MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-08-02, 23:22
ash2490
New Blood

Smile Spit-Gurgling

I can do a range of growls, but now I'm trying to learn how to get that wet, Dallas Toler-Wade type gurgle.

Everybody always says to trap the spit on the back of your tongue and gargle it somehow.

It sounded simple enough, but I've been experimenting for couple of months now and I just can't get any kind of a gurgle.

Does anybody have the specific technique for using the spit to get the sewer gurgle?

I'd sure appreciate some advice!

Old 2007-08-03, 10:16
Unanything
Post-whore

A big part of his vocals is in the mouth-shaping. Check out Execration Text, Sarcophagus and Sacrifice Unto Sebek's videos.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-08-03, 13:19
Inimical
New Blood

Hey! A quick reply to your question about the gurgle...
It's true that it's all about the mouth shaping; it's probably easier to explain by taking it step by step.

1. push your head back, so that your throat kindda "closes", start with saying "aaaaaaahhhh" with a your normal speaking voice, and you will see that is makes a kind of resonance effect. Not much, but it means the world when u start growling.

2. Make your tongue as wide and "fat" as possible, and then place at the top of your mouth.

3. Allways use the middle section of your stomache to push out air, never use your throat.

By using these 3 steps, u should be able to make that gurgling growl.
Just take your time to get familiar with the technique, eventually u will get it.

Try and check out my band; perhaps it will give u a better insight in what I'm talking about: www.skinnedbeyondrecognition.com

Old 2007-08-04, 02:28
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inimical
Hey! A quick reply to your question about the gurgle...
It's true that it's all about the mouth shaping; it's probably easier to explain by taking it step by step.

1. push your head back, so that your throat kindda "closes", start with saying "aaaaaaahhhh" with a your normal speaking voice, and you will see that is makes a kind of resonance effect. Not much, but it means the world when u start growling.

2. Make your tongue as wide and "fat" as possible, and then place at the top of your mouth.

3. Allways use the middle section of your stomache to push out air, never use your throat.

By using these 3 steps, u should be able to make that gurgling growl.
Just take your time to get familiar with the technique, eventually u will get it.

Try and check out my band; perhaps it will give u a better insight in what I'm talking about: www.skinnedbeyondrecognition.com

Yeah, that looks workable. Try this. Mr. Toler-Wade looks like he maintains a strict neck position. Although I don't know is this is to reach the mic' or what. I don't it needs to be that strict. Unless, I suppose, you are Fredrik Schalin.

Quote:
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-08-04, 23:49
ash2490
New Blood

So, I don't really need to be trying to gargle spit then?

I've been practicing keeping my head back, my tongue wide and at the top of my mouth, and I checked out some videos of people who get that type of sound.

But to be honest, the mouth and tongue thing gives me sort of a hard-to-describe, "pinched off", muffled type of sound, but it really doesn't give me much of a wet sound. (Don't get me wrong, doing it this way gives me a better sound then I was getting before, it's just not exactly the sound I was shooting for.)

I don't know. I'm definitely going to keep practicing, and I'll report back if I get any kind of change.

Old 2007-08-05, 07:17
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

Last edited by crustcorestenchhead9 : 2007-08-05 at 20:46.

Old 2007-08-05, 07:22
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

i think its funny that you guys are trying to explain how to gurgle spit when dallas doesnt do that. he uses an open throat inhale and karl does the growls. and nobody can tell me i am wrong because a week ago today I was at ozzfest in denver and while i was getting my new ithyphalic cd signed dallas commeted on my carcass shirt and then i said "thanks but i was wondering do you guys use an inhale on the vocals?" and he replyed "I do an inhale and karl does the growls"

sorry if i being defensive about this but im sick of people telling me certain bands do not use inhales when I know they do.

Old 2007-08-05, 09:57
Requiem
Post-whore

Old 2007-08-05, 20:45
ash2490
New Blood

I'm not sure about the whole Dallas inhale vs. exhale thing, but while we're on the topic: are inhales really as dangerous for the voice as some people say?

Old 2007-08-05, 20:51
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2490
I'm not sure about the whole Dallas inhale vs. exhale thing, but while we're on the topic: are inhales really as dangerous for the voice as some people say?

theres no inhale vs exhale thing goin on. dallas uses an inhale period. and so is the guy in that video that is exacly how to do it. if you dont beleive me that its an inhale in the video and is an exhaled growl try to explaine how the guy has a lung compasity of a frikin whale. when you exhale a growl your pushing your air out with way more foce that you would hold a note in just singing so your growl wont last as long as a normal singing note. but an inhale you dont acctually inhale air into your lungs,(i dont know where it goes )but you just have to hold your breath with an inhale while doing it. so you will have a longer lasting not/sounds with an inhale because you can hold you breath way longer than you can prolong pushing air out of your lung at almost full force.

but no, inhales are very safe for you compared to DM growls and BM screams. even those arent nesasarily bad for you, theres just a bunch of bitches complaining how it hurts and then they assume its so bad for you. but inhales are safe as long as you dont inhale with all your force, iv inhaled pretty hard before and it hurts! your chest and your throat for a few days, dont do that and its cool.

Last edited by crustcorestenchhead9 : 2007-08-05 at 21:00.

Old 2007-08-05, 21:05
ash2490
New Blood

No, I knew that the guy in the video was doing inhales, but the Dallas thing surprised me.

Obviously, anyone can hear that Dallas' growls are unique compared to, say, George Fisher or Jon Vesano. But for some reason, I never even considered that he might be using the humble inhaled vocal, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense.

It's also good to hear that the inhales aren't as dangerous as some people would have us believe, too.

Last edited by ash2490 : 2007-08-05 at 23:19.

Old 2007-08-07, 03:22
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

the reason why it sounds muffled when you use the tongue is because you're not pushing hard enough to get around the tongue, i've found the best gurgle/guttural comes from using the tongue, however you have to push out, and move the tongue to let weaker sylables through.

honestly, I want to know how to do the sick burp/gurgle guttural that Phil from Whitechapel does in a few songs.
the vocallist from A Different Breed Of Killer seems to do it too in thier song Axedentist.

Old 2007-08-09, 18:12
Unanything
Post-whore

I do find how Dallas inhales surprising. It doesn't seem right. And it doesn't sound like it.

And he does transform it into a shout or a scream swometimes, which sound fiarly human/outward. I dunno... I have trouble believing that. If you are saying everyone does inhales... Well...

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Unanything : 2007-08-09 at 18:27.

Old 2007-08-11, 12:07
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustcorestenchhead9
i think its funny that you guys are trying to explain how to gurgle spit when dallas doesnt do that. he uses an open throat inhale and karl does the growls. and nobody can tell me i am wrong because a week ago today I was at ozzfest in denver and while i was getting my new ithyphalic cd signed dallas commeted on my carcass shirt and then i said "thanks but i was wondering do you guys use an inhale on the vocals?" and he replyed "I do an inhale and karl does the growls"

sorry if i being defensive about this but im sick of people telling me certain bands do not use inhales when I know they do.

Holy fùck are you annoying.

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2007-08-13, 22:00
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz
Holy fùck are you annoying.

yeah? alright dude....

Old 2007-08-14, 15:48
DBSE
New Blood

Well the dudes got a point. You are obnoxious!

Old 2007-08-15, 19:15
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSE
Well the dudes got a point. You are obnoxious!

and?... at least im contributing. im giving people tips and telling wat there doing wrong. all you have to say is that im obnoxious...

Old 2007-08-15, 22:00
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustcorestenchhead9
im telling wat there doing wrong

This seems to be all you do. And create fantastic stories about wholesome singers doing inhales...

Anyway, discussing the nature of and technique behind Mr. Toler-Wade's vocals is not helping the fellow who started this thread. Back to topic.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2007-08-16, 01:45
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

i'm not gunna lie, that is all he does.

"nuh uh it's inhales! IT'S INHALES! OMG INHALES"