MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2007-05-11, 15:00
Schizoid
Senior Metalhead

Out of Key!

Hello Metal Heads,

There is one thing that has been confusing for a long time. I've realized when I analyze a lot of classical music they mostly never stick to one key. Even when the songs are called for example Concerto in C major; a lot of the notes are not in the C major! I don't understand that. When they refer to the key do they mean it as the main key of the song and they modulate out of the key at numerous times? I think this is the logic. Any feedback on this would be great.

Thank You All!

Old 2007-05-11, 15:05
Unanything
Post-whore

You got to realise that the music is based in C major, but then they might use notes from outside to add in a different sound.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-05-11, 18:44
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Good musicians follow the chord. So while a progression might be based out of C major. The chords of C major scale (C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - Bdim) contain minor chords as well so many players will play that specfic scale ((any) D minor scale over a Dm chord, (any) Em scale over a Em chord) or pull specific tones from that scale to add color.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2007-05-11, 20:09
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizoid
Hello Metal Heads,

There is one thing that has been confusing for a long time. I've realized when I analyze a lot of classical music they mostly never stick to one key. Even when the songs are called for example Concerto in C major; a lot of the notes are not in the C major! I don't understand that. When they refer to the key do they mean it as the main key of the song and they modulate out of the key at numerous times? I think this is the logic. Any feedback on this would be great.

Thank You All!

Yes, they switch keys. Usually they start and end on the same key and modulate to other keys in between. Some classical forms even include the key changes.

Old 2007-05-12, 02:05
PutridWinds
New Blood

Even when the music says that it's in C major, the composer may often go to the Dominant key (G major) which has one accidental, or the subdominant key (F major) which also has one accidental. In addition, the use of scales like the harmonic and melodic minor scales will also create accidentals in the music, as will chords like diminished 7 chords.

Old 2007-05-14, 13:42
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

It's called the Corelli protocol.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2007-05-17, 11:04
Unanything
Post-whore

I noticed they do a lot of that in stuf that's in sonata form, especially during the recapitulation.

Quote:
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-05-17, 12:54
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Mainly no, that happens in the development section, not the recapitulation.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2007-05-17, 14:41
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Mainly no, that happens in the development section, not the recapitulation.

Well, yeah, but usually they bring back the original theme with bits from the sub-dominant and dominant keys, at least in many that we studied in Music.

Plus you could have the same key but a completely different melody in the development.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2007-05-20, 00:45
powersofterror
Forum Leader

It doesn't matter how much the other sections change, the point and basic definition of the devolopment section is to fuck around and change what had been musically stated already.

This is my band's page

Old 2007-05-20, 12:08
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
It doesn't matter how much the other sections change, the point and basic definition of the devolopment section is to fuck around and change what had been musically stated already.

OK OK!

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2007-05-21, 16:14
powersofterror
Forum Leader

....just fuckin' around....

-Richard Pryor

This is my band's page

Old 2008-02-17, 18:12
Corruption
Metalhead

Ya they switch keys to add more notes, but they usually end w/ the same key + note as they started with, excluding annacrusi

I play lead guitar in a band called Elpium Eyeballs. We're workin on our first album, to be called Hookah

Old 2009-07-21, 01:07
rockitmarty
New Blood

Out of Key!

They're suppose to modulate, its part of the forms.