MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-08-13, 22:13
the_bleeding
Post-whore

tube review

Tube review thread! review your damn tubes! (makes life easier for n00bs)

ANYWAYS, yeah i finally did it, Valtiel can rest easy now.
Went down to the tube store, which is a little office space full of cubicles and the walls are lined with cardboard boxes everywhere, and bought my shit.

now i have 1 Jan phillips 5751 in my clean channel, a Chinese 12ax7 and a JJecc83-s in my crunch channel, and my lead channel goes 1 jj, 1 china, 2 more jj's (the second one being shared with the crunch channel.

the 5751 is SEX. Its quiet so i have to turn the volume up, but its so warm and is nice and chimey on the high strings. It running dry sounds like the old tube with my bright switch on, its great.

the crunch channel... what can i say, its damn clear and tight, but not enough gain for me without a boost (got my maxon od808 for that) I might put a JJ in the first position to try it.

lead channel... i find the jj's are a little bit spongy and lack something that i cant place. It sounds like i have to pop my ears. Any body else experience this? I felt like something is going on with the mids, but when i turn them up or down, the sound im looking for is still missing. It seems like it might be EQ in the lewp tiems.

Overall review, my amp is still a bit spongey on its own, but its far louder (minus clean channel), clearer, more grit, and no more microphonics or noise. I've also noticed more USEABLE gain in the lead channel, and more gain in the crunch channel. Its not a fuzzed out monster anymore.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-08-13, 22:19
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

What amp and guitar/pickups are you using?

I can review about 5 different pre-amp tubes and 4 different powertubes but that wouldn't help anyone if they didn't know what kind of gear I was using.

If you want screamy and friggin' extreme, get a sovtek ax7lps for that lead channel

Old 2007-08-13, 23:26
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
What amp and guitar/pickups are you using?

I can review about 5 different pre-amp tubes and 4 different powertubes but that wouldn't help anyone if they didn't know what kind of gear I was using.

If you want screamy and friggin' extreme, get a sovtek ax7lps for that lead channel

i have a sovtek-lps in the phase inverter, i might switch it out with the first JJ in the lead channel for some phun.

gear:
Eastwood ultra gp (alnico super II pickups)
Maxon OD 808
Planet waves 20' cable
Marshall 6100lm 30th anniversary head (4x sovtek 5881's)
marshall 1960A cab (g12t-75's)
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-08-14, 19:02
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

JJ's will be a bit dark in the mids, I would try swapping that for the Sovtek LPS. JJ's are kind of like V30's, I think they sound best mixied with something else. If "Alnico Super II" means that those are Alnico II magnets in those pickups, those will be much softer and smoother, good for a neck pickup but you really want an Alnico V for a good heavy bridge pickup.

Plus I think that an all 75 cabinet will be missing A LOT of mids, I would try swapping around those tubes and adding a pair of V30's with those 75's.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut