Old 2007-02-19, 11:34
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Coldworker - The Contaminated Void

Coldworker - The Contaminated Void
Relapse

file under Death metal

Menno: Coldworker… Is it a zookeeper for polar bears, or an Alaskan shrimp-fisher? It could be a half-dressed manwhore selling his ass behind the train station in the cold night or it might even be an ice cube producer? What a ridiculous band name. Coldworker, say it out loud; cold-worker. I really haven't got a clue how they came up with it. Anyway, lets talk business, because these shrimp-fishers exist for only half a year and already released a new record and managed to get a signing at the always impressing Relapse label (they released Anal Cunt CDs, remember?). A good enough reason to give 'The Contaminated Void' a listen.

Coldworker (hehehe) was founded by Anders Jakobson from the one and only Nasum grinders. I have to say that this band might as well have been founded by Horst Vonberg because Nasum is nowhere to be heard on this album. Nevertheless, it's a nice fact to mention in your bio. The record has a length of almost 40 minutes and it any more minutes would take away your interest. The modern death metal is not to complex and can be understood immediately. It's bashing and slaying with its heavy bass and guitars, it has some slower parts, though vocals (which seldom varies, something I hate), a little solo here and there and a production you've heard a zillion times before; fat and clear, just not rough enough.

Not bad at all, but these manwhores just lack originality; it's almost getting boring. The track 'Return to Ashes' (over four minutes) is a typical example of this; it just never seems to end. Therefore I thank the guys for adding a couple of two minute, blastbeating grinders. They make sure the record is a bit more flowing to listen to. Good examples are 'Death Smiles at Me' and 'Antidote'. In my eyes, these tracks save the album, which has artwork from the guy who did some work for Slayer (which isn't a guarantee, for even the artwork is mediocre)

I can't say I'm desperately waiting for a world tour or an extensive discography from these Swedish snowmen. Of course I wish them all the best and I hope they'll get a break-through. All the fans of modern death metal or people who want everything that can be connected with Nasum can buy this record without any for of doubt.

Rating: 70/100 (details)

http://www.coldworker.com