MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2002-10-17, 05:45
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

playing and singing for guitar

well, for my band the line up kept changing and now its preety set that im gonna be the vocalist/guitarist, which is why i need help...............

ive been practicing trying to do both, but it is hard. it is like tapping your head and rubbing your stomach. i know that even the best guitarists have to look at their guitar when they play.

right now im just trying to do both while looking in a mirror.........

any tips?

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-10-17, 11:15
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Practice. (seems i say that in every thread in this forum.....i wonder why )

I'd say practice your guitar alone, get very good and comfortable with it.....enough that you don't have to look at it. Then slowly add in singing to the equation.

I can sing while playing some of my covers of Death. It just came out of nowhere one day......i've been trying to do both together for a long time and it never worked, then suddenly about a month i'm almost able to do it without freaking out.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.

Old 2002-10-17, 13:33
mrweijia
Post-whore

what i think most bands do, is that when there's singing, its really simple 1 position picking. then as soon as the singing stops you can do what you want.

Old 2002-10-17, 15:15
º¿º
Metalhead

yea seriously....most people i see have really easy strums while they sing...like 3 power cords in a certain order......i havent seen people play tough shit while singing...

also id say it would be good to keep your own guitar and never buy a new one so you can memorize where the frets and strings are...and if you got a new one it would only fuck you up

Old 2002-10-17, 15:42
metal=life
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by º¿º
also id say it would be good to keep your own guitar and never buy a new one so you can memorize where the frets and strings are...and if you got a new one it would only fuck you up

no it wont.....

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2002-10-17, 15:52
º¿º
Metalhead

hmmm sizes....neck width... umm think again buddy...i just got a bc warlock and the neck seems a lot thinner than my ibanez...and easier to play

(memnoch) I edited your fucking post you little cunt bag. This isn't your personal little grade 9 class where you can pick on people and say whatever the fuck you want. This is the second time i edit your post for being a stupid incomprehensive moron......you edit this again to add your fuck-ass comment towards weijia again and i'm deleting it.

Last edited by memnoch : 2002-10-19 at 06:44.

Old 2002-10-17, 18:13
mrweijia
Post-whore

dude, it doesnt matter. if he does get a new guitar, he'll get ued to it. as for the topic, try playing first with yoeyes closed so you get a "feel" for the playing. and then try singing

Old 2002-10-17, 18:37
º¿º
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by mrweijjia
try playing first with yoeyes closed so you get a "feel" for the playing. and then try singing

i agree

Old 2002-10-17, 18:39
º¿º
Metalhead

but i do have to say it felt alot different between my ibanez and bc guitar..... for 1 thing my warlock is 1/2 the weight that my ibanez was and it felt differnt to play

Old 2002-10-17, 20:16
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

i dont look at my hands, its hard to do that anyway
headbanging long hair, covering your eyes and jumping around
its not that easy to see your fingers. so practice with your
eyes closed or with the lights off, then try singing with it
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2002-10-17, 20:36
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I can play lots of stuff with my eyes closed, because I have to sing and sometimes do some backing vocals in my own band.
It's pretty weird but you kinda develope another sense for it, if you do it a lot you can do it automatically, not the really technical shit, but further than 3 powerchords.

I don't care what bass I play, I can do it on both my basses, I have a 4 string and a 5 string but there's hardly no diffrence in playing with your eyes closed and diffrent guitars if you ask me..

Old 2002-10-17, 21:15
Ivanhoe
New Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by º¿º
i havent seen people play tough shit while singing...

Watch some Emperor

Old 2002-10-17, 22:00
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by º¿º
yea seriously....most people i see have really easy strums while they sing...like 3 power cords in a certain order......i havent seen people play tough shit while singing...

You obviously haven't seen or at least even heard the majority of today's death metal bands.

My prime example, DEATH.

Old 2002-10-17, 23:02
º¿º
Metalhead

heh...obviously not....the real skilled ones are the ones u dont see on mtv...the ones u dont usually SEE...so im just sayin from my experience...but just im puttin ideas in his head....like to start off singing with easier strums...work his way up to DEATH's lvl when he's ready

Old 2002-10-18, 03:28
PantericA
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by º¿º

what the fuck are you on? it doesn't take long to get used to a new guitar. i just got a new guitar about a month ago, and within about 30min. of playing on it, i was fucking tearing the fret board to peices. so there you go, living, breathing proof of, well i don't know, ................maybe just a hell of a better guitar player than you!

Old 2002-10-18, 06:40
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by PantericA
................maybe just a hell of a better guitar player than you!

I agree

Old 2002-10-18, 15:16
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by º¿º
hmmm sizes....neck width... umm think again buddy...i just got a bc warlock and the neck seems a lot thinner than my ibanez...and easier to play

I will do us all a favor and shut the fuck up

º¿º, just go away, you dont know what your talking about, a new guitar wouldnt be that different, if someone cant get used to a new guitar, than they have a lot more things to practice before they can even try to play and sing.........

go away dingus.......................

anyway, you know what seems real hard, is when people play different chords that use 5-6 strings, and have to sing too........

i just saw John Mayer play guitar and sing on a TV show, god his music sucks so much dick, but he is a pretty good guitarist.........he was singing and playing 5-6 string chords pretty quickly, and he almost never looked at his guitar..........

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-10-18, 16:42
º¿º
Metalhead

penis.....shut the fuck up....

plus ur name is gay...we dont need to know what u got down ur throat

and also....so what if im a bit new......ive been around guitars for 2 years but only been serious for a few months.......but i really have to correct myself on what i said....

i realized some guitars arent much different....but i found my warlock to be waaaaaaaaaay different than my ibanez...and i hadn't had experience getting used to guitars.....so basically if you are gonna make a drastic change id bring my old guitar to the store with me to compare them ( just my opinion) and it may have taken me a while it may not take you though...its only my opinion and i'd just try to avoid the drastic changes of newer guitars...

Old 2002-10-18, 18:12
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

dudes, stop your endless whining and stop bitching at each other, or else SOMEONE is gonna get it and I think I know who it'll be.

Old 2002-10-19, 02:31
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

º¿º, i didnt edit your quote, a mod must have....... its funny to see how someone like you cant even handle a forum on a social level. what is the point to make all the insults, ITS A FORUM!

º¿º, i can just picture you, living in your mom's basement, living off of Pepsi and potato chips, just sitting in forums and chat rooms all day, thinking that your opinion in a forum is more important than a presidential order, with no job, no friends, and no life. and also not seeing natural light for about 3 years

like i have said before, my forum name is Gigantic Penis, but i act a hell of a lot more mature than you............

you should just go away, its getting really sad.........

º¿º, the point is, nobody likes you, and you should just go away...........

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-10-19, 06:24
Lord Malphas

Quote:
Originally posted by Gigantic Penis
º¿º, i didnt edit your quote, a mod must have....... its funny to see how someone like you cant even handle a forum on a social level. what is the point to make all the insults, ITS A FORUM!

º¿º, i can just picture you, living in your mom's basement, living off of Pepsi and potato chips, just sitting in forums and chat rooms all day, thinking that your opinion in a forum is more important than a presidential order, with no job, no friends, and no life. and also not seeing natural light for about 3 years

like i have said before, my forum name is Gigantic Penis, but i act a hell of a lot more mature than you............

you should just go away, its getting really sad.........

º¿º, the point is, nobody likes you, and you should just go away...........

yeah I agree with you ...this guy is an idiot

Old 2002-10-19, 06:48
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

º¿º, your fucking immaturity level has pushed me to the point of closing this thread.

Don't get all offensive towards others especially in the guitar forum......cause if you do, I will take it personal and fuck you up. Now please be mature (although i know it can be hard at 15) and shut the fuck up.