MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-08-15, 22:38
riversofgore
New Blood

What equipment to buy??

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your input...

I play guitar for a metal band called Out of Hatred. Recently, my effects pedal took a dump.

I'm looking to replace it with something new. I know there are TONS of processors and pedals out there, but I'd like to know what everyone recommends. The problem with a lot of the processors is that they just don't perform well on stage.

I play on BC Rich guitars, through a Randall RP2/200 power amp and an Alesis Compressor/Gate, all through 2 Crate 4x12s.

I'm looking for either a multi effects processor, or 1 or 2 really good distortion pedals.

Help!!!

If you want to hear the style of music I play, check out a few songs at www.myspace.com/outofhatred

Thanks alot everyone!!!

Last edited by riversofgore : 2007-08-15 at 22:39. Reason: oops

Old 2007-08-16, 07:51
Soeru
Post-whore

Better than a distortion or multiFX pedal, I would suggest a real guitar preamp, which is really what your setup(poweramp+ cab) is meant to be used for. A decent preamp will sound worlds better than any multiFX or distortion pedal you can afford, if not all.

What kind of money do you have to spend and are you willing to buy used? If you're looking for a pedal/multifx I'm assuming you don't care if it's tube or solid state, so I'll suggest a few:

Rocktron Pro GAP - old solid state, tight and brutal, can only be had 2nd hand. 100-200$. Not top of the line but probably sounds better than whatever pedal you were using before.

Sansamp PSA-1 - super versatile and pretty brutal solid state preamp, completely midi compatible, tons of presets, pristine sound. - about 500-600$ new, 400$ or less used.

Engl E530 - tube preamp, sounds very good and tight, though not as brutal as the other Engl preamps(that cost over twice as much, so I guess it's good bang for buck). 500$ new.

Other ideas: Rocktron Piranha (rather complicated though) or a *modified* ADA MP-1 preamp, which can only be had 2nd hand or through this website:

http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/mp1%203tm%20ultra.htm

That's the 3-tube mod which sounds really massive, but costs about the same as an Engl E530 in Europe, which is a lot more in American $. If you live in the US I'd suggest waiting out on ebay to find a used 3TM or 6.66 modded ADA mp-1 if you really want one.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-08-16, 11:58
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

I have a Boss GT-6, and that has never failed me (in 5 or so years). And there is so much you can do with it. So I guess I would suggest a GT-8 or used GT-6. Last I knew, the GT-8 goes for about $450.00 (USD).

Old 2007-08-16, 16:42
the_bleeding
Post-whore

+1 on the rocktron piranha. Its a sex machine.

Or you could go with a POD...
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-08-16, 18:29
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

+1 on the POD
Nearly unlimited amount of tone you could get from that on your setup.
plus there is that mesa/boogie studio preamp, or Formula preamp, either could go for about 500 used
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-08-16, 20:33
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Yes, try the PODXT. A myriad of options and versatility with it.

Old 2007-08-18, 01:51
riversofgore
New Blood

thanks to all!!! I'm really not good with set ups, i just kinda plug in and play. I was never too sure what a preamp was before, always seemed complicated, but the ones you all recommend are exactly what i needed!! Thanks again!

Old 2007-08-21, 13:14
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

+1 for the gt-8, the sound is very very professional for the price!

for xsure a pre amp is good, but it's expensive...it's always depends of your budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-09-17, 15:57
nydeath
New Blood

so many options...

the sansamp psa1 is a sick pre if you're into the whole rack thing.

digitech's 2120 (?) rack preamp is very good as well. jack owens used one for years. the rp6,7,12 have the same preamps in them and can get some good tones as well for less cash.

in a straight up pedal the zoom driver can't be beat.

you could also get any run of the mill high gain pedal (bos hm2, dod whatever) and combine it with a parametric eq.

i would personally look for an amp like a crate gx130, ampeg vh/ss 140/150, marshall 8100 with a nice eq and maybe a sonic max on a budget.

Old 2007-10-11, 07:20
wsosfr
New Blood

+1 for the GT if you're looking for advanced features
+1 for the POD if you're looking for tighter sounds

Checkout Guitar Effects. This website contains loads of sound samples of guitar effects to help you understand the differences between sounds and help you choose a unit.