MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-09-29, 22:55
Soeru
Post-whore

New line 6 modeler: Pod X3

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hoz7Yw81k0w

Sounds fucking amazing. But some people just say that the guitar models are still the old XT ones with the bonus packs included...

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-30, 00:21
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

Fuck yeah! I'm getting one. I was about to buy the XT live with the bonus packs, anyways.

Old 2007-09-30, 04:21
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

2 guitars

It says in that video that you can run two guitars through their own chain at the same time, but there is only one 1/4 in jack. Can you run a guitar through the XLR?

Also it has S/PDIF out. Hell yeahs.

Old 2007-09-30, 04:32
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Same old mediocre stuff Line 6 has been doing forever. They really need to get their heads out of their asses and stop take a quantity over quality approach. No one needs 78 guitar amp models! Especially when they all still sound lackluster.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-09-30, 08:00
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Same old mediocre stuff Line 6 has been doing forever. They really need to get their heads out of their asses and stop take a quantity over quality approach. No one needs 78 guitar amp models! Especially when they all still sound lackluster.

Except they don't, listen to the demos of the amp models, definitely doesn't sound like crap. But I do agree there is just too much shit on there that few people will ever use. If you just want the guitar sounds I think you should get a used XT and get the upgrade pack.

I'd like to get a pod for playing straight into a mixer/PA but if they don't bump down the prices of XT's within the next few months then I'm never going to buy a line 6 product ever. Their new pocket pod is a festering heap of shite. I'm tired of fucking waiting for them to lower their price for the XT it's been out for several years now.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2007-09-30 at 08:06.

Old 2007-09-30, 10:22
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Played the pod x3 live (the floorboard version) in Germany.

If you don't have a lot to spend it may be a cool gimmick to fake a bunch of good amps. But imho it's definetly not worth the 700 bucks!

I mainly tried amps I know, like the Powerball, Diezel Herbert, Triple recto, Diezel VH4, Soldano SLO100/SP88, VOX ac30, Bogner Uberschall and none of them sounded like the real thing. Sure, they sound a bit like them but saying it's a perfect simulation is 100% bullshit.

Ok, the stomp-box modelling is better now but that's not why you buy a POD, right?

I'de rather own one of the real things then 50 half-assed ones. I'm just lucky I got a few to compare with

I'de advise anyone to play the real thing next to the POD X3, sound demo's don't mean shit. Especially if they're from Line 6 themselves, that doesn't only count for Line 6, all boutique brands with soundclips do the same.
I had the chance to play a lot of the amps that are in the X3, I even tried some next to it and I really wasn't impressed.

Old 2007-09-30, 12:27
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

700 Bucks?
You can get a decent combo for that. Not even second hand.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2007-09-30, 12:50
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Hell, you can even find a really good used tube head for that ammount.

Old 2007-09-30, 13:33
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

list price.

Old 2007-09-30, 13:45
Soeru
Post-whore

Yeah the x3 live is 500 silly, 400 for the bean model.

Old 2007-09-30, 14:17
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Well, they're trying to sell it for the list price in Germany.

Don't worry though, it's still not worth 500.

Old 2007-09-30, 14:33
Soeru
Post-whore

What they should've done this year is: not introduce the pocket pod gimmick, lower the price of the PodXT's and 2.0's, and sell the X3's at 300-350 like the XT's sell now. Not keep the price the same on the old outdated models and make the new models more expensive, cunts.

Old 2007-09-30, 15:11
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Just simple market economics really...

They will still sell plenty. POD's are pretty popular among the general guitar public. Keep in mind that loads of people just play for fun and want an amp or amp modeller that can do a LOT of tones and effects, just to have fun with.
Line 6 was smart to come up with the POD and it's been marketed pretty well.

Not all their marketing ideas work that well though, look at the Vetta, it sold like crap. People shopping in that price range usually buy a real boutique amp.
I played the Vetta as well and sure it's versatile but no way I'll spend that kind of money on a star ship enterprise with 20.000 sound options whilst I'm only using two of them. (so I got some amps that can do those two better)

Maybe the X3 marketing will backfire, if it does prices will drop and maybe they'll stop making the XT's and 2.0's. Who knows.

Old 2007-09-30, 21:50
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Except they don't, listen to the demos of the amp models, definitely doesn't sound like crap. But I do agree there is just too much shit on there that few people will ever use. If you just want the guitar sounds I think you should get a used XT and get the upgrade pack.

I'd like to get a pod for playing straight into a mixer/PA but if they don't bump down the prices of XT's within the next few months then I'm never going to buy a line 6 product ever. Their new pocket pod is a festering heap of shite. I'm tired of fucking waiting for them to lower their price for the XT it's been out for several years now.

The demos dont sound like anything new to me. The 5160 preset (clever ) sounds pretty so so. The Steel Bends preset sounds muddy as hell. It just dosent pull off what its trying to do half as good as the real thing in most cases. The mid-gain tones sound a little better but that seems to be about it.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-10-01, 03:15
Bones98
Post-whore

Damn, this is fucking sick. Can we use old patches and shit from the XT on the X3?

Old 2007-10-02, 05:14
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah this is a definite improvement over everything they've ever done, FEATURE-wise. The dual-rig thing, the fact that they put the bass and vocal stuff in there, I think that's awesome. Yet, there's no way in hell I would ever trade my Ampeg VH140c for this, and $500 is pretty damn high. If there are no new and/or improved amp models I say what the hell's the point... like people have been saying, it's just too much. I stopped using Line 6 stuff because I realized I was using only four sounds out of the thousands of possibilities my XT Live could provide. And the distortion sucked for live playing. My take will always be - it's the rig you cheat on your main rig with. Awesome for direct recording and messing around, but at night you just want to come home to a real amp and a real cab and just fucking play.

Old 2007-10-02, 23:38
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

They finally updated their website.

From the FAQ:
What sonic improvements does POD X3 have over PODxt?

While the model set in POD X3 is based on the amps and effects from PODxt, we redesigned many of the models to take advantage of improved components in POD X3 including its more powerful processors and converters - resulting in what we believe is a new level of clarity and sonic definition.

Hopefully there is a noticeable difference.

EDIT:
I have a separate output on my guitar for the piezo bridge pickup. I wonder if I could run that through the XLR input somehow. That would be awesome.

Last edited by aslkvbiwbegv : 2007-10-02 at 23:41.

Old 2007-10-03, 00:26
Soeru
Post-whore

They already said you can run 2 guitars into it with separate effects, so there must either be another 1/4 jack in or the XLR plug is the neutrik type that fits a 1/4 in the center. If not just buy an adapter.

Old 2007-10-04, 22:23
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

Mine

I bought it from Musicians Friend but it's backordered (not surprising).

Do people ever run them through keyboard amps?

Old 2007-10-05, 00:43
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslkvbiwbegv
I bought it from Musicians Friend but it's backordered (not surprising).

Do people ever run them through keyboard amps?

Yes, as well as monitors too, or flat response amps like the Atomic.

Old 2007-10-05, 21:30
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

Guitar Center

I was at guitar center trying out a rg7321, and I asked them if they had the x3 yet. The salesman said "Yeah, man, we just got them today. It's the most powerful pod ever." What a tool. Straight from the line6 website: http://line6.com/podx3live/. I hate the salesmen at guitar center.

Old 2007-10-05, 22:32
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

I don't think it's discussed here. But I figure since Line 6 is the topic...

Mr. Bogner got together with Line 6 to make some hybrid amps the right way. 6l6 tube power sections with Line 6 modelling preamp sections spun off of the spider layout, though improved. These amps are called "Spider Valves". Priced reasonable too. Can't wait to see if they actually make a hybrid out of one of their better amp lines like the Flextones or Vetta's.

As usual. Some will call it a gimmick, some will be stoked as fuck and love it. Just Thought I'd drop the news for those who haven't heard.

Old 2007-10-05, 23:49
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I heard some stories about that as well. I'm not a fan of modelling amps but if Bogner is involved, fans of modelling amps will definetly need to check it out.

Old 2007-10-06, 08:31
Soeru
Post-whore

The spider valves do look very interesting, what kind of price are they going to have?

Old 2007-10-11, 17:20
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

Got mine on Yuesday. It's badass.

Old 2007-10-25, 17:26
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
I don't think it's discussed here. But I figure since Line 6 is the topic...

Mr. Bogner got together with Line 6 to make some hybrid amps the right way. 6l6 tube power sections with Line 6 modelling preamp sections spun off of the spider layout, though improved. These amps are called "Spider Valves". Priced reasonable too. Can't wait to see if they actually make a hybrid out of one of their better amp lines like the Flextones or Vetta's.

As usual. Some will call it a gimmick, some will be stoked as fuck and love it. Just Thought I'd drop the news for those who haven't heard.

Cool, but sounds basicly what you get when you insert your pod into a atomic reactor.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2007-10-25, 21:30
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

My homie (jaxadam) tried the spider valve and lots of nice things to say about it. As far as the his style (shredding, sweeping leads) he said its sick as hell. Not sure about the rhythm section...I would have to determine for myself.

The x3 looks enticing, but 700 for the floor model is a little ridiculous.

I can understand Def's opinion...no way you can really compare a sim. to a real tube amp screaming next to you. NO FUCKING WAY. It isn't justifiable.

However, the fact that they have Vetta tech. packed in now and seriously sweet as hell. At one point I was willing to send Line 6 a letter everyday until they conformed.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2007-10-25, 21:51
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

spidervalve doing high gain:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QoN5uGINNh8

Old 2007-10-26, 00:45
jaxadam
Senior Metalhead

Yes, Spider Valve was pretty sick. Lead and cleans absolutely kill on this thing. Rhythm seemed a little flubby, but I bet with an OD pedal cranked, it will sound killer.

I'll definitely be picking one up.