MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-09-15, 06:34
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

invader vs powerball

Ive been looking into engl amps lately and i was just wondering how you would compare those two feature and soundwise. I;m the shreddy type so i good leads is a must. also compare the framus cobra please

Old 2007-09-15, 07:39
Soeru
Post-whore

I have not played the invader but I own the fireball which is very similar to the PB. It's an awesome amp, sounds massive for rhythm guitar and immensely deep for leads, the powerball should sound even bigger in this regard, plus it's 4 channels and comes with a noisegate now.

All I know about the invader is that it doesn't have as much gain as the PB. It's more along the lines of the blackmore and savage or so I've heard, it's not marketed as a "brutal" amp. But of course it does high gain, I believe kreator are using them now.

Under any circumstance, I think I'd go with the PB, because of it's pricetag(less than the invader), 4 channels and how much the FB kicks ass in every regard. I feel like the FB can do anything and it doesn't even have independent channel gains or EQ, so I can imagine the PB(that does have them on all 4) is super versatile.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2007-09-15 at 07:42.

Old 2007-09-15, 09:06
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru

All I know about the invader is that it doesn't have as much gain as the PB. It's more along the lines of the blackmore and savage or so I've heard.

Hello.

The Savage is nothing like the Blackmore!

I own a Savage 60&120. Have played a Blackmore for a year, they're totally different.

The Blackmore has a few versions (like the slowhand, etc) but in general they're a bit more rock-orientated.
The Savage is like a Powerball on steriods in some departments, it can take off where the Powerball leaves you when it comes to the leads. For heavy rhythm stuff I still prefer the Powerball though... However, the Savage can also go to the 'softer' side, it just has a far wider sound spectrum.

Don't get me wrong, I still play the Powerball a lot and it's a great amp but the Savage is far more versatile.

I've played the Invader 150 and it's a great amp, compared to the Powerball and Savage it's even more flexible and powerfull. But I still prefer my SE

It all depends on what sound you're looking for a what you're willing to spend.
If you're the shreddy type, I'de look into the Engl Savage and Engl Savage SE. Less of an investment then the Invader and it will do everything you're looking for, and then some.

Wouldn't recommend the Framus, I've played the Dragon and Cobra but they just didn't appeal to me. But coming from an Engl-nutcase, this is a very biased opinion.

Old 2007-09-15, 09:09
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I feel like the FB can do anything and it doesn't even have independent channel gains or EQ, so I can imagine the PB(that does have them on all 4) is super versatile.

The PB has only got two EQ's, so 2 channels still share one EQ, but usually you won't be using more then one clean and one distorted channel so it's no biggie.
It does have seperate volumes (not channel gain!) for all four channels though and a master A/B.

Old 2007-09-15, 10:12
Soeru
Post-whore

oh, I thought it had one of everything for each channel. So the Invader has more gain than the PB even? There were a few people over at the HC forum that were one of the first to buy it and said it didn't have as much gain as they thought it would, many of which owned a PB as well and thought it had more gain. Maybe there's a difference in gain between the EL34 and 6l6 versions?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2007-09-15 at 10:14.

Old 2007-09-15, 13:43
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

I own the Framus Cobra and it's amazing. But it's one of those amps were you really have to fittle with the settings to get an awsome sound. It can tottally go shred mode (James Murphy uses it on his solo project) but also is amazing at all out distorted metal. It's also not as saturated as ENGLs I find. It also is silent when you turn it on. There is hardly any hiss at all. It's also very warm sounding. The clean channel never breaks up and at loud volumes the amp never shrills to the point where it's uneasy on the ears. It's always tonefull. The amp really doesn't need a boost of any sort I just use a Pro Co Rat pedal to add more distortion to the signal (even tho the amp has gobbs of gain already haha)
It goes like this
Clean: Fender lush sound
Crunch: Darker version of the Marshall JCM 800
Lead: More of a liquidy smoother version of a Mesa Triple Rec

I've tried the Powerball and Savage and thought they were good but I found them a little to much high/mid range orriented (I know they are also pretty bassy but I just found it shrills far to much for my liking)

It's all personal preference really. Perhaps if you tell us what type of stuff you play we could give you a more direct answer

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-09-15, 17:22
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
It also is silent when you turn it on. There is hardly any hiss at all.

I found the my old Cobra to be hands down one of the noisiest amps I've ever owned.

Old 2007-09-15, 17:46
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
I found the my old Cobra to be hands down one of the noisiest amps I've ever owned.

Really? Weird man I get no noise at all.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-09-16, 19:48
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

well in in a metalcore band but i dont like metalcore that much so, for amp style im looking more for amps that do melo death type stuff. I tried the peavey 6505 and hated it. I couldnt get any good lead tone at all.
I like highs to be good on an amp when distorted id rather it crunchy than bassy (my solid state ibanes half stack sux up loud it sounds very basy and unclear.) I saw chris brodrick play invader and i liked the tone he was sredding with. But ive never yet heard the powerball.

Another question.
is ENGL pronouced ee- en- gee- ell?
or liek Engle?

Did SE stand for Savage? Def.

Old 2007-09-16, 21:14
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
well in in a metalcore band but i dont like metalcore that much so, for amp style im looking more for amps that do melo death type stuff. I tried the peavey 6505 and hated it. I couldnt get any good lead tone at all.
I like highs to be good on an amp when distorted id rather it crunchy than bassy (my solid state ibanes half stack sux up loud it sounds very basy and unclear.) I saw chris brodrick play invader and i liked the tone he was sredding with. But ive never yet heard the powerball.

I had a Powerball and it's hands down one of the most "brutal" heads I've owned. It can easily handle metalcore and death metal. It's just super tight and the gain(all usuable) goes to infinity. I had to put lower gain preamp tubes in it to tame it a little for my style. I still never took the gain past 5.

However, the lack of a less compressed high gain tone is what ended up being that amp's downfall for me. From what I hear the Invader is a less "brutal" geared amp, probably a lot more open sounding. Plus the 4 independant EQ's would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
Another question.
is ENGL pronouced ee- en- gee- ell?
or liek Engle?

Did SE stand for Savage? Def.

I pronounce it like ingle... Jingle without a J sound. I heard Derek at www.rocksolidamps.com pronouncing it like that. So I figured that's the way.

There is a Savage 60(60w), Savage 120(120w from two 6550 powertubes), and a Savage SE(120w from 4 EL34 powertubes). The 120 is the only one still being produced.

There is also the SE(Special Edition) head, not to be confused with the Savage SE. The SE is ENGL's flagship amp. It's the most expensive and has all the bells and whistles in the world.

Old 2007-09-16, 21:58
Soeru
Post-whore

I pronounce it like En-gul, Erik Rutan pronounces it like that too.

Old 2007-09-17, 01:52
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

would anyone compare the 6550 powertubes and the EL34 powertubes

and they both have different quantity of tubes is more tubes better?