MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-07-19, 04:18
Nemesis 12-19
New Blood

22 Fret Dilema

Alright. So, looking into. new guitar yada yada yada ... tried the RR3 the other day. LOVED the crap out of it. EXCEPT! 22 frets. I play lead guitar and it was just awkward trying to do some solo's with out the 23rd and 24th fret. My question is, are the 2 extra frets REALLY worth it? I mean, with some extra time spent into learning those solo's over ... could I not just learn to bend the 22nd fret to hit that 24th frets note? or has someone here attempted to learn that and found it damn near impossible?

Old 2007-07-19, 06:52
ulrichmc
Senior Metalhead

I have an RR3 and love it. Except for the licensed floyd which is shit, and the pickups could use a little improvement, but I plan on replacing the pickups and the tremolo with a real floyd at some point anyway. Other than that, it plays very nice, especially for the price range. As far as frets go, well you can of course bend from 22 to hit 24, 25, maybe a bit higher depending on string gauge, but then you can't bend from 24 which may be necessary depending on the lead (assuming you play music other than your own). I say, if you really think you need 24, then you should probably go ahead and get those extra two. I'd rather have more frets than I need rather than not enough.
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Old 2007-07-19, 08:54
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Put it this way, I'll never buy a 22 fretter again. It makes a lot of difference to me. Not sure where your budget lies but the RR24 version has, as the name implies, 24 frets. Its more cashola though. Also I think the ESP/LTD versions might have extra frets??

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-07-19, 10:09
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Yeah there are thousands of good guitars, i'm sure you could find a similar model of similar price without having to sacrifice anything.

Old 2007-07-19, 14:23
thedogwave
Metalhead

i know where you're coming from man. i've played rg's forever but i've been drooling over that new s prestige but 22 frets just seems incomplete if you're used to the other 2. another question i've asked a million times and never got a for sure answer on is about the actual fret spacing on a 22 fret guitar. is the fret spacing the same without the two highest frets or is the spacing slightly different across the whole neck?

Old 2007-07-19, 15:33
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedogwave
i know where you're coming from man. i've played rg's forever but i've been drooling over that new s prestige but 22 frets just seems incomplete if you're used to the other 2. another question i've asked a million times and never got a for sure answer on is about the actual fret spacing on a 22 fret guitar. is the fret spacing the same without the two highest frets or is the spacing slightly different across the whole neck?

As long as the scale length ( 24.75"-25.5" ) remains the same than the spacing between the frets remains the same.

Basically, a 22 fret guitar just has the end of the fretboard cut off where the other 2 frets would be located.

Old 2007-07-19, 16:14
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

So does the bridge distance compensate then for the shorter neck? Would you need to use slightly heavier guage strings on a 22 as opposed to a 24 in the same tuning, to compensate for the lower length/tension?

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-07-19, 16:44
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorath23
So does the bridge distance compensate then for the shorter neck? Would you need to use slightly heavier guage strings on a 22 as opposed to a 24 in the same tuning, to compensate for the lower length/tension?

no, he just said that the scale stays the same.

scale = distance from nut to bridge. Therefore, 24.75" scale will ALWAYS be 24.75 inches long, no matter how many frets are there.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-07-20, 20:51
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
no, he just said that the scale stays the same.

scale = distance from nut to bridge. Therefore, 24.75" scale will ALWAYS be 24.75 inches long, no matter how many frets are there.

Correct, the fretboard is just longer on 24 fretters. I personally prefer 22 fret guitars because the neck pickup is located in the "sweet spot", which is the 24 fret harmonic node.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-07-20, 22:04
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Correct, the fretboard is just longer on 24 fretters. I personally prefer 22 fret guitars because the neck pickup is located in the "sweet spot", which is the 24 fret harmonic node.

its funny because i prefer just the opposite. I like 24 frets because the neck pickup has less bass and with my current setup, that means less mud when i use it to do stoner rhythms
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-07-23, 23:37
thedogwave
Metalhead

i've always been interested in that. does that tiny bit of space really make a huge difference in tone? i mean the logic is there about that whole 24th harmonic whatever but ive never really had a chance to play a 22 and 24 fret guitar side by side on the same amp. i've always thought that the tone on the ibanez s is a little bit better than a rg. im really thinking about trying one out and it'll be nice to have a better trem the trems they put on the lower end rgs are fucking gross, mine somehow bent. i dont even understand it.

Old 2007-07-24, 00:16
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Oh my god no.

get the 24 frets.

it's worth it.

it affects the tone aswell, longer neck (USUALY)

Old 2007-07-24, 00:19
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

24 frets is not BETTER, everyone get over thinking that 24 frets are superior to 22.

Old 2007-07-25, 00:02
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Yeah, neck pickups are actually useful on 22 fretters. I'm getting an rr3 once I get a couple paychecks under my belt. A big step up from a JS30!

Old 2007-08-02, 17:23
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

if you like the rhoads 3 modle, but dont like the 22 frets, why not try the Peavey Vortex EX? it may not have the tone knob, or the extra volume knob(which i think sucks) but the neck is really fast, its compound radius makes it even easier to fret around. and it has 2 really hot ceramic pickups, 24 frets, and all the other good things..

bad things about it, the wood they use is base wood, as suppose to rhoads 3's alder. so its a lil heavier. i think the rhoads come in at about 5 lbs, the peavey vortex comes in at 6 lbs...

Old 2007-08-02, 18:09
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat
Oh my god no.

get the 24 frets.

it's worth it.

it affects the tone aswell, longer neck (USUALY)

We covered this, 24 fret necks have the same scale length as 22's. Just a slightly longer fretboard, same length neck. The only real tonal difference is on the neck pickup.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:

Old 2007-08-02, 18:22
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
We covered this, 24 fret necks have the same scale length as 22's.

No, true 24 fret necks are 25.5". Few manufacturers ever produced 24 fret necks with a Gibson 22 fret/24.75" scale.

Fenders however I believe have 25.5" scale, but only 22 frets.

I can't live without 24, it feels like I'm getting ripped off, but I like most of the 24.75"/22 fret guitar I've played, the neck is shorter and I somehow perceived that hand shifting a lot quicker.

Example:

Gibson: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--GIBLPSTU

22 frets, 24 3/4 scale.

Ibanez RG:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IBARG370DX

24 fret, 25.5" scale.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2007-08-02 at 18:26.

Old 2007-08-02, 18:47
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Well all I know is that all PRS' use a 25" scale for both 22 and 24 fret models.

Quote:

Old 2007-08-02, 19:18
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Personaly, I don't think the extra 2 frets are something to fret about (pun intended )

You can find the same notes near where the 24th fret is supposed to be on the 22th fret two strings lower.
Well, that does mean that it's difficult for the lowest two strings, but how many notes in a solo go in the low string region, realy?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!