MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-10-01, 22:56
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Tired of mega-heavy gauge strings

Hey guys, here's something that's been bugging me for a while now.
I've been using 11's to 70's on my Schecter C1-Classic tuned to C# for a damn long time now. I know I don't have to be using such huge strings to be tuning that low but I never bothered to figure out how I can go to a lighter set while staying tuned down. Now I feel like I'd love to go lighter. The top three strings are no biggie (.11, .14, .18) but I'm through with having a .52 and .70 at the bottom, it just seems overkill to me now. I mean after all even an Ibanez Universe's low B string comes in .56 so what the hell?
The thing I'm not so sure about is what I'd have to do to my Schecter to adjust to the lighter gauge so the strings don't flop about. I understand it'd be something to do with the truss rod, just, I have no idea what. It's not a Floyd Rose either, just a stop tailpiece. How can I set up my Schecter so it'll get along with, say, 10s to 56s for tuning to C#?
I'm really looking forward to playing with a normal gauge like the rest of the world.

Old 2007-10-02, 00:02
Soeru
Post-whore

70 is overkill for C sharp, only use 70 for A(Karl sanders uses this).

For C# anything above 52 but below 59 is good for me. Look for 56 or 54-12(Dean Markley).

There are also some cool GHS sets that are 58-11, I loved em for C though I'd like it more if the treble strings were tighter than that.

My Ibanez UV has 59-11's and with that I tune to B, A# and now am trying plain A(figuring out Demilich songs), works great. I also used another set of the same strings for my 6 string in B, taking out the high 11, so it ends up being 59-13. REALLY awesome for B.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-02, 00:54
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Schecter C-1 Classic? 25.5" scale right?

With that scale, you should be fine with 11-52's. I was using 11-52's for Drop C on my 24.75" guitar and it was fine. I recently uptuned to Eb though because i love the feel of tightness. If you want tighter, 12-56's will be plenty tight for C#
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-10-02, 04:53
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

I do love the feel of tightness, although it makes me wonder when I think I could be playing with a .56 as opposed to a freakin' .70 down there... yikes. I had to file the hole in the 6th string capstan just to make those goddamn things fit through (and I thought that was perfectly alright, haha!)
The scale is in fact 25 1/2 inches. Seems like I'll be able to just put 12 - 56s on and not have to make any tweaks, which is awesome. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Old 2008-01-19, 16:23
29A
New Blood

ernie ball's "not-even-slinky" strings

12-16-24-32-44-56

use them on my schecter hellraiser, tuned mostly to drop B or C

Old 2008-01-20, 08:14
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

D'Addario EXL145 (12-54 with a plain 3rd) works for me in C# for my Hellraiser.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project