MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-07-27, 02:23
JacksonRX10D
New Blood

Marshall 1960A

I am going to buy a new 4x12 cab soon. The Marshall 1960A is one of the cabs I was looking into. What are your thoughts on this cab and the styles it would excel in and also what styles would it not be well suited for?

Old 2007-07-27, 02:32
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Good cab. I'd say overall balanced out on all frequencies. Not too heavy either.

Old 2007-07-27, 14:04
Soeru
Post-whore

One of the most commonly used 4x12's for all kinds of music. Priced right, workmanship is ok, sound is great. It does have accentuated bass and treble, which is a good or bad thing depending on your tastes, or whether you like to crank your mids up very high or not.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-07-27, 14:39
JacksonRX10D
New Blood

I'm going to try bringing my amp to GC and see if they will let me bring it in and plug into the 1960. See how it sounds with my setup. Any other cab suggestions in this price range. Already looked into avatar I think their cabs are just a little to small to deliver the sound I'm looking for.

Old 2007-07-27, 14:41
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRX10D
I'm going to try bringing my amp to GC and see if they will let me bring it in and plug into the 1960. See how it sounds with my setup. Any other cab suggestions in this price range. Already looked into avatar I think their cabs are just a little to small to deliver the sound I'm looking for.

GC will let you do that.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2007-07-27, 14:44
JacksonRX10D
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
GC will let you do that.

Good to know. thanks

Old 2007-07-28, 12:11
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
One of the most commonly used 4x12's for all kinds of music. Priced right, workmanship is ok, sound is great. It does have accentuated bass and treble, which is a good or bad thing depending on your tastes, or whether you like to crank your mids up very high or not.

I take it you haven't seen the insides of a recently built Marshall cab?
Anyway the most important thing is that it's fully sealed and i guess it is, so it'll sound good anyway.

Oh and BTW 1960's have gone out of production i think , they're going over to even cheaper stuff now, check out the marshall website :/ They're not mentioned over there anymore.

And the 1960BV/1960AV is probably a better choice, less fizzy and more mids (Vintage 30 speakers).

Old 2007-07-28, 14:16
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Workmanship on the old ones was great, I've been throwing mine in and out of vans for about five years now. It has heavy battlescars but it still sounds like it did when I got it. (used)

Pretty much 'the standard' in cabinets if you ask me. Maybe not the best sounding but the best bang for buck.

Old 2007-07-28, 15:45
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopop

Oh and BTW 1960's have gone out of production i think , they're going over to even cheaper stuff now, check out the marshall website :/ They're not mentioned over there anymore.

the website is full of crap, their product catalogue still has all of the 1960's cabs in them (A/B; AV/BV; AC/BC; TV).

anyways, this cab is good for anything that doesnt need a load of mids. I WOULD open it up and trade out 2 speakers for some v30's, but i dont want to void my 5 year warranty .

did i mention that marshall products have a 5 year warranty? cant really beat that.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Last edited by the_bleeding : 2007-07-28 at 15:52.

Old 2007-07-29, 18:22
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
I take it you haven't seen the insides of a recently built Marshall cab?

Hence why I said "ok". It's not going to stop bullets from high powered rifles, but it's going to do a good job. The worst part they have is the back panel, allegedly very thin which doesn't help the bass department at all. A lot of ppl at the HC forums suggest adding a stronger thicker back panel, as it's way more cost efficient than swapping in new speakers and gives a dramatic change in bass and mid response. So find yourself a woodshop.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-07-29, 23:14
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding

did i mention that marshall products have a 5 year warranty? cant really beat that.

Mine has been in use for over 20 years. So 5 years isn't that much if you ask me. And the warranty is pretty limited.

If you buy an instrument or an amp and it's good shit, it should definetly last longer then 5 years.

Old 2007-07-29, 23:50
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Hence why I said "ok". It's not going to stop bullets from high powered rifles, but it's going to do a good job. The worst part they have is the back panel, allegedly very thin which doesn't help the bass department at all. A lot of ppl at the HC forums suggest adding a stronger thicker back panel, as it's way more cost efficient than swapping in new speakers and gives a dramatic change in bass and mid response. So find yourself a woodshop.

You could just brace it with a couple of 1"x3"'s Very cheap stuff to do.

All i was saying is that the post 2000 1960's don't hold their own against the competition..

Surprisingly, the ModeFour cabs are really good though i hear.. but they built these in mind of people wanting huge bass response so it figures.

Old 2007-07-29, 23:55
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

The 1960's are like an industry standard. Sometimes I wish I still had one when I look at how much my VHT Fatbottom has suffered from touring. The VHT is much better built(bigger better casters, metal handles, better wiring, ect...) and it sounds better... But I wish I had a good old 1960 to tour with and beat on instead of letting my VHT take the beating it has. My other guitarist has a Jcm 900 era 1960a and it's a workhorse.

5 years is nothing for a cab... It's a wood box with speakers, a few wires, an input jack or two, and maybe a small(cheap and easy to replace) pcb.

Old 2007-07-30, 00:31
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
The 1960's are like an industry standard. Sometimes I wish I still had one when I look at how much my VHT Fatbottom has suffered from touring. The VHT is much better built(bigger better casters, metal handles, better wiring, ect...) and it sounds better... But I wish I had a good old 1960 to tour with and beat on instead of letting my VHT take the beating it has. My other guitarist has a Jcm 900 era 1960a and it's a workhorse.

5 years is nothing for a cab... It's a wood box with speakers, a few wires, an input jack or two, and maybe a small(cheap and easy to replace) pcb.

Indeed.. keep the VHT for studio stuff, beat the 1960 up for the road.

Old 2007-07-30, 02:17
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Indeed.. keep the VHT for studio stuff, beat the 1960 up for the road.

Too late now.

Old 2007-07-30, 18:18
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

I own a 1960 lead, and i still wonder if that isn't the problem with my tone. At high volumes it seems to sustain fairly well, low volumes it does as good as any other cab would do with a tube amp at low volumes...nevertheless, i own a mesa/boogie 3 channel rectifier, and I've heard it through the mesa cabs, and they seem to sound significantly better...but i couldn't fork out the bucks for those cabs...
Should i just get a thicker piece of wood for the back panel, or slap in the v30s (or hellatone 60s)...or both.
and on that note, anyone use hellatone 60s? avatar sells them, the explination sounds good on the site

EDIT: And what about Celestion G12k-100 speakers? heard they were really bass responsive.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Last edited by Mortal_Lament : 2007-07-30 at 18:36.

Old 2007-07-31, 03:18
JacksonRX10D
New Blood

Mortal_Lament brings up the point I am concerned about with the 1960 the speakers. Besides metal I also play a fair share of classic rock Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Sabbath,(while maybe Sabbath is metal but not same style as say Death or Emperor), Beatles, Tom Petty ok you get the idea. Are the 75s in the cab going to make it sound bad for this and only good for extreme metal. I would look into the Marshall with v30s but thats out of my price range.

Old 2007-07-31, 08:07
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRX10D
Mortal_Lament brings up the point I am concerned about with the 1960 the speakers. Besides metal I also play a fair share of classic rock Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Sabbath,(while maybe Sabbath is metal but not same style as say Death or Emperor), Beatles, Tom Petty ok you get the idea. Are the 75s in the cab going to make it sound bad for this and only good for extreme metal. I would look into the Marshall with v30s but thats out of my price range.

The 75's are great speakers all around IMO. A bit more scooped(lots of lows and not so much mids) sounding than Vintage 30's(quite midrangey). But the real question is what head do you have? Since that will play a much bigger role in your tone than 75's vs v30's.

Worse comes to worse, you can sell the 75's and buy some used vintage 30's, or any other speaker for that matter. The price difference isnt huge, and to swap speakers in cabs is very easy.

Old 2007-08-02, 02:57
JacksonRX10D
New Blood

At the moment i don't really have an amp head. I would be using my Traynor 40 watt tube combo as the head until I save up for a good head possibly a 6505+. I wasn't getting the sound I want out of my amp. And I figured I would start by buying a new cab first so the low end response would be more articulate than the open back 1x12 combo palm mutes just have no punch with or with out distortion pedals or how the eq is set

By the way the amp has already received two mods

1. Higher gain preamp tube got rid of the low gain russian tubes and put in high gain Chinese's tubes (still is a fairly low gain amp will still be using distortion pedal for metal)
2. got rid of the stock celestion 70/80 and put in a eminence governor. This made the biggest difference but even though it was a night and day difference i realized i need more speakers to share the load and a closed back cab for better projection

I can't just turn the combo into a closed back because then the tubes would over heat really quickly in my garage

Old 2007-08-02, 06:36
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I had the 5150/1960 comb. It was good.

Old 2007-08-02, 10:17
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
I had the 5150/1960 comb. It was good.

My guitarist runs it. It's great.

Old 2007-08-02, 14:12
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

If you have a trebley amp I would stay away from 75's and go for V30's.

Old 2007-08-02, 16:33
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Thanks man, thats all i needed to hear. I'm gunna replace the speakers in the 1960, but i'm really looking at these G12k-100s, anyone have any experience?
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount