MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-11-15, 19:47
DemonicSlaughteR
Metalhead

6505+ need help

I finaly had enough money to buy one but when i started playing i was getting dissapointed at the sound because i was expecting crazy chainsaw sizzly gain but i got medeum deep toned to bassy or ear piercing gain i am using it with the stock ruby tubes any recomendations on what tubes would make it sound like i described i was expecting it or settings or whatever. i am using a randall cab that i switched the speakers to celestion g12t-75's i dont know if its the speakers or the amp ........also the louder i put it the muddier unclear and ear piercing it gets any cabs recomended also Thanks

Old 2006-11-15, 20:16
k13m
Post-whore

so you bought an amp without trying it properly??

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-11-15, 20:20
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

curious, what are your settings? what guitar are you using, and what pickups does it have?

Old 2006-11-15, 20:21
DemonicSlaughteR
Metalhead

At guitar center it sounded good then when i got home it was nasty

Old 2006-11-15, 20:29
DemonicSlaughteR
Metalhead

my settings are lead channel pre gain at 10 lows at 6 mids at 2 or 1 highs at 5 post normally 2 or 1 at practice at 3 resonance at 5 and precence at 7.5 on the lead chanel with gain all the way i still dont get enough my guitar is a B.c.rich deluxe series warlock with an emg 81 in bridge and a passive bcrich humbucker that i move the switch to to mute since i cant use it

Old 2006-11-15, 21:05
k13m
Post-whore

well you sayd, you egt tom bassy and ear piercing sounds?? lower the bass, lower the presence of trebble, maybe boost the mids a bit, i dno , play around with the amps eq, also, the more gain the muddier alot of amps get. dno about this one, never played one yet

also, howlong have you got it, seems like you just got it a week ago, usualy takes a while before you egt a nice setting, tok em bout 1 year to find a setting i liked on my amp.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-11-15, 23:19
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicSlaughteR
my settings are lead channel pre gain at 10 lows at 6 mids at 2 or 1 highs at 5 post normally 2 or 1 at practice at 3 resonance at 5 and precence at 7.5 on the lead chanel with gain all the way i still dont get enough my guitar is a B.c.rich deluxe series warlock with an emg 81 in bridge and a passive bcrich humbucker that i move the switch to to mute since i cant use it

so you have it:
lead channel
pre gain(gain/dist): 10
highs: 5
mids: 1-2
lows: 6
post gain(volume): 2
resonance: 3-5
presence: 7.5

i would suggest changing to something more along these lines:

pregain: 6-7
highs: 5
mids: 3-4(or more)
lows: 6
post gain: the louder the better... it's a tube amp
resonance: 5-6
presence: 5-6

basically you have too much gain, not enough mids, not enough volume... too much gain will make it muddy, and no mids will make it sound, thin, hollow, and add to the muddiness, while also reducing cutting power. more mids will add muscle and cutting power. tube amps like to be played loud, thats when they sound their best.

my 2 cents.

Old 2006-11-16, 05:11
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Plus on top of that, Celestion GT12-75'S have tons of bass, tons of highs, very little mids. So you have a speaker that already has a scooped curve to it, AND you you are scooping the amp as well. I would recommend you bring the mids up to around 5-6 given the nature of your speakers. And definitely bring the pregain down. Pregain controls the amount of preamp tube distortion and that kind of distortion is very buzzy and lacks clarity and dynamics.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-11-16, 07:44
rapeandruin
Post-whore

I have the same speakers and 5150...for my aim i use...the following few settings

B tuning:
rhythm/lead pre gain: 8-9
then EQ (cuz 5150 only has 1 EQ):
Low: 6-7
Mid: 4-5
High: 8-9
Post Gain: whatever I want the volume to be...
Resonance: 0-1
Presence 0-1

E tuning:
rhythm/lead pre gain: 7-8
Low: 3-4
Mid: 4-5
High: 8-9
Post gain: volume...blah
Resonance: 0-1
PResence: 0-1

yeah...probably doesn't help...but yeah...i need new tubes...

Old 2006-11-16, 18:14
DemonicSlaughteR
Metalhead

Thats true about the mids but i need chunkyass palm mutes and with the mids up it kills them so ill try to get a cab with speakers focused on mids or something like v30's to add natural mids and have the mids on the amp at about 2-3 i wonder if that would work? i will try that

Old 2006-11-16, 22:18
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

well without mids, you're going to sound like chunky ass.