MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-10-09, 10:45
Soeru
Post-whore

Dimarzio Evo 2?

I was considering a d-activator for one of my guitars but I can't find them anywhere so I figure I'd go with a more commonly found pickup like the evo 2. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this pickup in the bridge position? I was considering a normal evo for my low tuned 6 string but I was suggested an evo 2 instead as it has slightly less gain and no "ice pick" treble response, and a shit ton of mids so it stays very clear in high gain situations. Just want to know what you think of it for tech-y death metal rhythm guitar.

It has the same 375 mV of output that the tonezone has that I have in my guitar so I wouldn't need to adjust my playing/attack to get used to it. I like the TZ but it's a little too bassy for my neckthru guitar that I tune to B, which I use in a band situation so I want the most cutting and balanced sound possible. I think the TZ would sound better in another guitar I have that I don't tune low and don't play out with.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-11, 23:21
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

i have 1 in my ibanez prestige

its decent, tons of mids is def very accurate, cuts through very well, great for leads,

HOWEVER, sometimes it lacks some balls, and sometime soon i will be replacin it for this reason, it could use more bass and a touch more gain

however if yer lookin to play a whole bunch of leads this would be a great choice or if you are looking for more of a necrophagist/spawn of possession type tone

anything that needs alot of clarity this pickup would deliver, but not so much for heavy shit!

Old 2007-10-12, 00:18
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro_Butcher
spawn of possession type tone

I'm fucking sold!

You know, the tonezone sounds like exactly the type of pickup you want, more bass(but about the same output). What I want is the opposite, less bass, because my guitar is a neckthru and I tune to B(and my amp is quite bass heavy) with it so the bass is a little overpowering and wooly on the low registers at times. So I want to tame the bass with a more balanced pickup. Great to hear the evo 2 sounds good for leads, I also hear that its cleans has are wonderful. The TZ is also very good for leads btw! If you want something like the tonezone but with more output check out the super 2 or super 3 I think they have the same exact EQ curve.

The output on the TZ is the same as the evo 2 and I only play brutal stuff with that guitar, it's enough for me.

Thx.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2007-10-12 at 00:23.