MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2002-10-14, 22:51
xDarkestHourx
Senior Metalhead

Bass with the most individual strings I've ever seen

The longest octave range bass I've ever see I dunno if any of you guys have ever heard Element of Surprise, but this guy can damn play. I just thought some of you might find that bass interesting.

Damnit, Walpurgis, if you just want to delete this post then it's fine. I didn't see your reply in the other post that said "Put all check this out bass stuff here"...so yeah, I fucked up, sorry.

Cheers,
xx

Last edited by xDarkestHourx : 2002-10-14 at 22:58.

Old 2002-10-15, 01:12
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

If you didn't see it, then how did you know about it?

Nah, it's alright, I'm feeling lazy, so it can stay here. It doesn't bother me, it's just that there were times when there were like 8 threads with 2 replies in them about different basses. I was just trying to keep things organized.

Heh, that thing looks like it'd be fun to play.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-10-15, 09:52
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

yeah, fun to play but it also looks heavy as fuck haha

how many strings are on that motherfucker? twelve or something?

I don't know that band actually.

hey darkest hour dude, are you into sXe?

Old 2002-10-15, 17:09
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

theres that same picture in the unique and interesting thread, or some other thread in the bass forum,but yeah i know that is one huge thing, must be hard to put your hand around it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2002-10-16, 00:44
xDarkestHourx
Senior Metalhead

there are 9 on that one, I believe. and to answer your other question, yeah I'm an sXe guy. But the non-militant kind who believes in people's choice to choose what they put into their bodies and who can't stand Hate-edges or Jock Straightedges who wear their sport endorsed Nike shoes, sweatbands, have fat bald heads and try to dominate pits. I'm more into the Eighteen Visions, DS-13, American Nightmare side of sXe than the other stuff.

Old 2002-10-16, 18:13
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Ah, cool, I'm from the netherlands, the straight edge scene is verry much alive here and in germany,
Yesterday we had a gig in 'Leeuwarden' and there where lots of cool straight edge guys, I'm not a straight edger myself but they are really kind people to talk to.

Do you know Heaven Shall Burn, Caliban, Converge, xThrowdownx, xDiscipleA.D.x etc?
I love those bands!!

Old 2002-10-17, 16:29
xDarkestHourx
Senior Metalhead

I've heard all of them but Caliban (which I have heard of, just not heard the music) and they're all bad as shit. "Jane Doe" from Converge is easily one of the greatest CDs I've ever heard. There's a band over in the UK that's pretty good, xCANAANx. Also you mentioned Throwdown, those bastards are gettin pretty damn big here. Third to last show I was at there were like 6 different Throwdown shirts in the room, it was great. Glassjaw and Carry On are great, too. It's good to see someone else into hardcore here besides me, heh.

Cheers,
xx

Old 2002-10-17, 19:03
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Yeah man that's pretty cool, I think we're about the only ones here, well, your the only sXe guy here, that's for sure.

Try Caliban, they rule, if you can, try Shockwave and Caliban cd's, Caliban was my greatest discovery ever
German band, sXe and seen them twice, they absolutely kick ass, it's my ALL-time favorite band.

xCanaanx, I don't know them.. well, probably you also know xMaroonx and all those bands, maroon is pretty nice, actually.

do you also play bass? it's nice to get in contact with younger bands, maybe we can do a tour sometime man

Old 2002-10-18, 21:38
xDarkestHourx
Senior Metalhead

heh, yeah I do play bass. All the hardcore stuff I have written is kind of on hiatus right now because I can't find a sufficient drummer to play with the stuff I've got down. The only band I'm in right now is "Dark Minions Of The Underworld", a joke-heavy metal band with songs like "Baby In A Bucket", "The Coffinmaker", and "I've got an itch on my wrist only a razor can scratch"...stuff we find hilarious but most others probably don't, heh. If you want a good Idea of all the fucked up stuff I've done 3 of the songs I've done by myself or with friends are on there. Sounds For The Deaf . There's a Motown classic we butchered, a song about my friend's brother's chronic masterbation problem, and a real fucked up one we did with a drum machine, an FX board to run our guitar and bass through, with my cat on vocals. Plus I live in the USA so it might be just a weee bit hard to get a tour in Europe, heh.

Old 2002-10-18, 23:06
mrweijia
Post-whore

wow

Old 2002-10-19, 15:46
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

hey cool man, I'll download it when I'm at school (fast connection)
ah well, I bet we can get a tour going :P

just get really big there, or we'll get big and tour america?
shame about the drummer, but it's always a problem to get the right people together, I'm just one lucky bastard.

Old 2003-02-21, 18:47
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

I'm probably an ignorant idot for asking this but I'm very confused.
What is strait edge? Is it hardcore? And does sXe stand for strait edge? I don't know any of the bands mentionned in this thread and this is strange because I usually know about half of the bands mentionned in conversations.

Old 2003-02-25, 01:45
xDarkestHourx
Senior Metalhead

Straghtedge is, in it's loosest terms, defined as being someone who doesn't smoke, drink, do drugs, or have promiscuous sex. I take it a bit further and try to abstain from OTC medicine when I can. sXe started out as a hardcore punk thing in the 80's via Minor Threat but there are some straightedge guys like me who're more into grind/extreme metal. To be honest, a lot of sXe (stands for straightedge) music kinda blows because it gets too preachy/tuff-guy. Also, if you've ever seen a kid at a show with X's on his hands, that's kind of our mark. Kind of like corpse painting is to black metal kids, except we don't look like stupid fucks. Hope that covered everything for you.

Cheers,
xx

Old 2003-02-25, 01:58
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

I'm not going to get rid of the above posts, but try to sway it back towards the topic's intent guys.

Thanks.

Quote:
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2003-02-25, 02:14
Mofoism
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by *Def-Fx*
Ah, cool, I'm from the netherlands, the straight edge scene is verry much alive here and in germany,
Yesterday we had a gig in 'Leeuwarden' and there where lots of cool straight edge guys, I'm not a straight edger myself but they are really kind people to talk to.

Do you know Heaven Shall Burn, Caliban, Converge, xThrowdownx, xDiscipleA.D.x etc?
I love those bands!!

i also enjoy bands such as that

converge!!

thats one huge ass bass, i'd love to get a hold of one.. if i cant paly it, i can break things with it !

Old 2003-02-25, 17:01
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by xDarkestHourx
Straghtedge is, in it's loosest terms, defined as being someone who doesn't smoke, drink, do drugs, or have promiscuous sex. I take it a bit further and try to abstain from OTC medicine when I can. sXe started out as a hardcore punk thing in the 80's via Minor Threat but there are some straightedge guys like me who're more into grind/extreme metal. To be honest, a lot of sXe (stands for straightedge) music kinda blows because it gets too preachy/tuff-guy. Also, if you've ever seen a kid at a show with X's on his hands, that's kind of our mark. Kind of like corpse painting is to black metal kids, except we don't look like stupid fucks. Hope that covered everything for you.

Cheers,
xx

I guess this makes me a strait edge person (except I listen to all kinds of music). What is OTC medicine?

Old 2003-02-25, 17:20
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

OTC = "Over-the-Counter"

Non-prescription medicines and pills.

Quote:

Old 2003-03-03, 14:19
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattlehead
I guess this makes me a strait edge person (except I listen to all kinds of music). What is OTC medicine?

This is very odd ... I avoid that too ...

Old 2003-03-03, 17:28
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Back on topic, people.

Quote:

Old 2003-03-08, 07:34
andras
Senior Metalhead

a 9 string bass.

why? i have no problems with expressing myself with 4 or 5 strings.

does this guy do anything with the other 4 or so? and whats the tuning?

Old 2003-03-08, 10:05
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

9 string would be great for creating melodic strummy sort of songs, (strummed with fingers not pick to show respect lol) but yeah the width of the fretboard would be too big for my hands

Quote:

Old 2003-04-06, 03:08
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

I've seen a twelve string Jackson, as well as a customised, (but shitty) 16 string
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind

Old 2003-04-06, 10:09
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

that thing has 32 frets!!! woah!!! get me naked!!!

Quote:

Old 2003-06-26, 05:37
RottingSwill138
Senior Metalhead

MAN seems a bit overexecive

What have you accomplished compared to what you have done?

-Greif

Bands to Listen to:

Disrupt,Children Of Bodom,Gorelord,Vile,Brujeria,Carcass,Arch Enemy,Carpathian Forest,Dissection,FleshGrind,God Dethroned,Kalmah,PFP XIII,suffocation,Hate Eternal,Berzerkers,Slayer,Grief,Judas Preist,Danzig,Black Sabbath,Fleas and Lice,Carnal Grief,Fuck the facts ,immolation,Agoraphobic Nose bleed,Deeds of Flesh,Spawn of Posseion,Nile,Skinless,Cephalic Carnage,Fuck..............I'm Dead,At the Gates,Skit System,Cripple Bastards,Phobia,The Crown,Napalm Death,cryptopsy,Deicide,Disgorge,Exhumed,Flesh Grinder,Lord Gore,Mortal Decay,Severed Savior,SOD,Sodom,Structure of Lies,Disgust,Gorgoroth,GWAR!!!!!!

Old 2003-06-27, 03:36
x2xAtreyux2x
Senior Metalhead

9 strings, yawn. I've seen some 12 string basses

Old 2003-06-27, 17:24
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

I've seen a picture of a 15 string bass on the internet...i don't really know how you would go about playing one though..

Or buying new strings for that matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2003-06-28, 06:29
jesus christ
Metalhead

its a 9 string conklin.
jaco only nedded 4 strings.
nuff said.

Old 2003-06-28, 14:09
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

pfff, this is not about how many strings someone needs, its about the basses, you fuck.

Jaco is okay, but he's not THAT great I mean, come on, mark king could probably beat his ass, Jaco is overrated.

Old 2003-06-28, 15:52
jesus christ
Metalhead

ahh your name is def and for good reason!!!!!!! you need to clean out the shit between your ears!!!!!! youre right its not about how many strings someone needs,i was simply saying it has 9 strings, you fuck.
you say jaco is ok and over rated. this tells me you know nothing about music and you know nothing about the bass.
def ,you have now proved that you are truely def and dumb!!!!!
now go fuck off!!

Old 2003-06-28, 19:22
artofnothing6
Supreme Metalhead

dude, you have 15 posts, and already everyone hates you. And how can you tell someone who's been here long than you to go fuck off.

Old 2003-06-28, 20:22
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I'm laughin really hard at you now jezus, you see, laughin! haha,come on 'weather report' what the fuck, it's sure as hell is overrated, sure, jaco is great, but he definetly ain't the best!

if theres anybody thats gonna fuck off, it's gonna be you

haha

now quit wasting threads and go fuck your mom, maybe you're good for something after all!

Old 2003-06-29, 00:48
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

It's the same with Jimi Hendrix.
We all know he's quite good. We all respect him for what he did.
But still we can say, he isn't the best. That's the way why we can say Jaco isn't the best. And he isn't the best.
He did something revolutionary, OK. But there are nowadays enough bass-players who can beat him in any way. There were several better bass-players before him and who notices them?
Even Jaco be a poor guy at a six or whatever string.
Jaco is so exclucive because he bacame popular and he made the "first" fretless.

You can't say he's the best.
And you can't degrade all the really good guys on the bass, just because Jaco was the first. Did you hear something of "progression"? Or do you belive still in the planet-system of Kopernikus? (Hope, you did hear of him.)

Old 2003-06-29, 16:00
jesus christ
Metalhead

of course everybody hates me.........i am jesus fucking christ and this is a death metal site!! and def i will agree that weather report is cheezy at times but do i really have to fuck my mom AGAIN? you cant help but reply to my dumb ass threads cause everybody hates me but at the same time they find me entertaining too. i am jesus christ and i am g.g.allin. i will shit on you.
now stop being such an ass!!!!
i bet you think wooten sucks too dont you. well,you suck and you are an idiot!!!!!!
but remember this....jesus loves you(i am now accepting cash donations)
may a priest molest you.

Old 2003-06-29, 21:01
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Nah, victor wooten is master of the slap, but mark king does a mean slap too....

I'm not retarded when it comes to bass, I teach it, you fuck

but yeah, I bet your mom enjoys it, anyways, I'll be waiting for the priest now, god bless.

Old 2003-06-30, 03:03
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Thanks to this jesus wannabe for ruining this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2003-06-30, 16:46
jesus christ
Metalhead

you guys have no love for jesus.

they all love me over on the gospel forum.

ps-conklin basses suck.(at least the guitar center ones do)
i bet they have a kick ass custom shop though.

Old 2003-06-30, 18:49
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

well looky there, jezus plays bass. hah.

I played a 7 string conklin and it sucked goat chode, I don't like the looks of their customs though, plus I would want a 7 string, I'de rather have a nice Alembic

Old 2003-06-30, 20:56
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Never heard of conklin.
So i visited their site.
Some of the guitars and basses look nice.
And some of them have a really weird fretboard.

Old 2003-06-30, 21:11
jesus christ
Metalhead

well def we finally have something in common! we both love alembic. i will admit you have good taste in basses.
i play a 5 string alembic utopia(im pretty shure this is the model,ive never seen one like it.) and i used to have a 4 string 84 distilete.
i would love a ken smith 6 string burner or a carl thompson or a fodera.
go to alembics website and worship the custom shop photo gallery where there are some basses that went for.........get this......$20.00-30,00!!!!!!
i would love a 6 string rogue.

Old 2003-07-01, 17:41
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

yeah, I've seen the alembic custom shop, they make the worlds most incredible basses, 'kinda' expensive though

I dunno the utopia, I played a Orion mark king custom once in a shop, it rocked, but damn... that fucking pricetag

Ken Smiths, I dunno, never played them, CT's aren't my thing, I hate their design, Fodera's are the shit though, same goes for Sadowsky's. not exactly your budget priced basses though.

alembics are hard to get hold of here though, I only saw one in a store once and the the guy who ran the store was the owner, eh, its probably because of the pricetag.
Mark King plays some of their mean customs on his DVD, crazy shit, I'de love to own an Alembic.

Old 2003-07-01, 19:05
jesus christ
Metalhead

yes they are pricey(mine was $4,700 new) but worth the investment.
i would tell every bassist to save up and get one or die.
foderas are pricey as shit too but badass as well.
never played a sadowsky. they look nice as hell.

did that priest ever show up to blo you def?

Old 2003-07-01, 19:40
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Nah, I'm still waiting for him dammit, tell him to hurry the fuck up

fodera's are cool as, plus they look amazing, Sadowsky's are like super fenders,

here's the Sadowsky Miller uses,
http://www.bassmatters.nl/imgass/sadowskymiller.gif

anyways, it's 3900 USD, a fender marcus miller signature is probably cheaper (but this one beats it by far...)

a lot of those special bassbrands are cool, Lull, Celinder, Zon's... but Fodera and Alembic do really stand out, Alembics are the shit, I probably will never be able to afford it though, plus I'm an instrument basher. I'm building a custom now, SR style body with EMG's, schaller tuners and a ABM 3d bridge.

4.700, jezus, I would buy a new car for that. haha maybe I can sell my rig and buy an Alembic. got a pic of it? I never saw an Utopia model

Old 2003-07-02, 00:04
jesus christ
Metalhead

i have always wanted a zon or a modulus but can never find them locally.
i would love to post a pic but jesus is a dipshit and dont know how to do it.
when it comes to rigs(yes here i go again!) everything sucks except for david eden(swr rocks too)one bass that everyone seems to like and i think are shit are music man basses. i would rather spend the money on a g&l 2000.
if we want to talk upright thats a different game.
that sadowsky is sweet! like you said a fender on steroids. if i had a jazz bass i would put bartolinis in it.
christian mcbride is the shit!
def-you might want to start fluffing yourself so you will be ready for the reverand
now go fuck off!!!!

Old 2003-07-02, 08:00
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

yeah, G&L's are ok, but I don't think they've got an own personality when it comes to sound, you know? Musicmans are ok for their slaptones, but if you play them with a pick they'll turn into no-tone-wonders. I got bartolini's in my limited edition SR though

David Eden's are good, the traveller series are pretty awsome, I really loved the tone of the Ampeg CVT 350 though.(its the SVT only all tube)

as for amps, well germans make good amps, thats why I tried about all the amps they made, I finally went for a Hughes & Kettner bassbase 400w tube, with a 4x10 and a 2x15. cost me a sweet dime, but it blows away Trace Elliots and Laneys. (ok, its twice as expensive heh, but hey.) I played some Mesa roundabouts and the 300+, I didn't like them, overdose of muddy tone in the med frequencies...
SWR does make some nice rigs, but the combos are shit, all of them, plus they're overpriced. when it comes to bass amps, anything beats Peaveys though, I played the top of the line peaveys and they still sucked (lots of watts, no tone.)

anyways, my H&K is their top of the line model too, it shows H&K can produce descent stuff, here's a pic of the new model,
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/s...te/Bbfullst.jpg

mine is the same except the grille's on the cabs are black and I've got a korg DTR tuner in my rack unit.

H&K has been known for their warp 7 nu metal amp, something they've got started a while ago, I like the sound of the Triamp amps though... as for bass amps, they've got a long reputation, I bought mine about 3 (?) years ago, but its doing fine, its been transported a lot, and its still running like it should, I only replaced a tube once.