MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-04-03, 23:40
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Abbath

how does he get that closed tight rasp while still retaining the raspiness of it (grit). it sounds boxy but at the same time smooth.

Old 2007-04-04, 00:44
JOAMdude
Post-whore

bump

Old 2007-04-04, 00:44
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

What exactly do you mean?

Old 2007-04-04, 01:22
JOAMdude
Post-whore

it is raspy but still sounds boxed and contained and not all over th e place

(pretty much a call for help on BM vox)

Old 2007-04-04, 19:36
JOAMdude
Post-whore

HELP ME DO BLACK METAL VOX!!!

Old 2007-04-04, 20:45
Transient
HES BAAACK

he uses some kind of voice effect. its particularly noticeable on bootlegs

Old 2007-04-04, 21:03
the_bleeding
Post-whore

he adds the effect to his funny way of vocalizaing. When he talks, you can hear it only very slightly add funny grit to it, but when he vocalizes, the gritty vox + the effect = the growlies.

satyricon does the same thing.

get a mic, get one of those mic-1/4" cable adapters, throw in whatever distortion box you have, and then put in another adapter, and then into your PA. Vocalize, activate effect, tweak, fuck with it, find a sweet crazy sound that makes you seem kvlt and gr1m.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-04-04, 22:04
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
he adds the effect to his funny way of vocalizaing. When he talks, you can hear it only very slightly add funny grit to it, but when he vocalizes, the gritty vox + the effect = the growlies.

satyricon does the same thing.

get a mic, get one of those mic-1/4" cable adapters, throw in whatever distortion box you have, and then put in another adapter, and then into your PA. Vocalize, activate effect, tweak, fuck with it, find a sweet crazy sound that makes you seem kvlt and gr1m.

gr1m

Old 2007-07-13, 04:23
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

i dont think he does use any effects exept an echo at times. i can sound execatly like his, if you can do the black dahlia highs these should be simple. with the BD highs you want to push harder, but with the abbath ones you dont push at all really just keep the same throat position and you should be able to do them to sound raspy as fuck. but for some reason when i do the raspyer abbath ones for a while and then i go to do the higher pitched ones it still sounds like the raspy kind...

Old 2007-07-17, 02:08
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

i have almost too much rasp to my highs.

and he definatly uses gain/distortion.

edit: almost all black metal bands use some form of distortion, tape effect, or echo.

makes them more kvlt gr1m ev1l.

Old 2007-07-18, 19:04
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

suspended, why do you want to argue with me? all you said is the opoosite of what i did, and thats it.....

if you cant sound like it without effects then you need to work on your techniqe. he doesnt use anything exept an echo at times, i can get mine as raspy as his and even raspier at times but that sounds like shit.

there was a video of a kid up here like a month or 2 ago doing a voice over of some immortal and i cant find it now, but he was real good. and he wasnt using a mic so it would show that its not an effect. im not positive it was immortal but it was the same vocal style. somebody know where this is?

Last edited by crustcorestenchhead9 : 2007-07-18 at 19:22.

Old 2007-07-18, 21:31
Unanything
Post-whore

If it's not an effect, it sounds pretty low-medium in dynamics.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-07-18, 21:45
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustcorestenchhead9
suspended, why do you want to argue with me? all you said is the opoosite of what i did, and thats it.....

if you cant sound like it without effects then you need to work on your techniqe. he doesnt use anything exept an echo at times, i can get mine as raspy as his and even raspier at times but that sounds like shit.

there was a video of a kid up here like a month or 2 ago doing a voice over of some immortal and i cant find it now, but he was real good. and he wasnt using a mic so it would show that its not an effect. im not positive it was immortal but it was the same vocal style. somebody know where this is?

I think you might be thinking of Bones98, but his vid was demonstrating his gutterals, not BM screams

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-07-19, 05:17
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
I think you might be thinking of Bones98, but his vid was demonstrating his gutterals, not BM screams

nah there was one of screams... it may have been on metal-archives though....

Old 2007-07-19, 19:02
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

let us not forget that abbath is an awesome vocalist and that it takes more than effects