MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-09-04, 22:48
Soeru
Post-whore

Excercises for improved finger independence?

Can anyone point me to some decent exercises that will help me gain a bit more fluency when doing certain bizarre/unconventional finger positionings? Something that isn't hard to learn at first preferably, just something relatively simple(but challenging) that gets tougher to suppress mistakes as you speed up. Mind you I'm not looking for stretching exercises like those in Petrucci's rock discipline dvd, I do those regularly I just want my fingers to have a lot more liberty and just be able to do stuff independently rather than get stuck when playing stuff outside of all the usual chord shapes and scale shapes(i have no problem with positioning with all the scales I know well).

I've just been learning some spawn of possession recently and I realized how badly coordinated some of my fingers are. For example doing a hammer on and pull off with the 2nd and 3rd fingers feels pretty awkward, because I feel like I lose total strength with my 3rd(ring finger) when I go try and fret a string. And I can only do it very slowly. Doing that also throws me off too if I need to shift my hand elsewhere on the fretboard cause I feel the habit of using my index finger for everything, even though it might not be necessary in a certain part.

It's just probably something that will come with time as I'm learning stuff now that's very different from what I used to play, but I just kinda want to speed up the learning process with some exercises instead of tackling songs I can't pick up on the first few tries.

Any suggestions?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-04, 23:24
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Can anyone point me to some decent exercises that will help me gain a bit more fluency when doing certain bizarre/unconventional finger positionings?

Two in the pink in one in the stink, ever heard of that one?

Old 2007-09-05, 00:55
Soeru
Post-whore

Hahaha yeah.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-09, 22:07
grav1tas
New Blood

Steve Vai's 10-hour guitar workout has a ton of great exercises for this type of thing. It reprinted in the latest issue of Guitar World, you should go check it out...

Old 2007-09-09, 22:20
Soeru
Post-whore

Hmm I can't really find many foreign magazines over here, do you know if he's discussed the same kind of thing in one of his videos maybe?

Old 2007-09-10, 10:04
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Haha, I wish Vai had some instructional vids.
This is actually a subject that I'm obsessed about - finger independence (usually involving cross picking).

Here's a link to a tabbed out version of Vai's 10 Hour Workout.

However the only practice routine I do for this goes as following:

1. Assign all four of your fingers a specific fret each in any pattern. It helps if you imitate this pattern off a riff/lick or whatever you can't nail down.

2. Start slow and comfortable like any exercise, and with a metronome assign each click to be one note. Go through each of the following patterns 8 times each, moving on to the next one as you finish the last.

1. 1-2-3-4
2. 1-2-4-3
3. 1-3-2-4
4. 1-3-4-2
5. 1-4-3-2
6. 1-4-2-3

7. 2-1-3-4
8. 2-4-3-1
9. 2-3-1-4
10. 2-3-4-1
11. 2-1-4-3
12. 2-4-1-3

13. 3-1-2-4
14. 3-1-4-2
15. 3-2-1-4
16. 3-2-4-1
17. 3-4-1-2
18. 3-4-2-1

19. 4-1-2-3
20. 4-1-3-2
21. 4-2-1-3
22. 4-2-3-1
23. 4-3-1-2
24. 4-3-2-1

For added challenge you could practice the whole thing with all down picks, then all up picks, then alternate picking starting down, then alternate starting up.

Remember if any finger not being played moves in sympathetic tension on any movement it must be practiced slower until that finger totally becomes independant... tiny mistakes at 120 BPM become train-wrecks at 230 BPM.

Old 2007-09-10, 18:26
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

A pretty nice exercise I found in Guthrie Govan's book Creative Guitar 1:

You start out with the F#maj7 chord to the left and all the numbers in the tab represent a finger, 1 is index, 2 is middle, 3 is ring and 4 is teh pinky (pretty obvious).

|-1---2---2---2---3---3---3---4---4---4---1---1----|
|-2---1---3---3---2---4---4---3---1---1---4---2---0|
|-3---3---1---4---4---2---1---1---3---2---2---4----|
|-4---4---4---1---1---1---2---2---2---3---3---3----|
|---------------------------------------------------0|
|----------------------------------------------------|

Only the fingers that change strings can leave the fretboard, the others have to stay put.

Just play every step like a chord or an arpeggio at whatever speed you find yourself most comfortable to begin with.
You can permutate this exercise as much as you want, include string-skipping or bigger stretches etc.

Old 2007-09-10, 18:54
Unanything
Post-whore

These are good! I am gonna start using these regularly. Steve Vai posted some in a magazine once, but they were boring and linear and won't actually do much or you.

I find it amazing when you see a virtuoso throw his pinky upto 12 when the index is on 6, rather than reach with it.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-09-11, 22:21
Undying_Hatred
Post-whore

1234, 1234, 1234, 1234, 1234, 1234
4321, 4321, 4321, 4321, 4321, 4321
1234, 4321, 1234, 4321, 1234, 4321

Any combination, this will help with your alt picking and sweeping skills later down the road. I personally use this combo to improve my dexterity and speed. Modify as needed

Old 2007-09-12, 03:37
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

you could try learning some defeated sanity...

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2007-09-12, 08:56
Soeru
Post-whore

Yeah I was considering that.

Thanks guys I'm giving these a whirl now.

Old 2007-09-14, 00:10
JacksonRX10D
New Blood

------------
------------
--------------
-------------
--------4-------
1-2TR3------------------

Hold fingers 1 & 2 & 4 down and do trill between 2 and 3 by holding the other fingers fretted it so it isolates the muscles u are developing and creates finger interdependence. U can adapt the exercise to different areas on the neck and trill between different fingers just remember that all fretting hand fingers must fretting some note. to isolate the muscles u are working on