MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-10-11, 05:47
Tunaandcheese
New Blood

Looking to upgrade passive pickups to active

I'm curently doing some research on what active pick ups but am having a bit of trouble on deciding what brand of pick ups to get and wether the pick ups actually come with electronics.

i want to change the 2 sets of P style pick ups in my mocking bird to something active. i'd rather keep both pick ups P style so that i don't have to cut into the front of my bass.

naturally i play metal, pretty broad on styles of metal though and i tend to play a bit of everything, finger, slap/pop and pick. which way of playing depends on the style i'm playing at the time. so could anyone suggest some brands/models that'd be great

Old 2006-10-11, 14:44
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

Personally, I've always been a fan of the EMG's myself for playing metal. Check out their site. EMG bass pickups

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Old 2006-10-12, 01:25
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

emg's and I believe seymore duncans are active, both VERY reliable brands.
also ... ditch the pick

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-10-12, 05:29
Tunaandcheese
New Blood

how did i know you would mention something about a pick? i've been reading around and i agree, playing with a pick is alot easier/the lazy way to play. but i have a question for you. when did you you start thinking that skill is more important than the music itself? some styles of metal only require a simple bass line and the sound of the clicking of the pick might actually sound good for that music/better than using fingers. while songs using a pick will destroy the song.
i say, if the pick sounds good for the style. go for it. if it doesn't throw it away.

mind you if i ever here some one say "i use a pick because i can't use my fingers" i will be temped to kick them in the nuts... many many times,steal their bass and hand them a guitar

anyway thanks for the pick up info. i'll look into it a bit more. damn things will proberly cost me like 500 to get them.. but it'll be worth it right?

Old 2006-10-12, 14:02
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

NEVER invest 500 dollars into a b.c. rich
just go pick up a rockbass

EDIT:
I take that back, Ive decided to add a kahler tremolo and replace the neck on my mockingbird with a fretless warmoth neck.
Ill also install some rio grande pickups, unless anyone else has a better idea. passives please.

Last edited by sixsicsix : 2006-10-12 at 23:13.

Old 2006-10-12, 14:30
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Seymour Duncan only makes a few active bass pickups, most of them are passive. I would just check out a set of EMG P's.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-10-12, 15:51
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunaandcheese
damn things will proberly cost me like 500 to get them.. but it'll be worth it right?

Pretty good guess on the price. Up here, (Canada) they run for $500-$600, but that's for all the p/u's, wiring harness, active eq, preamp, and installation. Follow the link in my previous post and it'll take you to the spec's page for EMG P-style p/u.

Cheers.

Old 2006-10-13, 01:59
Tunaandcheese
New Blood

yeah thanks i've been checking out the the EMG site unfortantally being in australia just one set of those pick ups is gonna cost me about 240, proberly 250. thats not including the wiring and shit but what should i do about the EQ, should i be getting something else by EMG to do the EQ. correct me if i'm wrong (i hope i am) but it looks like if you wire two EMG-P together you'll end up with volume 1, volume 2 and a pot to tweak your treble. but i'd rather 3 band EQ with a balance, but i will settle for a 2 band EQ if it a 3 band EQ isn't posssible/cost to much

Old 2006-10-14, 14:23
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but if memory serves me correctly you can buy 2 P-style EMG's and the 3-band parametric active EQ (also EMG) and have them wired as volume-balance-EQ. Cost is another matter, though...also, do you have the space in the back of your bass for the necessary electronics and battery/batteries?

If you go to the EMG site, there should be a contact area, so you might try emailing them and let them know what you are looking for. I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction.

Cheers.

Old 2006-10-14, 22:14
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

yeah, the platinum mockingbird doesnt have much space at all for electronics, on mine theres a 6 inch long, 1.5 inch wide cavity on the back, youll probably just be better off getting better passives, dude.
bartolini or rio grande.