MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-09-03, 04:26
satan's shedder
Metalhead

amp help

Ok I looked through the threads and could not find what I was wanting to know so please help and be a bunch of dick heads like seen happen to others try to ask for help. Ok so I am looking for a good combo amp any where from 30 to 100 watts but I want something that that has a good sounding and heavy distortion and maybe some effects but that not that big of a deal because I dont really use them. I dont really the line 6 amps., I was looking at the new vox advt-xl or what ever because there suppose to be made for metal and they have a tube preamp I think. so can you guys tell me what are some food amps I play pretty much only death metal with a little trash mainly in the style of psycrotic, behemoth,cc,sop,decapitated. I want to avoid effects pedals and processers as much as possible. thanx

Old 2007-09-03, 09:03
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Ok man, well I have heard good things about those new Vox metal modellers, so definitely go and try one out if possible. You don't say what your budget is but other good combos are anything by Tech21 and maybe also look out for series 1 Marshall Valvestate combos on ebay, (designation 8xxx). I'll try and have a think about some others for you.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-09-03, 17:02
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

If you're willing to go tube there is always the Peavey 6505 & XXX combos, mesa rect-o-verb / trem-o-verb combos, or the Mesa Mark IV combo.

Now, generally, for metal with tight and huge bass response, a combo won't do too good. A head and a closed back or ported cab is where it's at. I predict you won't be satisfied until you've moved away from combos.

Oh and BTW the vox modellers are great.

Old 2007-09-03, 19:41
satan's shedder
Metalhead

What do the voxs sound little and I am looking just for something that is really good sounding but is portable at the same because I already have a half stack I know what you mean. oh and there isnt a budget but really I dont want to go higher than say 500

Old 2007-09-04, 15:12
the_bleeding
Post-whore

see, the 6505 combo is perfect for you, but apparently it weighs almost 80 pounds? combos are not very portable. when compared to stacks. stacks are big yes, but the parts are a reasonable weight, and they arent awkward to carry... yeahh...
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-09-04, 23:43
satan's shedder
Metalhead

how does the vox sound... anyone

Old 2007-09-06, 02:14
satan's shedder
Metalhead

are the ibanez tone blasters any good?

Old 2007-09-07, 04:43
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's shedder
are the ibanez tone blasters any good?

I doubt it.

How about a POD and a pair of good headphones?

Or the vox.

Old 2007-09-07, 05:26
satan's shedder
Metalhead

are the POD's really good I played with one a little at GC but didnt like sounds to much mybe I just didnt fool around with the settings enough.

Old 2007-09-08, 00:19
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

the pods and the boss gt's both have a learning curve to them so to speak. Technically speaking, they could match any tone (at least with the gt's), just you do need enough tweeking and patches.
Headphones i probably wouldn't get, hooking it up to some sort of empty amp, or some sort of monitor (i'm not certain how they set up, but some sort of power amp and preamp rig could be sick, depending on how you set it up, and they are reasonably light, just expensive)
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-09-08, 10:40
Soeru
Post-whore

Forget the pocket pods or the Pod 2.0's(same amp models, mini one has less, different size and price tag). They just sound mediocre.

The XT is the only one really worth investing in, though I still think 300$ is really a bit too high just as a scratch recording/practice tool that isn't really going to sound amazing into an amp in a band situation, less you're sending a feed directly to a PA. I'd suggest picking one up used if you really want one. And if you really want to get decent recorded sounds out of it you really need to use a decent soundcard on your PC, preferably external as they generally come with recording software like cubase LE and 1/4" ins.

But you want an amp right? In his case maybe I'd suggest the Ibanez TBX-30R or the 60. They're not serious gigging amps but I am pretty impressed with the sounds I've heard from them. For 150$ for the 30W model you can't really go wrong, it has tons of gain and a 3-band EQ, mp3/CD player In, resonance boost(the "X" slider), and a parametric EQ function.

I haven't played them but they seem to sound way better than the Roland Cubes and Line 6 spiders I have tried.

But you really have to determine whether you're going to play your amp loud with other people or are just planning to practice at home with headphones. If you don't plan to leave the house with your amp I'd suggest the podxt.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-10, 02:14
satan's shedder
Metalhead

so soeru if you were to buy a combo amp to play in your room and maybe record a few tracks to post online or what not would you go for the Ibanez tone blaster extreme. I ask you be cause you definetly know your shit so I can trust your answer and does it have enough distortion for death metal

Old 2007-09-11, 18:52
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

If you have some kind of amplifier and speakers at home i would still go with a pod. Pods are good for recording direct too.

Oh and no matter what Soeru says, although he's a knowledable fellow and def. has a good ear for tone, chances are that what's enough gain for him isn't enough gain for you, and what he considers good tone isn't a good tone for you know what I'm saying? If you've tried the amp and you like it then go for it. If you have not tried it then try it before you buy. There's nothing more disappointing than buying a product online and then the product is a piece of crap when you get it in the mail

Anyway this thread should end with "Go to your music store and try out different amps in your price range, then pick the one you like".

Old 2007-09-11, 21:36
Soeru
Post-whore

Yeah exactly, it's all up to your ears man. Btw I replied to your pm.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-11, 21:46
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

If you have no money for a decent amp, get a used pod to emulate decent amps.

If you want a good combo and have enough money to spend, there's loads of really good tube combo's around. Like the Engl Sovereign, Brunetti Maranello and VHT Pitbull combo..

For 500 I'de rather look for a good used tube combo then investing 300 bucks on a pod. Your own taste matters.
I'm more of a no-nonsense guy so I gig with a guitar, tube top, 4x12's and that's it.