MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-09-05, 03:54
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Kahler questions

Greets, I have a Kahler bridge on my carvin

and the part on the bridge were the string attaches on the high E is broken and i have to wrap the tring around the fine tuner shaft. This cuts out the the ring of the E string while preforming a a half band or higher on the 15-23 frets or so and this carvin is rather special to me so i want to fix it up. By fix it up i mean put a new bridge and fix the dead frets.

Is'nt there many kinds of kahler? i thought i needed a certain kind
heres a pic of the carvin.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/...jqx5kppmwj6.jpg

and
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/...dssbpopmox3.jpg

I'll try to get close up as soon as possible.

any info about this is apreciated. Are kahlers moderatley good for harmonic dives and pulling up? (basicly dime bag stuff)

Last edited by Arsis : 2007-09-05 at 03:59.

Old 2007-09-05, 11:51
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

I don't have much help, but wanted to say that it is a beautiful axe!!

Old 2007-09-05, 11:58
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

thanx

Old 2007-09-05, 20:10
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

kahlers are awesome for dives and pulling up man,
Kerry king uses one, and his squeals are outrageous.
I also use one on my hamer, i use the 2300, and it needed a bit of routing like all floating bridges. Just take it in and try to get the bridge fixed, not a new bridge, thats another 300$ that isn't worth spending.

I don't quite know the question, but, i'd personally take kahler bridge systems over floyd rose any day.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-09-05, 20:55
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

I do'nt think it would be fixed that easy. i had a guy fix teh dead frets but they came back damn it.

Old 2007-09-05, 23:00
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

a broken Carvin...never heard that often. But yeah fix that khaler, you wont regret it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-09-05, 23:35
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Nice fucking guitar! I'm diggin that!

Old 2007-09-06, 03:16
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Thanx, i've gotten so much love for that guitar on this site makes me feel good.
I actually got it for only 400 bucks at a pawn shop it was 700 then went down to 500 then they had 25% sale so it went to 400 but the pickups arent the best the rest is groovy.

my question about this thread is isnt there a bunch opf different kinds of kahlers? or will they all fit on my guitar? what kinds will?

Old 2007-09-11, 17:43
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
Thanx, i've gotten so much love for that guitar on this site makes me feel good.
I actually got it for only 400 bucks at a pawn shop it was 700 then went down to 500 then they had 25% sale so it went to 400 but the pickups arent the best the rest is groovy.

my question about this thread is isnt there a bunch opf different kinds of kahlers? or will they all fit on my guitar? what kinds will?

There are tons of Kahlers.

www.kahlerusa.com

The 2200 series is more for Les Paul style carved tops. The 2300 series for Flat Top guitars like strats. I'd recomend you get the 2315 bridge. It's probably the best one I tried and Slayer and Judas Priest use it.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-09-11, 19:40
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

PM soulinsane.

Looks like the roller is gone...you can just order parts for it now.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2007-09-11, 22:08
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Are you saying the string hook in the bridge is broke? They are an easy fix as long as you follow the instructions. The Kahler site has a ton of answers and Ebay has a ton of parts.

Nice guitar btw

Old 2007-09-15, 06:21
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

thnx soul. Will any flatmound kahler fit on it? and yes were the string hoks to the bridge is broken off i have to "tie" it to the fine tuner, it cuts out on som bends from it. the hook is actually takin all the way off. It was liek that when i bought it.

Old 2007-09-15, 19:23
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Most Kahler flat mount bridge parts are interchangeable and the string hooks are no different. The string hooks are all the same no matter the model and will be an easy replacement.

Old 2007-09-16, 19:34
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

thank you, but how would i put it on? The only thing i can come up with is glue wich i dont like.

Old 2007-09-16, 23:37
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

No glue, but you will have to do some disassembling to install a new string hook. It sounds harder than what it really is.

Remove the strings and kahler bridge from the guitar ( four wood screws ).

On the bottom of the bridge there will be three screws that remove the string block assembly. Remove those screws.

You will notice that the string block simple holds the string hooks between itself and the cam. Once the string block is removed the sting hooks can be removed or replaced very easy.

Replace the string hook and reattach the string block assembly to the cam. The screws should only be hand tight. Don't over torque or you will strip the screws.

Once reassembled. Reattach the bridge to the guitar and sting it up. The setup will not have changed

Old 2007-09-17, 01:40
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

I think i get what you are saying, thanks alot. Does kahlers website sell the hook? also do all flatmounds use generally the same tremolo arm.

Old 2007-09-17, 07:51
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
I think i get what you are saying, thanks alot. Does kahlers website sell the hook? also do all flatmounds use generally the same tremolo arm.

Like I said, it sounds more complicated than what it is, but the bridge will have to be removed from the guitar. String hooks are pretty easy to replace though. The Kaher site does sell string hooks for $9, but you could also get a parts Kahler on Ebay for cheap.

You bridge will work with any 23xx tremolo arm.

Old 2007-09-17, 23:59
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Just out of curiosity. When changing to a heavier spring set is it needed when you tune down. Like to C for example. Or since there is lack of tension on the strings do I not have to worry about changing springs. Cause I was speaking to a guitar tech today and I ask if I could tune my Hondo down to C standard and soon as he found out it had a Kahler he was like "Naw man. Well you could but it would take like a REALLY long time. I would have to take apart your whole bridge if you wanna tune that low" This got my worried

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-09-18, 11:18
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Thanx alot soulisane 1 more Q. Can you raise the action on a kahler? Becouse i have dead frets. Problably the truss rod tho.

I tune mine to Drop C no prob necer tried C standard though.

Old 2007-09-18, 21:35
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

There is a small hex bolt behind each roller saddle that adjust string height individually. String height might help but making sure your truss rod is within spec and having level frets also helps prevent dead frets. Best of luck to you. I enjoy helping others when I can. I've used Kahlers for like 15 years so I know my way around them and how to repair them.

Old 2007-09-18, 22:07
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
Just out of curiosity. When changing to a heavier spring set is it needed when you tune down. Like to C for example. Or since there is lack of tension on the strings do I not have to worry about changing springs. Cause I was speaking to a guitar tech today and I ask if I could tune my Hondo down to C standard and soon as he found out it had a Kahler he was like "Naw man. Well you could but it would take like a REALLY long time. I would have to take apart your whole bridge if you wanna tune that low" This got my worried

Sounds like your guitar guitar tech is a lazy bastard. Anyone who has more than 45 minutes worth of experience with a floating tremolo can do that no problem.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-09-19, 00:48
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Sounds like your guitar guitar tech is a lazy bastard. Anyone who has more than 45 minutes worth of experience with a floating tremolo can do that no problem.

Ditto

Old 2007-09-19, 00:50
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

wow those are small. Thanx alot i apreciate it!

Old 2008-11-30, 23:12
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Kahler now have 7 and 8 string trems Not sure if anyone else posted this news before but I thought you all needed to know. There are also adapter plates to retro fit guitars that are Floyd routed with a Kahler now.

Old 2009-01-27, 23:49
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Kahler now have 7 and 8 string trems Not sure if anyone else posted this news before but I thought you all needed to know. There are also adapter plates to retro fit guitars that are Floyd routed with a Kahler now.

The 7 string thing is indeed cool. The adapter plate things sound really fucking awesome.

Old 2009-01-29, 07:14
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I'm looking forward to converting an HR Giger Ibanez and at least one 7 string. I'm really thinking about converting my Goth Explorer as well. I like its TOM bridge but damn I love Kahler way more.