MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-07-25, 08:27
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Unhappy Help! NOISY amp!

Hey, my amps fuckin noisy!! I use a NS-2 in front, but there's a shit load of Hiss and static when the guitars turned down. I put a cheap noise suppressor in the effects loop and that seemed to quite it down a bit. But I don't like the way it kills the sustain. I have recently replaced the power tubes. It's a Peavey valveking, and before you start with the "get a real amp, or buy a new one" it's what I can afford and I don't plan on touring the world anytime soon, so it's what it is. Would replacing the pre-amp tubes make much difference?
Any help would be appreciated!.

Old 2007-07-29, 01:58
PUngency
Senior Metalhead

Have you tried swapping your cables? There may be a groundlife switch on your amp, try flipping it.

If you turn down the gain does the noise go away or does it stay?

Old 2007-07-29, 14:40
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Sounds like it might be preamp tubes, but those Valveking combo's are pretty badly made so it may just be naturally like that.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-07-31, 22:48
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Heh, i have the same problem but i know what mines from.

Funny story...
so i'm jammin right, and everythings fine, its pretty noisy because the pretubes are old, and i accidentally bump into my amp. It sounded like a gunshot, the loudest crack ever, and then volume cut to half, kinda wavered up and down, and was just wierd. So i did a microphonics test (tap the tube with something while amp is on) and all 6 of my pretubes and even my phase inverter had gone microphonic hahahahahahh. Yes Valtiel, it is time for some new goddamn tubes.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-08-01, 18:07
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-08-28, 06:03
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Yeah, I replaced the preamp valves and it's a lot better. Thanks for the replies. I have the head version tho, into two 4X12's and if the build qualitys bad It sure don't SOUND like it.Great amp for the money IMO.

Old 2007-08-28, 08:49
Soeru
Post-whore

Happened to one of my pre tubes too very recently. Fortunately I had changed all but 1 of the tubes so I knew if I was getting microphonics it was the old one(I kept it in the V1 cause it had a little more presence than the JJ's I have in the other positions). It was a bizarre mechanical sort of whine and lots of static, really horrible.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-08-28, 19:56
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Happened to one of my pre tubes too very recently. Fortunately I had changed all but 1 of the tubes so I knew if I was getting microphonics it was the old one(I kept it in the V1 cause it had a little more presence than the JJ's I have in the other positions). It was a bizarre mechanical sort of whine and lots of static, really horrible.

Yeah, it sound like a grinder coming to a halt, really bad stuff.

Anyway, the Valvekings are noisy anyway, but what you can do is run the NS-2 in the effects loop instead of in front of the amp.