MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-09-14, 05:36
Bigmanj1083
New Blood

Pickup Problem

Hey everyone.

First of all I tried using the search function to find my answer but I was unable to locate anything so forgive me if this has been posted before and answered.

My guitar is a Les Paul Standard and my pickups are stock in the neck and a Seymour Duncan in the bridge position.

My problem is is that my low E string is not making any sound when I have other notes resonating. Like, if I strum an open E chord and then do a couple chugs on the low E, palm muted or otherwise, it doesn't make any noise at all.

I just changed my strings, changed the action and cleaned my fretboard. My only idea is that I somehow got some liquid onto, or below my pickups when I was cleaning my fretboard and it shorted something. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, I have no clue what I did but it sucks.

Thanks for any help.

Old 2007-09-14, 08:12
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Sounds more like an amp problem to me. What kind of amp are you using?
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-09-15, 00:15
Bigmanj1083
New Blood

I'm using a Marshall practice amp by my computer to learn tabs and songs. However I tried it upstairs on my Fender Deville and I'm getting the same problem.

Old 2007-09-15, 04:45
the_bleeding
Post-whore

this is probably one of the strangest problems i've ever heard of. Its boggling my mind.

Getting a pickup wet wont short it out because the current in them is so damn low. If there IS fluid in the pickup, wait some time for it to evaporate heh.

Oh, and is this the first time you've noticed this? or has it been going on for a while.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-09-15, 05:17
Bigmanj1083
New Blood

This is the first time I've noticed it. It also seems to be affecting the D string as well, only slightly less so.

For the longest time I've been using 10 gauge strings, but this last time I put on Ernie Ball 11's because I was out of 10 gauge. I highly doubt that would be the problem but I'm just trying to think of things I did differently that might have caused this. I also raised the action a bit higher than it had been at. Could this be a result of the strings being to far away from the pickup? That's really all I can think of.

Old 2007-09-15, 06:18
the_bleeding
Post-whore

11's wont change it. Hell, 11's will just make it louder.

how far is the pickup from the strings? it shouldnt be more than a few milimetres, 4 or 5 at the most.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-09-19, 08:57
Bigmanj1083
New Blood

Well I lowered the action back to where it used to be, which is around 2-3 millimeters from the pickups. It's also been about 3 days since I changed the strings so if I had gotten any water around the pickup it would have dried out by now.

Unfortunately the problem is still there. It's really weird, along with the problem I described earlier, my guitar sounds really bassy (more than it should be), and I get unbelievable feedback from it. I think I'm just going to call my guitar tech and see what he has to say about it, this is really the weirdest thing I've ever encountered with my guitar.

Worst case scenario is I'll need new pickups right? I can't see how the problem could be more serious than that.

Old 2007-09-19, 20:45
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Sounds to me like it could be a wiring problem; I suggest checking the input jack as well, just to be sure. I've had connection problems like that, but never that serious...

Awesome.

Old 2007-09-19, 22:47
the_bleeding
Post-whore

get new pots. get the whole thing rewired.

Old 2007-09-20, 06:30
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
get new pots. get the whole thing rewired.

Yea thats what I would do, it sounds like some bizzare signal going to ground thing, I would just gut the whole mess and install new pots and a new jack.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut