ZRO
Senior Metalhead

How..

..did you learn the drums?

Did you take lessons or teach yourself?

Old 2006-11-22, 05:41
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I started at first reading drum tabs off taborama. Big mistake because they suck.

I then started learning some simple songs by ear. First song I learned was Thunder Kiss 65 by White Zombie. ALWAYS a fun song to play around with.

Then I started taking lessons in about a year. I stopped when school started. I've been meaning to get back into doing them, but they're just pretty expensive. Not a huge hole in the wallet, but if they end up not really teaching me and just end up drilling me, I can just do that by myself.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-11-25, 20:46
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

I learned all by myself, just listening to songs and trying to play the same. Everything's going pretty well, except I wish I was a bit more technical sometimes (polyrhythm shit and such).
I just took two lessons for heel/toe technique recently, which was a sublime idea, hehe.

Old 2006-11-25, 20:51
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Self-taught. I don't think there even are any drum teachers around here.

I spent most of my life tapping my legs to songs, and sadly didn't even sit behind a drum kit until I was 27. Huge mistake to leave it so long. I think I assumed once I got drums it would just be as easy as knee tapping, but with cymbals.

Imagine by surprise!

Old 2006-11-26, 06:35
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I have a teacher. There are just too many things that can be done wrongly on the drums, and he taught me how to be efficient, and on top of that a LOT of things about music ethic, dealing with other musos, buying gear etc. He also has MANY connections in various drum stores, so I can always mention his name to the right person and get a discount.

Old 2006-11-27, 01:12
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

taught myself

Old 2007-01-28, 19:43
skank nasty
New Blood

i started drumming because the drummer in my mums brass band got cancer, he tought me what he could before kemo. that lasted about 5 months then self taught. ive been labeled as a sheep before because i just sit and drum along to cds. but a sentance i have recently started to love is "take things and make them your own"
www.myspace.com/grilledpiss grill that fucking piss, nintendo grind with guitars and shouting.

and if you like stupid videos
www.myspace.com/ecdcaregay

too many myspaces there for ones liking but fuck it everyone else uses and i do need my cool points.

Old 2007-01-28, 20:45
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

i played piano a few years before playing drums. after that, learning drums was really easy, I mostly need to work on technique when i practice.

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-01-28, 23:18
The Execrator
Noob lud

Pretty much taught myself. Took a few lessons and learned the basic things that I built off of to get to where I am now. You don't need lessons, you have forums and websites all over to learn everything that you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2007-01-29, 01:42
low-tech
Post-whore

lessons 2 years from a berekley certified teacher.

playing about 14 years now.

Old 2007-02-04, 04:03
sic
New Blood

Mostly self taught. I have taken a few lessons here and there to learn the rudiments.

Old 2007-04-11, 18:11
corpseifierdude2
New Blood

blabla

figuring out by urself is part of the fun and challenge...of course, u have to listen to what others do to some degree.

But there is some charm in going completly solo, making ur own style and doing it ur way. Been playing guitar for 14-15 years now and i have noticed that i more and more develop my playing not from copying others, but just exploring on my own
Only played drums for about 6 months, so i guess i will be going the same way with drumming...saying that learning the rudiments from a teacher is probaly not a bad idea, but as u advance i think there is more joy in exploring the instrument on ur own

Old 2007-04-11, 19:06
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I feel the same way as ^.

Im a self taught guitarist and now I'm trying to teach myself to play drums and eventually bass. I agree that doing it on your own helps to develop your own style, plus I found it fun and satisfying to try to figure things out on my own and actually succeeding.