MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-09-20, 12:12
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Which is V1 tube in Fireball?

Well, I'm messing around with preamp tubes in my Engl but I don't know which is V1, V2, PI etc. I haven't managed to get as good a sound with it compared to the original tubes. So am I right in thinking that (looking from the front of the amp i.e. through the metal grille.) V1 is farthest left, then V2, V3 and the PI is furthest right?

EDIT: Never mind I cracked it, for those of you with Fireballs the best combination for me was V1: Gold pin Electro Harmonix 12ax7 V2: JJ 12ax7 V3: Mullard 12ax7 and my last JJ went in the PI. Sounds damned crazy. I must admit the tubes made much less of a difference to sound than I expected, apart from the EH being v.quiet and slightly tighter than the others. Maybe it makes a bigger difference at higher volumes

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Last edited by gorath23 : 2007-09-20 at 17:43.

Old 2007-09-20, 21:48
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

The V1 will almost always be whatever tube is closest to the input jack.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-09-20, 22:12
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorath23
Well, I'm messing around with preamp tubes in my Engl but I don't know which is V1, V2, PI etc. I haven't managed to get as good a sound with it compared to the original tubes. So am I right in thinking that (looking from the front of the amp i.e. through the metal grille.) V1 is farthest left, then V2, V3 and the PI is furthest right?

EDIT: Never mind I cracked it, for those of you with Fireballs the best combination for me was V1: Gold pin Electro Harmonix 12ax7 V2: JJ 12ax7 V3: Mullard 12ax7 and my last JJ went in the PI. Sounds damned crazy. I must admit the tubes made much less of a difference to sound than I expected, apart from the EH being v.quiet and slightly tighter than the others. Maybe it makes a bigger difference at higher volumes

Yes, tubes hardly make a hearable difference

That setup doesn't sound crazy to me, you probably like it

Old 2007-09-20, 23:04
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopop

+1

the only time you'll hear a huge difference is when you switch 14 year old pieces of shit for some brand new ones.

gave me better attack, better tone, LESS NOISE, less microphonics, consistent volume...
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-09-22, 09:31
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopop

That setup doesn't sound crazy to me, you probably like it

haha, no I meant crazy in that it sounds amazing! I'm just glad to have the ENGL back after a less than brutal-sounding two weeks, with only my dads Fender Blues Jnr to play

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

Old 2007-09-22, 09:44
Soeru
Post-whore

Going from stock engl pre tubes to all JJ's in the pre section did make a noticeable change in EQ for me. Treble is a lot more smooth and bass is boomier, putting one of the old Engl tubes back in it in V1 did give it a tad more clarity and treble. But unfortunately that tube went bad and I had to put the JJ back in. Doesn't sound bad with my current tubes now it's just a little too smooth and not metallic-sounding enough unless I use quite a bit of presence which I'm not a big fan of, but it works.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-22, 15:36
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

I would have said that the current tubes I have in there sound almost identical to the stock ones (which is good imo) except it just has a 'bigger' sound. Crisp, tight and aggressive. I'd certainly try out something from the Sovtek stable, either the EH or the Tung-sol, as they did sound better and clearer than the JJ or the Mullard in V1. Its all personal opinion in the end though.

Engl Fireball
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A