MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-09-28, 13:10
Soeru
Post-whore

Dimarzio d-activator clips anyone?

I know there's a few people here who have the D-activators, could any of you please share some samples of it? I'd particularly like to hear samples from the guy that also has an Engl Fireball(forgot his username), as I have the same amp so I'd have a more accurate idea of what it sounds like. I'm probably going to buy one for the bridge pos. and I'm thinking of putting it in my neckthru guitar that is tuned to B as it might help with clarity a little, as I have a tonezone in it and I think would be better fit for one of my other guitars that I don't tune as low. If anyone has any clips they can share i'd appreciate it.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-28, 21:37
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I know there's a few people here who have the D-activators, could any of you please share some samples of it? I'd particularly like to hear samples from the guy that also has an Engl Fireball(forgot his username), as I have the same amp so I'd have a more accurate idea of what it sounds like. I'm probably going to buy one for the bridge pos. and I'm thinking of putting it in my neckthru guitar that is tuned to B as it might help with clarity a little, as I have a tonezone in it and I think would be better fit for one of my other guitars that I don't tune as low. If anyone has any clips they can share i'd appreciate it.

Hi I'm Jo

Clips coming

I also have V30's

Old 2007-09-28, 22:10
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Gonna have to wait till tomorrow, people are sleeping.

Anyway my clarity improved loads when i got a 4x12" with V30's. Also the D Activator is the clearest pickup i have ever had.

Old 2007-09-28, 22:37
satan's shedder
Metalhead

Also the D Activator is the clearest pickup i have ever had.
Today 14:37
Jopop Quote:

very true I can tune down where usaully my strings are all muddy and with these it just pure awsomeness.

Old 2007-09-28, 23:56
Soeru
Post-whore

Haha I thought it was gorath23 who had the d-activators for some reason, he also has the same setup I have. Awesome, looking forward to it. I have v30's in my Framus 2x12 cab too. Let me know your fireball settings too so I can set mine similarly and attempt to compare it.

I like the tonezone in my 6-string neckthru Charvel but with it tuned to B with 59-13's it doesn't really complement it too well, trying to do any fast stuff on the low registers becomes kind of hard to hear, too much bass and not enough treble, shit tons of mids though. For leads the depth is huge, but I'm normally not playing many leads on this guitar/tuning.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-29, 09:15
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Haha I thought it was gorath23 who had the d-activators for some reason, he also has the same setup I have. Awesome, looking forward to it. I have v30's in my Framus 2x12 cab too. Let me know your fireball settings too so I can set mine similarly and attempt to compare it.

I like the tonezone in my 6-string neckthru Charvel but with it tuned to B with 59-13's it doesn't really complement it too well, trying to do any fast stuff on the low registers becomes kind of hard to hear, too much bass and not enough treble, shit tons of mids though. For leads the depth is huge, but I'm normally not playing many leads on this guitar/tuning.

I can't really tune it past C# though cause it's too sloppy, I'll do some tech brutal for you

Old 2007-09-29, 19:52
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

I'm seriously thinking about putting one fo these in teh bridge of my carvin, but i do'nt know if it will be too bright. The pickup in it (some carvin pup) is too bright. Koa body neckthrough maple neck, ebony fretboard. Would they be too really bright on it?

Old 2007-09-29, 22:53
Soeru
Post-whore

It might be an inherited quality of your guitar, but the d-activator doesn't seem like a really bright pickup, seems to have the same eq curve of an EMG-81 so it's pretty flat (bass 6, mid 6, treble 6.5). If you don't downtune that guitar though I'd get something that's warmer.

Old 2007-09-30, 00:52
satan's shedder
Metalhead

I dont think you would have any trouble with it being to bright. plus this pickup for me atlease is very sensitive to my eq settings witch I like because if I think my sounds a little I just add some bass and it seems to smooth things out I dont thing you can go wrong with this pickup except if you are planning a lot of cleans. IDK if its just my amps settings cuz I dont play very much cleans at all but they werent that good but for dis. its fucking amzing how the attack is just so sharp and sensitive

Old 2007-09-30, 03:53
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Remember, the higher output the pickup, the darker it will tend to be. From what I gather the D-Activator is pretty high output.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-09-30, 08:08
Soeru
Post-whore

Not necessarily, the dimarzio x2n is the highest output pickup dimarzio has and it's also one of the brightest. The eq curve on the D-activator is bass 6, mid 6, and treb 6.5, and output is 425mV like the super distortion, but the super has bass 8 mid 8 and less treble I think, like 6.

The Evo is also about the same output and is really trebly.

Old 2007-09-30, 16:04
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Remember, the higher output the pickup, the darker it will tend to be. From what I gather the D-Activator is pretty high output.

thats the general rule, but theres things to do to get around this.

example: eq change from different magnets, ceramics tend to have more trebel and less mids than alnico. Or different wire guage, or different wire type. What boggles my mind is how a Super 2 has an output of 425mv but only a DC resistance of something like 8.somethingk vs the super distortions 14.somethingK? the wires in it must be HUGE. And i heard different winding patterns achieve different things, but i dont know anything about that.

I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-09-30, 18:10
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopop
I can't really tune it past C# though cause it's too sloppy, I'll do some tech brutal for you

Hey man I'm still waiting for it.

I found some gearwire review for it on youtube. They sound pretty cool but the guy is tuned to standard and have no idea what amp he's using.

Old 2007-10-01, 12:46
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Yeah I'd be interested in hearing this, I want some smoother pups for recording leads.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project