MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-12-30, 23:12
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

I truly hate to say it but sixsicsix was right

the esp b55 i got for christmas sucked! I traded it in for a 2003 peavey fury 5 string with active soapbars.Ive played this one and love it! I am never gonna order a bass without playing again! So i guess you guys were right just dont be fuckin arrogant!

Last edited by aFarewelltoKings : 2007-01-05 at 00:07.

Old 2006-12-31, 01:54
Requiem
Post-whore

cool

Old 2006-12-31, 05:31
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Arrogant is not a verb my friend
congrats on the new bass

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-12-31, 07:31
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Hahah. Well its a verb today! Good trade I reckon, Peavey basses are pretty decent.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-01-04, 03:39
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

Sixsicsix, won't you join me in saying this?

I TOLD YOU SO!

Old 2007-01-04, 22:24
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Nah, I dont feel like "arroganting" right now........

Old 2007-01-05, 00:06
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

yeah you guys were right and i have already admitted it. dont let your dick swell up cassius

Old 2007-01-05, 15:56
h4x5k8
Post-whore

haha aFtK your sig, did dave actually say that? If so that clears up some confusment on why he voted for bush in '04.

"Just cause I beleive in God and Jesus,and just cause im a Christian that does not make me a pussy"
-Dave Mustaine

No... it just makes you retarded.

Old 2007-01-05, 21:22
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x5k8
haha aFtK your sig, did dave actually say that? If so that clears up some confusment on why he voted for bush in '04.

"Just cause I beleive in God and Jesus,and just cause im a Christian that does not make me a pussy"
-Dave Mustaine

No... it just makes you retarded.
Just because there are many Christians (in America) that are deluded fanatics it does not follow that all Christians are morons. Although I disagree with most practitioners and followers of the religion, I feel that the religion itself has nothing wrong with it. The problem is Christians, not Christianity. From an intellectual standpoint, the existence of a God can be neither proved nor refuted, and thus it is possible to find many people who are both intelligent and religious.
So regarding Mustaine, if you're going to call him retarded for voting for Bush, call him retarded for voting for Bush, not for being a Christian.
I know this is a bass thread and I'm way off topic, but I find that religion, especially this religion, gets alot of unnecessary flack.

Anyway, to at least try to stay on topic:
Isn't this bass well above the price limit that you were talking about when you were asking us about which bass to get originally?
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2007-01-05, 21:42
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

Im a Christian and agree 100% with what you said Rattlehead.

Yeah the peavey was 300 used so my moms gonna help out a lil

Old 2007-01-07, 05:32
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
Just because there are many Christians (in America) that are deluded fanatics it does not follow that all Christians are morons. Although I disagree with most practitioners and followers of the religion, I feel that the religion itself has nothing wrong with it. The problem is Christians, not Christianity. From an intellectual standpoint, the existence of a God can be neither proved nor refuted, and thus it is possible to find many people who are both intelligent and religious.
So regarding Mustaine, if you're going to call him retarded for voting for Bush, call him retarded for voting for Bush, not for being a Christian.
I know this is a bass thread and I'm way off topic, but I find that religion, especially this religion, gets alot of unnecessary flack.

Anyway, to at least try to stay on topic:
Isn't this bass well above the price limit that you were talking about when you were asking us about which bass to get originally?

Even though its still way off topic, just wanted to say I agree 110%. Its pretty much summed up in a bumper sticker I saw once. "God, please save me from your fans!"
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-01-07, 16:20
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Even though its still way off topic, just wanted to say I agree 110%. Its pretty much summed up in a bumper sticker I saw once. "God, please save me from your fans!"
That's a good one. Here's my favourite quote on this topic:
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

-Mahatma Ghandi

I didn't know if this was worth a new thread so I'll ask here:
I've been trying to sell my B.C. Rich Warlock (Platinum Series) for over 2 years now, and I've finally found someone that's at least somewhat interested. How much should I sell it for?
Now before you go and tell me that it would be a crime to charge any money for such a monstrosity, let me say that what you're going to say doesn't go far enough, rather I should pay the person for taking the thing off of my hands! (ie I know it sucks, why do you think I'm trying to sell it )

When I bought it it was priced at 450 US dollars (well it was 530$ Canadian, and with the exchange rate that prevailed when I bought it it probably would have converted to 425$ US - at any rate I didn't pay this all because I had traded for another bass but that's the price they would have charged a regular customer). This was a used bass (quite expensive for what you get I now realize).
There are a few things I've noticed that are "wrong" with the bass, and since I sort of know the person I might sell to, I will make sure to show him this when he comes to look at the bass. First, the volume knob is loose. This is simply due to a poor gluing job, luckily the electronics work perfect. I actually opened up the bass and shoved a pencil in such a way that the volume knob stays put. You'd never notice it unless you opened the bass and found a piece of pencil in there lol. Second, the bass has the typical (and chronic) "loose input jack" problem that occurs on all basses that are too cheap to spend the extra $1 to have a lock nut installed so the thing doesn't get loose. No matter how many times you tighten it it always becomes loose in a few months ... and every year or so you have to open the thing up and untwist the wires because of all the turning you did. The third and most important flaw with this bass is the pickups. Apart from being of shitty quality generally (I mean come on, B.C. Rich pickups?), one of them isn't even working at full capacity. Both the neck and bridge are "split single coil" pick ups (ie each pickup has one bar for the E and A strings and a second bar for the G and D strings). But on the bridge pick up, the G and D string pickup up "bar" (I obviously don't know my gear very well - hopefully you know what word I should have used here) works about half as loud as the lower string one, so if you play with only bridge pick ups, you're higher strings will be very silent compared to the E and A. I don't even want to know why this happens. If it was a wiring problem, you would expect it not to work, but instead its half volume ... who knows why?

Apart from all of that the bass is pretty fine. I've set it up with fairly high action, but it still plays well with no fret buzz and nearly perfect intonation.

From the B.C. Rich website:
Features
~ Agathis body
~ Maple Neck
~ Bolt-On Construction
~ Rosewood Fingerboard
~ Widow Headstock
~ 34" Scale
~ 24 Jumbo Frets
~ Dot Inlays
~ Chrome Hardware
~ Sealed Diecast BCR Tuners
~ Two Split-Coil Pickups
~ Adjustable Bridge
There is also a photo for those of you that don't know what bass I'm talking about (its the second picture):
http://www.bcrich.com/basses/warlockshape.asp

So, given all the problems I've mentioned, I'm thinking 170 USD (200 canadian). What would you all recommend?
Of course all the problems with the bass were like that when I bought the thing, the only reason they could sell it for so much (I think) is because naive idiots like myself who had been playing for about one year at the time couldn't tell the difference between a bass and a boat oar (I just love calling this bass an oar).
Also, can you just step into a guitar store and ask them how much they'd give you for a guitar and then not actually sell them the thing, or do they charge you for a quote? I wonder what they would offer, especially since I wouldn't mention to them all the stuff they didn't mention to me when I bought the thing .... and since on the outside it looks fine.

Also I know I'm going on one of my "essay length" posts here but I'm thinking of getting a bass that would complement my current bass - an Ibanez Soundgear SR905 (the 5 at the end indicates 5 strings). Although this is an excellent bass and I would highly recommend it, its good for smooth sounding lines and has good tone but I want something that can get a real "mean" sound, something more suitable for metal. In particular, I find the bass doesn't have a very good sound when it comes to notes below G, especially on the really low notes of the B string. When you play fast stuff on the B, its hard to hear what's going on on this bass.
I'm really amazed by the variety of sounds different basses have, and I have no idea how to achieve different sounds. For example, John Myung's sound on Ytse Jam blows me away. He's not mixed in too loud or anything but you can still hear every note he hits perfectly.
Or maybe I should be looking into pedals? I have no clue here. I've never even used a bass pedal, only fooled around with guitar ones a few times.

Ok, ok, I'll shut up.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2007-01-07, 20:42
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

well all the shops around quote for free so yeah try that.Also those basses get a bad rap sure they arent great but hey they are better than Rogue and Dean.Id ask about 300 for that.Also Does anyone know any remedies for the loose input he talked about?

Old 2007-01-08, 02:00
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

im not even gonna attempt to read your entire post, all I can say is dont buy a b.c. rich bolt on made of agathis, unless you have a separate stand just for the fucking neck while youre playing.

Old 2007-01-08, 23:24
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
im not even gonna attempt to read your entire post, all I can say is dont buy a b.c. rich bolt on made of agathis, unless you have a separate stand just for the fucking neck while youre playing.
Sorry about that. Here it is summarized:
Several years back when I had just been playing bass for 1 year, I bought a B.C Rich because I didn't know any better.
I completely agree that it's a terrible instrument, and not worth having, which is why I'm trying to get rid of it. My question is what should I charge.

Destroy the box.

Old 2007-01-09, 00:52
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

300 dollars OBO

Old 2007-01-09, 23:18
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
300 dollars OBO

Despite the screwed up pick up?
Destroy the box.

Old 2007-01-10, 00:36
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

um, I doubt any sane person would give you over 200 for a used b.c. rich bolt on with a fucked up pickup.
considdering once you leave the store with a b.c. rich its value drops to about $150 unless its a custom shop model.
youd be lucky to get 100, just do what I did, use it as your "experimental" bass.

refinished, defretted, new hardware, awaiting whammy bridge(kahler)