MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2007-04-11, 00:42
Vittu0666
New Blood

Counterpoint Help!

So I'd like to use counterpoint...But I have no idea on how to compose it. All help is greatly appreciated.

Old 2007-04-11, 08:28
JAMF
Senior Metalhead

As I understand it, a counterpoint is just another melody played at the same time as a different melody in the same key. I could be wrong though.

Old 2007-04-11, 09:51
guitar_demon
MotörCat

basically yes just to melodeis played at same time, but they need to flow together too and not be two completly different melodies that are just playing at once and you dont want them both doing crazy stuff at the same time people will just think its chaos and not pay attention

say you have to melodies A and B
A can start off with some quick licks 16 note arpeggios or whatever, and B can be hanging back a bit playing some qrter or just half notes to take less attention from it without killing it completly. a decent rule is if one gets crazy or does somethign you want people to noticed the other(s) should be less intense not to say that you cant do that a speedy run where people catch up a bar late (think row row row your boat, where each kid joins in after the first two bars)
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2007-04-11, 10:49
Vittu0666
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
say you have to melodies A and B
A can start off with some quick licks 16 note arpeggios or whatever, and B can be hanging back a bit playing some qrter or just half notes to take less attention from it without killing it completly. a decent rule is if one gets crazy or does somethign you want people to noticed the other(s) should be less intense not to say that you cant do that a speedy run where people catch up a bar late (think row row row your boat, where each kid joins in after the first two bars)

Ah yes, a Canon (Row row row your boat)

But for the melodies, do they have to follow a chord progression? I've sat down and analyzed some contropuntal pieces, and they were created around chords. When writing counterpoint, would it be wise to follow a circle of fifths progression? Or just choose any random chords? Should I write melody A first, then have melody B somewhat follow it? Or should I just write two melodies and hope they blend together?

Old 2007-04-11, 11:00
guitar_demon
MotörCat

maybe come up with a motěf or a theme that they both have a common ground on. as far as chord progression you could just use circle of 5ths to get a hang of it
though im trying to remember this sheet my music teacher once gaveus back in highschool i think it went like this

I-can go anywhere cause its the main chord of the progression
ii- likes to lead to ether a V or a vii
iii- to a vi
iv- to a V or a vii
V- to I (for authentic cadence) or a IV for like 'amen' type ending and i think to a vi for a deceptive cadence
vi- ii or IV
vii- to a I
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2007-04-11, 14:11
robbcorpse
New Blood

Holy crap. I'm saving your post to a txt file (the chord progression bit). Thats a good piece of information!

Old 2007-04-11, 14:54
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Counterpoint is when you have a melody with a counter part...they are not both melodies.

There are rules for counterpoint. When this forum opened I wrote quite a few lengthy threads on counterpoint. Look for those.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2007-04-11, 16:50
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

man, i've had mucho counterpoint classes this year; its insanely complex

Old 2007-04-11, 20:52
powersofterror
Forum Leader

hahah, are they general counterpoint classes, or do they pertain to a specific era of history? If that's the case, it should be a lot easier. I took two class--16th century counterpoint and 18th century counterpoint--and they were very easy to pass.

On the other hand, you should try taking some Form Analysis and Harmonic Analysis courses from the 3 and 4 thousand level (advanced) courses. Those two are hard......I believe I've made a thread about it here before asking for help that I could only get from John, who's great at math.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-12, 03:00
Vittu0666
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
hahah, are they general counterpoint classes, or do they pertain to a specific era of history? If that's the case, it should be a lot easier. I took two class--16th century counterpoint and 18th century counterpoint--and they were very easy to pass.

On the other hand, you should try taking some Form Analysis and Harmonic Analysis courses from the 3 and 4 thousand level (advanced) courses. Those two are hard......I believe I've made a thread about it here before asking for help that I could only get from John, who's great at math.

They actually have classes on Counterpoint? Ha ha. That's fuckin' insane. I've read up on some of the rules of counterpoint, and it's pretty excessive. Is there any courses on Bach's Fugues? Speaking of Fugues, what makes a Fugue a Fugue?

Old 2007-04-13, 14:39
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Goooooood question. I did my final in 18th century counterpoint on a Bach fugue.

A fugue is an imitative, contrapuntal (adj. form of the word counterpoint by the way) piece where each voice comes in one after the other. As soon as all the voices enter, a sequence starts....and depending on what the composer wants, do more sequesnces and restate the fugue subject for the end. A fugue is not a cannon.

Gimmi some time and I'll post up the midi version of my finial in the next day or maybe late tonight. Hahhaa, we had musicians play them all at the end of the semester, and mine was like a fucking funeral march. instrumentation was euphonium, oboe, french horn, and trumpet--and the french horn took his part down an octave. You're gonna love it....

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-14, 01:59
Vittu0666
New Blood

Quote:
Goooooood question. I did my final in 18th century counterpoint on a Bach fugue.

A fugue is an imitative, contrapuntal (adj. form of the word counterpoint by the way) piece where each voice comes in one after the other. As soon as all the voices enter, a sequence starts....and depending on what the composer wants, do more sequesnces and restate the fugue subject for the end. A fugue is not a cannon.

Gimmi some time and I'll post up the midi version of my finial in the next day or maybe late tonight. Hahhaa, we had musicians play them all at the end of the semester, and mine was like a fucking funeral march. instrumentation was euphonium, oboe, french horn, and trumpet--and the french horn took his part down an octave. You're gonna love it....

Wow. That sounds more metal than burning down a fucking church! I'm extremely excited and can't wait to hear it! Thanks for answering the question. I've written a few bars of counterpoint since my last post. I kinda don't like it...it's weird...The left hand (written in piano) isn't doing straight quarters, halfs, etc. It's really random, while the right hand is straight 8th notes. Whichever. I'll work more with it. Hopefully I'll come up with something cool.

Old 2007-04-16, 21:44
powersofterror
Forum Leader

For the final exam, what we did was take a Bach fugue subject and write a whole new fugue to it. This is mine....I don't know what subject it's from though.....I got like an 86 or something on it, so I guess there are a few mistakes. I was happy enough to be done with the class, so I kinda deleted/didn't look over the teacher's comments on it....oops...

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-17, 00:45
aslkvbiwbegv
Metalhead

Quote:
For the final exam, what we did was take a Bach fugue subject and write a whole new fugue to it. This is mine....I don't know what subject it's from though.....I got like an 86 or something on it, so I guess there are a few mistakes. I was happy enough to be done with the class, so I kinda deleted/didn't look over the teacher's comments on it....oops...

Nice, I can't wait to take that class.

Old 2007-04-17, 02:38
Vittu0666
New Blood

Quote:

Wow. Fucking brilliant! That was really great! 0:44 - 0:50 is my favorite part. Between 1:10 - 1:15 it seemed a little rushed. But you got an 86 on it? Come now! That's pretty harsh! I think it should have been atleast a 92. And that's being mean.

Old 2007-04-17, 06:51
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Would that be referring to the last sequence? Meh, it was an odd/off beat rhythm and the tempo doesn't change at all...also fugues are non-stop with no breaks.

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-17, 08:40
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

Counter point can be very complex, and it can also be something that you just do naturally without even realizing. Usually, not always, soloing over a chord progression is one form or another of counterpoint.

Wiki has a surprisingly good amount on CP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint

Old 2007-04-17, 20:18
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

great thread.

Quote:

cool piece. its dreary ( in a good way), a very metal fugue.

Old 2007-04-19, 15:33
Unanything
Post-whore

Counterpoint ain't hard, or special. It's simply writing two parts that are fairly different, and have a weaving sound. It's not really not something you compose, or a form, it's a feature of music.

I like writing counterpoint. It adds depth.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-04-19, 19:11
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddist
Counter point can be very complex, and it can also be something that you just do naturally without even realizing. Usually, not always, soloing over a chord progression is one form or another of counterpoint.

Wiki has a surprisingly good amount on CP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint

very suprising, thanks for the heads up.

Old 2007-04-20, 06:58
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything
Counterpoint ain't hard, or special. It's simply writing two parts that are fairly different, and have a weaving sound. It's not really not something you compose, or a form, it's a feature of music.

Somewhat true, but it can just as easily be something youd have to take a multi semester college course to fully understand. Capital is one of the premier private colleges of music, yes better than berkely. And they offer a 3 semester course on counterpoint alone.

Old 2007-04-20, 19:48
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

If anybody's looking for modern bands that utilise counterpoint, check out Gorgasm and Anata to name but two.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2007-04-20, 21:35
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Can you give me a tabbed example, John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything

Ain't hard or special? Fairly different? Weaving sound? Not composing?

What the fuck are you talking about?

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-20, 22:30
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Infinity's tab of Entropy Within by Anata (try over at Rivers Of Gore) has some in the chorus I believe. I don't think it's full on counterpoint but there's enough difference between the two guitar lines for it to qualify as such to these ears.

The examples I can think of from Gorgasm haven't been tabbed but track 5 from Masticate to Dominate has a good demonstration of counterpoint in the bridge riff.

Also, how would everybody class most of the songs on Morbid Angel's Heretic: Counterpoint or polyrhythms?

Old 2007-04-22, 23:49
powersofterror
Forum Leader

If you're talking about this, this is not counterpoint....merely polyphony.

From tabcrawler
Riff 2
^ = Bend, T = Tap
|---------------------------------------------|
|---------2^----------------------------------|
|--------------3------4p3-------------4---7---|
|---2h5p2----5-----------5p2-5/7---2h5------T-|
|--------------------------------0------3---3-|
|-0-----------------3-------------------------|
|
|---------------------4p3------------T----7---|
|---2h5p2-5p0h2----------5p2-5/7-----5------T-|
|---------------2-1--------------0-3----3---3-|

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-23, 00:05
sqol
Post-whore

Counterpoint is an art, not a science.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-04-23, 03:07
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
Counterpoint is an art, not a science.

What does this have to do with anything?

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-23, 07:43
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
If you're talking about this, this is not counterpoint....merely polyphony.

From tabcrawler
Riff 2
^ = Bend, T = Tap
|---------2^----------------------------------|
|--------------3------4p3-------------4---7---|
|---2h5p2----5-----------5p2-5/7---2h5------T-|
|--------------------------------0------3---3-|
|
|---------------------4p3------------T----7---|
|---2h5p2-5p0h2----------5p2-5/7-----5------T-|
|---------------2-1--------------0-3----3---3-|

Ah.

Old 2007-04-23, 16:02
powersofterror
Forum Leader

The dead give-away is the fact that there're parallel unisons.

This is my band's page

Old 2007-04-29, 11:57
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddist
Soloing over a chord progression is one form or another of counterpoint.

This is actually called homophony.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!