MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-09-04, 19:06
guitarplayer1
New Blood

Head into Combo Amp?

I just bought a Crate Blue Voodoo 120W Head and I am still looking for a cabinet, but I was wondering if in the meantime, I can plug it into my old Crate 2x12 Combo Amp which has a "Ext. Speaker" jack for it. Can I just use that amp as a cab?

Thanks.

Old 2007-09-04, 20:00
deathmedic
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayer1
I just bought a Crate Blue Voodoo 120W Head and I am still looking for a cabinet, but I was wondering if in the meantime, I can plug it into my old Crate 2x12 Combo Amp which has a "Ext. Speaker" jack for it. Can I just use that amp as a cab?

Thanks.

the ext. speaker jack means that you can plug a cab into your combo.. not use the comb as a cab..

you might damage your ears and the combo plugging the head into the combo

Old 2007-09-04, 22:23
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

No you can't.

Old 2007-09-05, 01:02
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

actually you probably can. there should be something connecting the speakers to the combo's head (preamp basically). Take the back off if you can't find one. Do not put it in ext. speakers. Take a picture of the back, i could probably help you out some more. I did basically the same thing with my mesa and marshall mg200, didn't sound amazing, but thats cause of the celestion 75s, not the setup itself.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-09-05, 08:50
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

You'd have to disconnect the speakers from the combo and make a cable with a 1/4" jack on one end(to plug into your head) and the other end connected directly to the speakers.

So I mean, it IS possible... You just have to put some time and effort into making it work. There's not a speaker input on the back of your combo intended for what you want to do.

Old 2007-09-05, 20:03
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Well it all depends on the amp man, is what i'm sayin. My marshall doesnt take time and effort, it has exactly the right connection. Thats why i asked for a picture of the back. But, if its that old of a crate combo, yeah it will take a lot of time and effort.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-09-05, 22:46
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
Well it all depends on the amp man, is what i'm sayin. My marshall doesnt take time and effort, it has exactly the right connection. Thats why i asked for a picture of the back. But, if its that old of a crate combo, yeah it will take a lot of time and effort.

Some tube combo amps use a 1/4" plug to connect the speakers to the head part of the combo. Typically this is so that you can either unplug the combo speakers and run an extention cab, or run different ohms from different jacks(i.e. some heads have dedicated 4 ohm, 8 ohm, and 16 ohm jacks).

Off the top of my head I can't think of any s.s. combos that using the same connection. None the less a single s.s.(I'm assuming his is) Crate combo.