MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2007-06-01, 18:05
overtheedge86
New Blood

Practicing multiple instruments

So i'm a guitar player originally for about 6-7 years, I started bass about 1 year ago. Recently i picked up drums again and it wasn't too bad, my guitar, lets just say it's not so good. It's frustrating having to relearn everything, while still trying to learn new things on bass. How do you guys deal with playing multiple instruments and still progress with them all.

Old 2007-06-01, 19:33
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

dont really know what to tell you, devote more time to your practicing and dont just "quit" one to work on another, work on all instruments all the time.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-06-02, 03:03
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

just keep on playing. i dont play my classical(or electric for that matter) guitar nearly as much as i should, but lo and behold every time i play them im better than the last time. if you run into a snag i.e., your guitar playing is not what it used to be, make the time to practice, and by practice i mean practicing, not playing. its been my experience that playing other intsruments can really help you develop as a musician, especially in the songwriting department.just keep on playing, and youll always improve.

Old 2007-06-02, 22:44
blitz906
Okay.

The only thing I can say is PRACTICE

Oh... and good luck of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-06-03, 23:55
Requiem
Post-whore

Try and devote an equal amount of time to each. Lessons wouldn't hurt.

Old 2007-06-05, 00:47
matterthief
Metalhead

There are very few people who can truly master multiple instruments. Most of us spend a lifetime mastering one. I'm guessing you aren't a musical savant either or you wouldn't be struggling with this. I'm a bassist but I play guitar to help me write songs and for fun. I imagine what I would play on bass while I play guitar and vice versa. It makes the transition easier and makes the idea more of a cohesive thought. Sometimes I'll play a bassline on guitar I never would have thought of on a bass.

It may be easier for you to pick one instrument as your main focus (you played guitar for 7 years right? That's a good start...) and play others to add to your growth as a musician. Don't worry about mastering them all. My guitar playing is but playing guitar has improved me as a bassist.