MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-04-06, 01:56
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Just tried an Orange Thunderverb

Well I just tried out an Orange Thunderverb. And I am going to say. It's not for everyone. I didn't like it too much personally. But here is my review

Power: It's 200 watts what do you think?
Sound: Channel A is more natural sounding tube distortion and gives you dials for your eq. Channel B only has 1 dial. It's bassicaly like a scooped sound and the dial allows you to either get more bass or not. It doesn't have a lot of variety in the sound (as it stated it would). Channel A sound like an old cranked Marshall and Channel B is more Randall sounding than anything.

But here is my problem. The low strings sound amazing, very basy, lots of power, crystal clear but the highs....tinny and almost no sustain on them. I think you have to crank this baby to get a good sound, but even when I turned the volume up the high strings sounded terrible. Like really thin. I think this amp is overpriced as well. It's an amp made for bottom end. It's not a solo amp IMO. Marshalls, Mesas, and even Peavey's sound better to me IMO.

Who would I recomend it too? DOOOM fans. I was playing Winter and Autopsy on it and it sounded great. It has an amazing power behind it (on the lower strings) so I would recomend it to people who only use the lower strings for their bands.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-04-06, 02:46
JOAMdude
Post-whore

what did sleep use for holy maountain btw

Old 2007-04-06, 02:59
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude

Not sure dude. 1970's-style Orange and Green Matamp amplification would be my guess. Sleep worrship those things.

Old 2007-04-06, 03:18
Soeru
Post-whore

They used Laney's on Holy Mountain apparently. The bassist was using Green(Matamp) heads.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-04-06, 08:44
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude

Laney protube lead. I dont think they had the AOR's because they were fairly sparing on the gain... and aor's haev that extra pretube for that extra punch in the face of gain.

man... when the fuck did doom get so popular... its guna be impossible for me to get a decent vintage doom amp for cheap now.

So casketcrusher, i take it that steves does have them in stock now. i'm guna try one out on saturday... im guna be in there anyway to pick up a cab, why not throw some fun around hahahah.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-04-06, 19:23
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
So casketcrusher, i take it that steves does have them in stock now. i'm guna try one out on saturday... im guna be in there anyway to pick up a cab, why not throw some fun around hahahah.

No No they still have it in stock. I think they are closed Saturday dude I read on the wall when I was talking to the guitar tech about Kahlers. They would be closed cause of the easter weekend.