MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-03-08, 11:20
Sepulturick
Metalhead
Banned

Suggestions for a decent beginners keyboard?

Hi, does anyone here know of a good, reasonbly piced keyboard for a beginner that sounds ok? I am thinking of learning to play the keyboard aswell as guitar. Thanks

Old 2007-03-08, 11:33
Soeru
Post-whore

No clue but I know you can search ebay and pick a midi keyboard for under 50$ these days, make sure your soundcard has a MIDI port.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-03-08, 14:22
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

korg triton

Old 2007-03-08, 15:40
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

First of all.....Price range? Digital Piano or Synth-type Keyboard (You just want a electric piano or a Keyboard with a shitload of tones and tonewheel and stuff?)

Old 2007-03-08, 15:40
the_bleeding
Post-whore

anything Casio... theyre fukcin cheap, but they are perfecto for circuit bending if you're into that.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-03-08, 16:39
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietime
korg triton

I'm not sure which one you're talking about but i've looked at those and they're like 3000+ dollars ha. And sound fucking amazing.

I bought a Yamaha one for like 300 bucks. Its 70 somethin keys. I think it works pretty damn well for the price.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2007-03-08, 17:19
Sepulturick
Metalhead
Banned

I need just a simple electronic synthesizer type keyboard with full sized keys and an acceptable sound. nothing fancy. low price

Old 2007-03-08, 20:51
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Okay......what is low price?? $200? $300? $400? Name an amount. You're normally not gonna get full sized keys on synths, especially at cheap prices. Full sized, weighted keys are usually only on digital pianos.

Old 2007-03-08, 22:47
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
Okay......what is low price?? $200? $300? $400? Name an amount. You're normally not gonna get full sized keys on synths, especially at cheap prices. Full sized, weighted keys are usually only on digital pianos.

Not to mention most synth keyboards have tiny keys.
Although if you're looking for a KEYBOARD you'll have full sized keys and like silent night said that if you pay more money you can get weighted keys. Which are ok if you're going for realisticness.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2007-03-08, 23:12
Zombietime
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
I'm not sure which one you're talking about but i've looked at those and they're like 3000+ dollars ha. And sound fucking amazing.

I bought a Yamaha one for like 300 bucks. Its 70 somethin keys. I think it works pretty damn well for the price.

I was just joking but yah i'd love to have one of those. They are $$$ for sure.

Old 2007-03-09, 01:39
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I'd like to get more details so we know what you want to use it for, etc. I have a Casio PX110 which is an excellent $450-$500 digital piano. I hook it up to my mac via a MIDI to USB converter, and then I can get even more variety of tones on Garageband, by using the keyboard as a midi controller.

Old 2007-03-09, 12:51
Sepulturick
Metalhead
Banned

well i was thinking of spending no more than £100 second hand if i can help it. full size and weighted would be ideal if possible for that price. Touch sensitive keys would be great aswell. I would like to learn classical piano type stuff but one day i would love to play keyboard in a metal or at least write metal songs using a keyboard as well as guitar.

For now though the keyboard would be mosty used for bedroom practice and for recording onto my laptop using my shure sm57 mic. Thanks

Old 2007-03-09, 14:47
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Well I don't think you're gonna get any fullsized weighted keys at that price. Brand new ones with that spec cost around $400, and so it'd be hard even to find it used.

Old 2007-03-09, 18:02
Sepulturick
Metalhead
Banned

full size will have to do then. nevermind full weighted.

Old 2007-03-09, 20:59
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulturick
well i was thinking of spending no more than £100 second hand if i can help it. full size and weighted would be ideal if possible for that price. Touch sensitive keys would be great aswell. I would like to learn classical piano type stuff but one day i would love to play keyboard in a metal or at least write metal songs using a keyboard as well as guitar.

For now though the keyboard would be mosty used for bedroom practice and for recording onto my laptop using my shure sm57 mic. Thanks

Check out the Yamaha PSRE303. Maybe you can find one used for around your price range. I've got one and it's great, just doesn't have that pitch-bending wheel thing.