MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-06-18, 03:25
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Right Hand Placing

When I'm playing, where do I put my hand? Do I rest it on the bridge/strings, or should I just be holding it in the air?

Old 2007-06-18, 04:06
thedogwave
Metalhead

i change my right hand placement a lot depending on what i'm doing. i'm always muting strings i'm not playing with my right hand but my hand placement definitely changed depending what technique i'm using. even if i play the same arpeggio with different techniques (alternate picking/sweeping) my hand placement changes. it's all about comfort. comfort is speed.

Old 2007-06-18, 04:20
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

ya it depends on what im soing when i sweep i have my hands kinda above the strings. but alot of times i rest on teh bridge or right above it.

Old 2007-06-18, 04:47
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

So resting my hand on the bridge isn't necessarily a bad guitar habit?

Old 2007-06-18, 05:05
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

i wouldnt suppose you have a stringthrough bridge and you do that and you later swithc to a floyd rose and u rest your have on the bridge you may find yourself pushing the bridge down adn bending pitch haha

Old 2007-06-18, 05:12
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
i wouldnt suppose you have a stringthrough bridge and you do that and you later swithc to a floyd rose and u rest your have on the bridge you may find yourself pushing the bridge down adn bending pitch haha

I have an Edge Pro bridge (similar to a Floyd) and I haven't run into any pitch problems.

Old 2007-06-18, 08:08
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Then you must be doing fine.

Old 2007-06-18, 10:28
Soeru
Post-whore

On the bridge, with light touch. I use stupidly high gauge strings anyway so to bend the bridge/strings out of tune I have to press the floyd REALLY hard for it to shift the pitch, try using high gauge strings + spring tension if you run into this problem

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-06-18, 11:49
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

YOU PLACE IT ON THE STRINGS WHILE PALM MUTING AND ON THE BRIDGE WHEN NOT PALM MUTING DICKHEAD.

Old 2007-06-18, 13:11
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

i dont put it on the bridge when not palm muting. bitch.

Old 2007-06-18, 13:52
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
YOU PLACE IT ON THE STRINGS WHILE PALM MUTING AND ON THE BRIDGE WHEN NOT PALM MUTING DICKHEAD.

If that was supposed to be humorous in any way, you failed. Of course if you were trying to be obnoxious, then man, I give you serious props, cause that was "the shit" in the "annoying remedial, 8th grader " category.

Either way it wasn't amusing, If that's what you were going for. I, however do apologize if I wasn't correct on any of my assumptions, and you had something serious going on in your head (not likely) when you posted that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
When I'm playing, where do I put my hand? Do I rest it on the bridge/strings, or should I just be holding it in the air?

If whatever you're doing is working for you now, and your playing is improving, then stick with whatever technique you use. If not, there's always places to read about more standard techniques, whatever that may be.

Truthfully unless you have a teacher, you're going to have to wing it as far as technique goes. Trial and Error.

One thing you should do, is pay careful attention to your technique, and don't stray from it.

Old 2007-06-18, 15:02
JOAMdude
Post-whore

this is kind of related but...

whenever im playing (stnading up), i put my strap so my pups are a lil bit lower than my belly button, this is perfect for my fret access and my alt. picking comfort, but my elbow sticks out in order for my hand to be comfortable, and after a while my shoulder starts to ache, has anyone had this? does it matter? how did you fix it?

Old 2007-06-18, 21:11
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Any kind of pain matters! Try and find a playing position that avoids it.

Old 2007-06-18, 23:35
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
this is kind of related but...

whenever im playing (stnading up), i put my strap so my pups are a lil bit lower than my belly button, this is perfect for my fret access and my alt. picking comfort, but my elbow sticks out in order for my hand to be comfortable, and after a while my shoulder starts to ache, has anyone had this? does it matter? how did you fix it?

The easiest and safest solution would be to raise your guitar to the point where your elbow stops sticking out. Otherwise, it sounds like your shoulder could use some endurance training. I know that if you do pushups with your feet raised in the air (prop them on a chair or something) you can get a pretty intense shoulder workout.

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2007-06-18 at 23:42.

Old 2007-06-19, 06:49
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
i would imagine that if anyone is resting against their bridge hard enough to put a floating bridge out of tune, then they are probably too tense in the right hand whether they are using a floating bridge or not.

Old 2007-06-19, 06:57
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Otherwise, it sounds like your shoulder could use some endurance training. I know that if you do pushups with your feet raised in the air (prop them on a chair or something) you can get a pretty intense shoulder workout.
probably good advice, *but* doing these is not easy if you're new to push-ups! i've been doing them for years, but when i first began i could barely do 2 regular ones, nevermind the elevated kind.

Old 2007-06-19, 20:44
k13m
Post-whore

i usualy rest my pinky on the body and sortof dammp the high E string at the same time (unless i play on the high e ofcuz). i also pick sortof behind the neck pu mostly, between neck and mid pu (if i would have a mid pu), kinda akward maybe but whatever

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2007-06-20, 05:34
TangledMortalCoil
Senior Metalhead

^ i usually pick in that exact same spot too