MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2007-10-02, 17:03
Venom of God
New Blood

Amp settings/tone!

My new amp finally arrived the other day, a 350watt Hartke head with a 400watt XL cab (with a driver), and straight up it slaaaayed my old amp (a 10watt Samick haha!), but I've always been bad at dialing in a decent tone and wondered if anyone could give me any hints?

I mainly play 80s hair metal stuff these days, and some death metal on the side. Below is a picture of how I set it up, but really I have very little idea of what I'm doing when it comes to settings and could probably get a nicer sound (not that I'm unhappy with it, just if I can get a nicer tone then it would be stupid to not utilize it!).

Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ampsettings.jpg

Old 2007-10-02, 20:41
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Well the first thing you have to do is get rid of the scoop. Scooping out your mids is a cool when you are playing by yourself but will get completely lost in the band mix. Mids are where your volume is. You should set all your sliders flat and go from there. What kind if bass are you using btw?
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-10-03, 02:12
Venom of God
New Blood

So set them all flat again and just gradually move them about? Any certain frequencies that I should be boosting or cutting generally speaking?

My bass is an Epiphone Explorer, not bad for the price but lately I've thought it lacked a bit of definition... will have to last for a fair while still though, as next I would reaaaally like a Warwick Buzzard, but they are super expensive and I'm definately not good enough to warrant having one yet hehe.

Old 2007-10-03, 10:23
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

I would say that the majority of your lack of definition comes from the mids that you are cutting on your amp. At some point you will probably have to upgrade your bass because that will start holding you back. As far as the EQ, start flat and do small tweaks. If you have problems hearing yourself during gigs or practice, boost your mids up a bit.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:

Old 2007-10-03, 23:56
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
I would say that the majority of your lack of definition comes from the mids that you are cutting on your amp. At some point you will probably have to upgrade your bass because that will start holding you back. As far as the EQ, start flat and do small tweaks. If you have problems hearing yourself during gigs or practice, boost your mids up a bit.

just listen to valtiel he has pwned me at all tech talk whenever i try to give advice lol

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2007-10-04, 11:35
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist_of_light
just listen to valtiel he has pwned me at all tech talk whenever i try to give advice lol

LOL! No pwning, just learning!

Quote:

Old 2007-10-05, 01:56
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

he he, all i know is that you know ALOT about gear. Know I must wonder if with your far superior knowledge of gear how good you are on the actual bass????

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2007-10-05, 06:48
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist_of_light
he he, all i know is that you know ALOT about gear. Know I must wonder if with your far superior knowledge of gear how good you are on the actual bass????

Hah that IS the question isnt it! I used to try to be super technical back when I played a lot of DT, I eventually took a less is more kind of approach, especially when I started playing more guitar.

Back on topic, have you tried any of this advice out yet Venom?

Quote: