MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-06-25, 01:19
Beowulf44
Metalhead

"Brutal" cabs

Hey, sorry to make another thread, but I am just curious. I don't know if I will use this thread to make a purchase decision, I might, who knows, but it's moreso just to learn about amps and such... but ANYWAYS...

I'm curious, which cabinets out there have the most brutal and bassiest sound that you've heard?

Last edited by Beowulf44 : 2007-06-25 at 01:36.

Old 2007-06-25, 01:38
Requiem
Post-whore

You might want to try and get the cabinet that your favorite band uses. Go for their specific sound or just a guitarist who was a sound that you enjoy.

Old 2007-06-25, 01:44
Beowulf44
Metalhead

Where can I find that out? I guess my all time favorite guitar tone is the one Cannibal Corpse used on The Bleeding, any suggestions?

EDIT: I recently purchased an ENGL SE head to go along with my Jackson MG Warrior, I can still get that type of tone with that equipment, right? What kind of cab would work well with that for a 'The Bleeding' tone?

Last edited by Beowulf44 : 2007-06-25 at 01:52.

Old 2007-06-25, 01:47
Requiem
Post-whore

Sorry man I can't help you there. Just go to youtube and watch some of their older studio videos and live shows.

Old 2007-06-25, 01:59
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Crate GX130C

And

Crate Blue Voodoo

Thats what they used around that period atleast as far as i've read
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.

Old 2007-06-25, 02:27
Beowulf44
Metalhead

Thanks.

I wanted this topic to be about 'brutal' amps in general, not really a Cannibal Corpse tone thread, so I hope more people will post in it although my Corpse question has been answered.

Old 2007-06-25, 03:09
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Why the fuck just not use a bass cabinet and run a guitar head through it. It be heavy as fuck and still remain clear.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-06-25, 05:56
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

^^ Dont think thats the best idea...
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-06-25, 06:26
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

i wouldnt imagine

Old 2007-06-25, 08:52
Soeru
Post-whore

A lot of death metal bands these days are using Rectifier cabinets these days. Vader cabs are also somewhat popular.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-06-25, 14:59
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
^^ Dont think thats the best idea...

I dunno I tried it once. Even running a distortion pedal through a bass rig. I'm just curious as to why it wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 2007-06-25, 17:12
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Because the speakers are tuned for a different tonal range.

It sounds like shit. Playing to a bass rig is even more rediculous.

If you play in drop A and only hit fret 1,2,3 then it might work for you though.

Like I said in your last thread, I have an Engl SE, Powerball, Savage and I used to have a Blackmore as well.

- I use a Marshall 1960 with all my Engl's. Because most places we play gigs at have 1960's and I won't have to drag mine along. It's the 'standard' of cabinets and it just sounds pretty good plus THEY LAST. (mine looks like crap but it's still going strong after 6 years!)
Not the best cabs around IMO but they sound relatively good.

- The Engl XXL with v30's sounds pretty good, the regular cabs are ok but the XXL has much richer tone. Very defined and tight, heavy as a mofo though...

- VHT cabs sound incredible with my Powerball, haven't played one with the SE but I expect the same. Defined lows and fluid mid/hi and a lot of punch.

- The older Mesa cabs (with the 2xEV's and 2xV30's) sound awesome, hard to find though and expensive. Very deep and punchy, great mids but medicore high tones if you don't tweak them on the amp itself.

Many other cabs sound good, Bogner, Framus, Brunetti, Orange (even though they look silly), Soldano, Koch, Rivera, Cool & Elfring and Hi-watt. There's too many too name and all have their own tone, just drag the amp along to the guitar store and try them all.

You just spend about 3500 dollar on a new amp, so get out there and take the effort to find the best possible cab fitting YOUR style. That's your own job, don't take our opinions for facts..

And get some pics of that SE!!

Old 2007-06-25, 17:54
k13m
Post-whore

if your after a tone that youve heard on a recorded album.. good luck, youll probaly never get it

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2007-06-25, 20:47
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
I dunno I tried it once. Even running a distortion pedal through a bass rig. I'm just curious as to why it wouldn't be a good idea.

On top of what Def said, just refer to the old saying saying "if it were a good idea, lots a people would be doing it." I cant think of one guitar player that uses a bass cab.

Plus, bass cabs are typically designed with very high power speakers. So add the fact that because of that, those speakers will sound extremely stiff and lifeless with the fact that the speakers themselves as well as the enclosure they are in are tuned to work with a bass and the frequencies it produces and it will equal a very bad idea. Tonally speaking of course.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:

Old 2007-06-25, 20:50
the_bleeding
Post-whore

the bleeding hahahahhaha oh man. tis my fuckin username.

for that album they used a mix of things. of which are:
crate shockwave
marshall jcm 900 (i believe it was the sl-x, don't quote me though)
marshall avt combos
and there may have been a peavey combo in there too.

and i also think they used a touch of chorus in some of their songs.

i'd say a sure fire way of getting that tone is a crate shockwave through a marshall cabinet. Either that or a jcm900 sl-x with a booster infront of it, and loaded with the hottest preamp tubes you can find.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-06-25, 21:08
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Luc lemay from gorguts used a MarshalL Preamp into a Ampeg VB4 100 watt tube BASS head into a 4x12

Ive seen guys use Bass cabs as the bottom of their guitar rig, it all depends on how low you tune

Old 2007-06-25, 22:28
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Quote:
I cant think of one guitar player that uses a bass cab.

Josh HOmme

Old 2007-06-25, 23:02
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

If you really want a guitar tone that monstrous and ridiculous, the only way it'll fly ( from my first hand experience ) is to use a guitar cab AND a bass cab, but mix the volumes of the two. What I actually did was I used a preamp ( Line 6 PODXT in particular )'s two inputs each into separate channels of an 1800 watt poweramp, and for each speaker channel had one going to a guitar cab and one going to bass. On the bass side I had a 32 band EQ to boost/cut the frequencies I wanted. The guitar side was dry and I always had it louder than the bass side.
Nowadays I'd rather use the amplifier head of my choice and just use a Vector subwoofer guitar cab or something like that.

Old 2007-06-25, 23:16
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

I think that just gets rediculous, because you are taking up the bass players territory at that point.

Quote:

Old 2007-06-25, 23:24
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
I think that just gets rediculous, because you are taking up the bass players territory at that point.

nice 666th post... but yeah... there are such things as NNFB bands... "no need for bassist". but those bands typically play matamps.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-06-26, 01:24
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Quote:

I would'nt use a setup like that with a bassist. That would be catastrophic, but that would also be Intense Hammer Rage.

Old 2007-06-26, 06:07
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
nice 666th post... but yeah... there are such things as NNFB bands... "no need for bassist". but those bands typically play matamps.

Haha thanks for noticing. Have you heard the latest Katatonia? Fuck Matamps are THICK!

Quote:

Old 2007-06-26, 17:37
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:

But then again this is Brutal Death Metal.It's ment to be over the top in the heavy department with the low tunnings. I think Ruban from Devourment uses bass cabinets. Not sure tho.

But if you are looking for The Bleeding tone a Crate Shockwave and Marshall cabinet would be best.

Old 2007-06-26, 20:43
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Gx130c, If I remember CORRECTLY and with my fried brain thats not to likely but Shockwaves came about in the last 5 years I think I remember reading a post about when they got released on here and I started playing guitar 5 years ago so deductive reasoning. NOW if those 2 amps sound the same ignore me, I am obviously wasting space pretending to know what i am talking about

Old 2007-06-27, 04:29
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

As far as brutal amps are concerned, why hasn't anyone yet mentioned the Ampeg VH140c? I'm totally in love with this amp. I've owned one since May and I still have not gone past 5 on the gain, nor even past 0.5 on the bass knob, it's sickness defined.

As far as cabs are concerned, MESAs with v30s, Marshall 1960s, Avatars and Vaders are the way to go. Can't really go wrong with any of them although I prefer Vader over all.

Old Cannibal Corpse = Crate GX130c
Old Suffocation and Gorguts = Ampeg VH140c

Old 2007-06-27, 21:22
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Gorguts on Considered Dead used Hot rodded JCM 900's and they used those same amps for half of Erosion (2 of the 4 rhythm tracks per song) and used the VH140C for the other half of the rhythms on Erosion

Old 2007-06-28, 01:58
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrmidonlord666
Gx130c, If I remember CORRECTLY and with my fried brain thats not to likely but Shockwaves came about in the last 5 years I think I remember reading a post about when they got released on here and I started playing guitar 5 years ago so deductive reasoning. NOW if those 2 amps sound the same ignore me, I am obviously wasting space pretending to know what i am talking about

shockwave is the same as a tidalwave, i believe.... correct me if im wrong

Old 2007-06-28, 03:33
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Gorguts on Considered Dead used Hot rodded JCM 900's and they used those same amps for half of Erosion (2 of the 4 rhythm tracks per song) and used the VH140C for the other half of the rhythms on Erosion

Any Knowledge on what they used for Obscura? I'm guessing just Marshalls

Old 2007-06-28, 03:46
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

JMP1 into VB4 Ampeg into a Marshall 1960a cab

EMG pickups in Jackson guitars

Old 2007-06-28, 19:02
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:

also typically suck, or are never heard of outside of myspace and their own garage.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-06-28, 21:15
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
JMP1 into VB4 Ampeg into a Marshall 1960a cab

EMG pickups in Jackson guitars

Whoa amazing, any idea what was used on FWTH?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-06-28, 21:33
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Same Thats luc's set up post 98. I had a JMP1 and I could get that tone with fuck i forget what preset ill try and see if i have it written down.

Old 2007-06-28, 21:37
sqol
Post-whore

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven