MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-11-01, 18:24
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Disgust with slap technique

Ill admit it, im a bass player of four and half years and i dont really like slap lines,because people do it just to do it. Not because its a tool, just because its fast and impressive ( for about a minute!!!lol). Master fingerstyle first then try slap is my motto. I dont even bother with slap technique that much, tapping i really enjoy because it opens up more possibilities with chords and overtones, but slap is mostly just gobs of dead notes with a note or two in between. The only notable exceptions to this case are Wooten, Mark king, and Flea. Does anyone else agree or am i the only person who gets sick of every stinking bass solo or funk line i hear anymore being played slap style? Im interested in what some other players think about this.

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2006-11-01, 20:34
Requiem
Post-whore

I just recently started learning songs with slap lines. I hate how my amp puts out the sound of my slaps. It sounds very dual.Is it because of my amp settings or just my bass or am I doing something wrong.I really like slap lines especialy Wootens lines, Choy does some too.When I slap I use the side of my thumb but it sounds nothing like any one elses slaps, even when my friend slaps on my bass it sounds better to me.I dont understand this.Is there something i'm doing wrong or what is it I would like to know.Im getting a amp this weekend and i'll record me playing a few lines.

Old 2006-11-02, 10:17
Julien
New Blood

I agree with you bassist of light. However, listen to a guy called Alain Caron, especially to songs like "D-Code" or "Slam the clown". He uses slap techniques in a very musical and melodic way. And he is damn good!

Old 2006-11-02, 10:31
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

You shouldn't botter playing slap if you're not good at it yet, that's the major malfunction of bassist throwing out corny slap riffs.
Some guys however master it perfectly and then it has a lot of added value.

And it's not ''mostly just gobs of dead notes with a note or two in between.'' then you just haven't listened good enough

Old 2006-11-02, 14:10
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien
I agree with you bassist of light. However, listen to a guy called Alain Caron, especially to songs like "D-Code" or "Slam the clown". He uses slap techniques in a very musical and melodic way. And he is damn good!

yes alain caron is definitely an exception but he does it all not just slap

my myspace:

Old 2006-11-02, 14:13
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
You shouldn't botter playing slap if you're not good at it yet, that's the major malfunction of bassist throwing out corny slap riffs.
Some guys however master it perfectly and then it has a lot of added value.

And it's not ''mostly just gobs of dead notes with a note or two in between.'' then you just haven't listened good enough

i have transcribed and listened to many slap players, and most of what i hear is just buttloads of dead notes with some quick sixteenth notes thrown in, im a decent slap player and have the technique pretty well down, i just dont like how overused it is, and how impressed people are when some guy open hammer plucks root octaves all the way down the fretboard, come on thats lame!!! I much prefer jaco or sheehan when it comes to solo time.

my myspace:

Old 2006-11-02, 15:06
VolVox
New Blood

I dont like slapping that much either, I dont even bother about learning as it takes much time to master it, although i know the basics.

Old 2006-11-02, 15:16
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I also find slap bass disgusting. It's revolting, unnatural, and an offense before man and God. All you people defending it are sinners destined for the fires and ice of hell!

Old 2006-11-02, 19:50
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
I also find slap bass disgusting. It's revolting, unnatural, and an offense before man and God. All you people defending it are sinners destined for the fires and ice of hell!

um ok.......

let me guess more people poking fun at my faith, i believe what i believe you believe what you believe keep the thread on topic, if this was a forum about different religions i would not care, this is SLAP BASS, so lay off immature fag

stupid....people.....

my myspace:

Old 2006-11-03, 12:36
Paedophage
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88

Anyway, i'm not a bassist myself, but I agree that slapping is often an overused techinque. But it is somewhat interesting when applied to electric guitar...I don't understand why more people don't slap, especially in metal. You can get some pretty funky harmonics from slapping....not really a good technique to coast on, but nice for adding little textures to passages.

Actually, I think that can really be applied to any technique. Everything in moderation. Slap Bass is fine as long as it's not your main thing... Whats the point of playing an instrument if you're not going to be a well rounded player? It's pretty much the same with guitar, it would be pretty boring if everyone did tapping all the time.

Old 2006-11-03, 14:29
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedophage

Anyway, i'm not a bassist myself, but I agree that slapping is often an overused techinque. But it is somewhat interesting when applied to electric guitar...I don't understand why more people don't slap, especially in metal. You can get some pretty funky harmonics from slapping....not really a good technique to coast on, but nice for adding little textures to passages.

Actually, I think that can really be applied to any technique. Everything in moderation. Slap Bass is fine as long as it's not your main thing... Whats the point of playing an instrument if you're not going to be a well rounded player? It's pretty much the same with guitar, it would be pretty boring if everyone did tapping all the time.

agreed well roundedness is the way to go

my myspace:

Old 2006-11-03, 18:53
NaTo
New Blood

the non-bassist think the bass is only to slap, and when they have one on their hands.....the slap it.............................all people do this.............

Thanks y KEEP SUPPORTING DEATHMETAL & GRINDCORE

Old 2006-11-03, 21:03
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist_of_light
i have transcribed and listened to many slap players, and most of what i hear is just buttloads of dead notes with some quick sixteenth notes thrown in, im a decent slap player and have the technique pretty well down, i just dont like how overused it is, and how impressed people are when some guy open hammer plucks root octaves all the way down the fretboard, come on thats lame!!! I much prefer jaco or sheehan when it comes to solo time.

then you've been transcribing the wrong stuff.
Sure Jaco is cool. but bass solo's are not. some people just never get it. PST has a point here.

Old 2006-11-03, 21:33
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

why arent bass solos cool?
have you heard only ash remains?
most of you think slap is overrated and over used because it IS.
the mainstream bassists slap about 4 notes in a song and all of the sudden, the media turns them into a sudo bass god.

example: mudvayne - dig

good song, but the slapping in it is stupid and not needed. it could easily be strummed.
if you want propper slap that wont bore you to sleep, try primus or any funk.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-11-03, 21:59
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Bass solo's ARE cool if used in the right place.. any solo is cool if its in a place where its needed.. but it also depends what sort of band your in.. (style wise)

I used to be a mega slap player, tryed to get down all of wootens chops.. 80 percent of my playing was slap for a couple months of my playing, once you master it.. you have a big obsession with it.. but after a while slapping everything sounds stupid and you realise how pointless it is and that your hardly going to use it on a gig unless your in a level 42 tribute..

I havent practiced my slap chops in ages! but slap can be very effective in the right place and genre..

Bassist of light...I can see your reasons of hating slap, most young newb bassplayers in a music centre will be sat down infront of a amp trying to play higher ground as fast as they can, thats bloody annoying, ''look at me, look how fast i can slap!!'' .. but a lot of them mature and go back to using fingerstyle, and when needed ..throw in the odd slap lick..

I actually think the slap in dig sounds good! Ryan martinie is just displaying his technique, and making the song sound different, he is actually a very talented and original bass player if you ever get to see the dvd or deeply listen to the album LD.50 you will appreciate it, and his tone is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2006-11-04, 00:59
Requiem
Post-whore

Who needs slapping just look at Alex Webster.

Old 2006-11-04, 02:06
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Rather listen to him.

I wasn't making fun of your faith, touchy Mary*, but your choice of words, specifically 'disgust.' If I wanted to make fun of your faith I would do so directly, by calling Christianity unpleasant things and spreading vicious rumors about the sexuality of Jesus Christ. If you're so insecure in your faith that you have to read every comment as an attack upon it, I have very little confidence in your deserving eternal reward.

*This means I'm calling you a sensitive fag, not making reference to the Mother of God.

Old 2006-11-04, 02:50
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Who needs slapping just look at Alex Webster.

agh just stop already
we all agree that slap is often over used in modern music.
but when mastered it is beautiful and has greatly contributed to the bass becoming more than just a backup instrument.

Old 2006-11-04, 06:51
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix

good song, but the slapping in it is stupid and not needed. it could easily be strummed.

It COULD be strummed but it's not and it probably sounds better that way. And yeah, the dude from Mudvayne is a badass.

Old 2006-11-04, 13:17
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

i hate slap myself.. i prefer playing finger style... solos n adding bass groves is what i prefer more

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2006-11-04, 14:00
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

alex webster slaps all the time anyways.....

Old 2006-11-05, 10:03
VolVox
New Blood

Irony?

Old 2006-11-05, 23:08
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

what?

Old 2006-11-06, 14:35
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
why arent bass solos cool?
have you heard only ash remains?
most of you think slap is overrated and over used because it IS.
the mainstream bassists slap about 4 notes in a song and all of the sudden, the media turns them into a sudo bass god.

good point, very good, and only a guitar player would say bass solos arent cool, because they don't understand the low end!

my myspace:

Old 2006-11-08, 13:14
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedophage

i dont know tapping is pretty stinkin fun.

my myspace:

Old 2006-11-09, 17:16
VolVox
New Blood

Quote:
what?

I saw and heard Alex webster slapping exactly one time, which was on the Wretched Spawn DVD perfomring a bass solo.

Topic: I do not understand why so many bassists start slapping as soon as they have to play some octaves, no matter whether the sound fits or not.
For some Groove Parts i play typewriter style, which is similiar to slapping, but not as "twingy".

Old 2006-11-09, 22:00
Pr0az
Post-whore

I dont play bass, but i see some of you mentioning like bass solos. I gotta say the intro to NIB with or without distortion was DAMN GOOD! I was impressed however i'm sure you guys have heard better.

Old 2006-11-09, 22:24
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolVox
I saw and heard Alex webster slapping exactly one time, which was on the Wretched Spawn DVD perfomring a bass solo.

Topic: I do not understand why so many bassists start slapping as soon as they have to play some octaves, no matter whether the sound fits or not.
For some Groove Parts i play typewriter style, which is similiar to slapping, but not as "twingy".

so where did you see an irony?

Old 2006-11-10, 18:11
VolVox
New Blood

Quote:
alex webster slaps all the time anyways.....

here!?

I think i must have missed sth

Old 2007-01-12, 03:37
matterthief
Metalhead

C'mon guys! How can you not give slapping credit? Slapping was "invented" as a way of emulating the drums. Notes aren't as important as the rhythm you are creating.

Granted there are too many Flea and Claypool wannabes and not everyone can or should slap. Too many bassists jump to it too soon because it's flashy. Slap also has limited use in metal but I do like to pop the high strings sometimes - sounds fucking heavy.

Still, forget Alex Webster (easily the most overrated bassist on this forum ) and check out Brothers Johnson, Stanley Clarke or Parliament if you want to hear some slap.

PS - I just had a jazz bass built with a DIMARZIO X2N-B installed in it.
I'll post on it with some sound bytes when I've explored it some more but so far !

Old 2007-01-17, 02:34
FX A
New Blood

Wink

Well firstly can I just say this is an awesome thread, one of the best metal threads I've been through, Good discussion

Yeah I have been practising slap a bit lately, but I don't know why because I know it's stuffing up me maintaining good technique. But now that I am about to start up lessons again I think I will put it away.

Fact is best band with best bassists either don't slap or it is an occassional fill, but really their are cooler effects that can be created by other techniques or simply awesome sense of Rhythem (which is what the bass is for not slapping).
Leave slapping for someone like Whooten (is that right spelling, only just discovered him)

My view is 4 string all the way (not a fan of the 5 string)
play the bass properly

Old 2007-01-17, 02:42
Requiem
Post-whore

You need a 5 string for certain situations.

Old 2007-01-17, 03:49
FX A
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
You need a 5 string for certain situations.

I know that's true

Paradise Lost use a 6 string on Dissapear interestingly enough

Old 2007-01-17, 20:32
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

are you saying that playing a bass with more than 4 strings is improper?

Old 2007-01-18, 04:54
FX A
New Blood

I prefer 4 strings
thats me, I spose I'm a bit cynical as some bands opt for 5 string bass more for the sound rather than to play it properly

I know this is not always the case, some bands have good 5 stringed bassists or they play the odd the song 5 string, which I think is a good way to go
sometimes a 5 string is required I know that, probably should ave worded myself sharper, it oviously can play at a lower pitch that a 4 string can't
but I prefer the 4 string

I spose alot depends on the style as well for strings on a bass is good for the more funk style

Old 2007-01-18, 21:37
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

the only time ive actually seen a bass played 'improperly" was about a month ago when this local band was playing.
the bass player had a decent rig
ampeg svt4-pro
ampeg 6x10
fender Marcus miller 4
he decided to be "hardcore" at the end of their set, and threw the bass on the ground, then he ran through the bar like your typical fat idiot.
then he slipped and cracked his skull on a pool table...

....karma...

Old 2007-01-28, 16:56
Tulvox
Post-whore

I love slap bass. But with everything in music, there is a time and place for it. Example, slap doesn't have much use in technical metal or an acoustic, but if you're just grooving at a coffee shop or what have you, it's wonderful.

Slap bass may be unnesscessary, but so are guitarist techniques like sweep picking and pinch harmonics. But like I said, there is a time and place for slap bass.

www.maddox.xmission.com