MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

View Poll Results: What gauge strings do you use?
Light 4 17.39%
Medium 12 52.17%
Heavy 6 26.09%
I don't know, I'm a n00b. 0 0%
I'm poor, I steal piano strings and wind them on my bass. 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-12-14, 11:12
blitz906
Okay.

Post String Gauges

So...yeah, just wondering what kind of string gauges you all use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2006-12-14, 12:29
epitaph
Senior Metalhead

105 - 85 - 65 - 45

I tune to E and C#

Last edited by epitaph : 2006-12-14 at 12:32.

Old 2006-12-14, 21:13
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

I didn't vote, because I'm too embarrassed at what the best applicable answer is: "I don't know, I'm a noob"

I haven't come across a set of strings that I'm satisfied with, to tell the truth, let alone a string gauge I prefer. Actually, I can hardly tell the difference between string gauges in terms of feel, or is the only difference in sound?
I've recently switched from Light Gauge Elixirs to Heavy Gauge Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, and after about a month of playing the Ernie Balls I can't tell the difference anymore, they completely dead sounding already. To me heavy gauge seems better for slap, but doesn't really make a difference otherwise. Then again maybe its just because Ernie Ball is good for slap, I don't know really.

Does string gauge really matter?
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2006-12-15, 00:11
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

String gauge matters quite a bit, although I would say more so for guitarists than bass players. Heavier string gauge tends to equal a fatter tone and the string tension is higher, making them a little harder to play. A lighter gauge will tend to sound brighter with less bottom end and feel less taught than a heavy gauge set.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-12-15, 00:27
Requiem
Post-whore

Medium

Old 2006-12-15, 20:50
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
String gauge matters quite a bit, although I would say more so for guitarists than bass players. Heavier string gauge tends to equal a fatter tone and the string tension is higher, making them a little harder to play. A lighter gauge will tend to sound brighter with less bottom end and feel less taught than a heavy gauge set.
I guess that explains why bending was easier with the lighter set and also why my current set sounds so much better for slapping and lower stuff in general.

Cool. You've pretty much put into words exactly what I felt but could not explain about Elixirs. A better sounding high end but poor low end.

Do they sell custom light sets for bass like they do for guitar? (that is, sets with heavy low strings and light high strings)
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2006-12-19, 09:59
blitz906
Okay.

hmm...medium and heavy gauge are tied. USE HEAVY YOU SISSY TWATS! lol j/k
Quote:
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-02-24, 17:13
matterthief
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
hmm...medium and heavy gauge are tied. USE HEAVY YOU SISSY TWATS! lol j/k

I have a question for both of you guys that use heavy gauge strings. I'm wondering if I went up from my current 105's if my strings wouldn't feel so "slinky" when I downtune. I'm sure there is some difference but is it significant enough to justify the expense of getting my action adjusted and buying new strings?

Old 2007-03-06, 08:00
blitz906
Okay.

Yes...that's one of the reasons that I use heavy gauge. More tension. And a fatter sound with a more 'in your face' sound. Just remember that if you do decide to change to heavy gauge, you will notice the strain on your fingers/hands until they get stronger and adapt to the tighter tension, and the skin on your fingers might even hurt a little bit more...mine blistered after the first 4 days, but I developed thicker calluses so it's all good.

Hope you like the new feeling if you do decide to change.

~Cheers
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-03-06, 12:16
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

I go for the lighter gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2007-03-10, 22:18
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
I go for the lighter gauges.

You east coast sissy j/k
Any reason as to why you prefer light gauge?
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-03-10, 23:48
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

hes probably going for a more high-endish tone.
ex: necrophagist, cryptopsy.
maybe he uptunes?

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-03-11, 04:34
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
hes probably going for a more high-endish tone.
ex: necrophagist, cryptopsy.
maybe he uptunes?

lol who the hell uptunes? I've never met, or heard of anybody that has.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-03-13, 01:41
matterthief
Metalhead

Quote:
Yes...that's one of the reasons that I use heavy gauge. More tension. And a fatter sound with a more 'in your face' sound. Just remember that if you do decide to change to heavy gauge, you will notice the strain on your fingers/hands until they get stronger and adapt to the tighter tension, and the skin on your fingers might even hurt a little bit more...mine blistered after the first 4 days, but I developed thicker calluses so it's all good.

~Cheers

Sounds good. I'm getting an old '86 Guild Pilot in a couple weeks. I think I'll take your advice and have heavies installed on it. I'll let you know how much pain I'm in after I break in the new strings.

Thanks!

Old 2007-03-13, 06:54
Unholy Wretch
New Blood

what gauge would you consider if you do fast finger picking, but also incorporate the odd slap and pop's to songs?

Old 2007-03-13, 07:32
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Wretch
what gauge would you consider if you do fast finger picking, but also incorporate the odd slap and pop's to songs?

I'd go with medium personally. Maybe light, but I'm not sure...I've never used light.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-04-17, 22:17
matterthief
Metalhead

Quote:

~Cheers

I've had my Guild with the heavies on it (.110 RotoSounds) now for over a week. I had it set up for D standard tuning with passive/active SD Basslines and a Bartolini board.

There is a definite improvement in responsiveness with the heavies over the medium gauge. It doesn't feel near as "slinky" as downtuning medium strings from E. Definitely more tension as you said. Being setup specifically for D is a big help too. I notice the difference in feel but I haven't been blistering. That's because there is still a lack of tension from being tuned down to D. If I had heavies set for 'E' I would definitely feel it.

The sound is fatter too - the open D a real earthshaker!

Old 2007-04-18, 00:28
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterthief
I've had my Guild with the heavies on it (.110 RotoSounds) now for over a week. I had it set up for D standard tuning with passive/active SD Basslines and a Bartolini board.

There is a definite improvement in responsiveness with the heavies over the medium gauge. It doesn't feel near as "slinky" as downtuning medium strings from E. Definitely more tension as you said. Being setup specifically for D is a big help too. I notice the difference in feel but I haven't been blistering. That's because there is still a lack of tension from being tuned down to D. If I had heavies set for 'E' I would definitely feel it.

dont you have a warmoth bass? I was thinking about getting one made with a LP body.
You think they could rout it for a kahler trem instead of a hipshot trem?
just askin

Old 2007-04-20, 04:50
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
You east coast sissy j/k
Any reason as to why you prefer light gauge?

For more of a treble tone. I'll get mediums though if nothing else is available.

Edit - I may be buying a used Ibanez SR405 within the next couple of days..I'm considering to get a heavy gauge set..for the first time ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Last edited by BassBehemoth : 2007-04-20 at 04:55.

Old 2007-04-21, 22:48
matterthief
Metalhead

Quote:
dont you have a warmoth bass? I was thinking about getting one made with a LP body.
You think they could rout it for a kahler trem instead of a hipshot trem?
just askin

I have a warmoth jazz, a warmoth/fender jazz and now a Guild Pilot. Pilots originally sold for close to $1K now you can get them on e-bay for under $300. They were made famous in the eighties by Marc "Animal" Mendoza of Twisted Sister and some guy named Jaco. Now they are forgotten. Great fast necks on them. I bought it for a fun new project (http://www.myspace.com/diesocket if you're curious) that requires downtuning and the 80's retro look doesn't hurt.

Anyway, Warmoth is particular about what they will and won't do. But they are nice to work with - just give them a call and ask. They went out of their way to route room for a DiMarzio X2N-B to fit under the pickguard of the jazz body I ordered from them. It seems they will do what they can for you.

Old 2007-04-21, 23:03
matterthief
Metalhead

I should add they also charged me another $65 for that little trick!

Old 2007-04-29, 22:10
graduallymelted
Metalhead

12 to 60 mother fuckers.....
shit this is bass zone

Last edited by graduallymelted : 2007-04-29 at 22:40.

Old 2007-05-16, 04:43
blitz906
Okay.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterthief

Glad to hear that I could be of some assistance, also glad to hear that you like the heavies! They sure do make a hell of a difference in terms of tension and tone. It's not really a 'thicker' tone, just heavier and more 'in your face'... hard to explain, you have to hear it to understand. But compared to light or medium gauge, they can blow the hair off your balls at high volumes Not to mention that RotoSounds have a fucking awesome tone! Well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Cheers man
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-05-16, 11:26
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

I'm currently using DR Medium 5's MR5-45 (45 65 85 105 125 high to low.) They're High Beams.
Feel the doom of haunting chants

Old 2007-05-17, 11:07
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeth_Rules_All
I'm currently using DR Medium 5's MR5-45 (45 65 85 105 125 high to low.) They're High Beams.

I play extra lights for the extremely low tension.
I tap alot

Old 2007-05-17, 22:15
Opeth_Rules_All
Metalhead

Quote:
I tap alot

I've never played with light strings. I like high beams for their deep, but not muddy bass, along with the high ring.
Feel the doom of haunting chants

Old 2007-05-18, 08:40
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
I tap alot

Is light gauge better for tapping? I use heavy gauge and don't really have a problem with tapping.
Quote:
Quote: