my guitar playing.

Thanks.

Old 2007-10-14, 01:11
7-string warlord
Post-whore

This will probably get flamed as a crappy song or something, but I basicly learned the fundamentals from the Children of Bodom song "Sixpounder" just don't learn the solos, but it has a lot of everything.

Old 2007-10-14, 08:12
Soeru
Post-whore

Learn some Megadeth, like stuff from peace sells, killing is my business, or rust in peace. It's a challenge for novices and sometimes intermediates, you'll really advance quite a bit learning those songs. Try starting off with Tornado of Souls?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-14, 11:13
Amadeus
Quantum.

Consider Soueros sig above - say what you like about Green Day, but they have the basics, pick up an album like American Idiot and learn it.
Nightwish is also a good band for progessing, start out with something like Beauty and the Beast on Angels Fall First, where the lazy fuck is basically strumming power chords in different rythm patterns all the way. Once you can play along to Wishmaster and Pharaoh sails to Orion, you know you're getting somewhere.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2007-10-14, 16:32
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
..., or rust in peace

play for a few months, and start off with tornado of souls?! including the solo, that song was hard for me when i was playing for like 4 years (it isnt hard now, but that's beside the point) Killing is my business, peace sells, and so far so good so what are easy, i mean, poland, common. Rust in peace is friedman, ridiculously hard to learn a lot of stuff from that album, especially if you can't play metallica.
But to the original topic. That Job for a Cowboy (although terrible) are really easy to play, and they can be considered metal, go for that?
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-10-15, 18:36
Requiem
Post-whore

Learn:

Kalmah - Evil In You
Amon Amarth - Fate of the Norns
Cannibal Corpse -Striped, Raped and Strangled

Instead of learning others work, you could create your own songs on guitar- master scales.

Old 2007-10-16, 05:10
metalpro
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterCall
Hi, I've been playing guitar for a couple of months now and have been playing mostly Metallica and some of Troys books, but I'd like to know some songs which would I would probably be able to play if I work at it. Although everyone tells me to play what I like, I often find it hard either because it requires very fast picking or is something that I don't learn anything from.

Therefore I'd appreciate it if anyone can recommend a few songs that aren't overly difficult or fast and improve my guitar playing.

Thanks.

if you plan on writing your own music, id suggest instructional videos and guitar lessons. if you learn too many cover songs you wont be able to find your own style of writing.

scream when u feel the pain. i probly wont stop.