MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-10-04, 21:16
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

my growl just erm.. died

recently my growl keeps cutting out and turning into a strange exhaled wheeze and i've noticed i have to push hell a hard to get the same sound i used to be able to get effortlessly... anyone have any suggestions?

Like cigarettes and gasoline
I light a match and watch this scene
Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-04, 21:22
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

you should rest it

Old 2006-10-05, 21:05
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

resting it doesnt seem to be helping

Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-05, 21:16
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Do you smoke or anything?

Old 2006-10-05, 21:44
- EXILE -
Metalhead

Yea thats happend to me before as well, just stop growling for a few and it should come right.

Old 2006-10-05, 21:47
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

not smoked for around 2 months now

Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-06, 00:31
Requiem
Post-whore

Then start smoking again

Old 2006-10-06, 13:46
bassist_of_light
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Then start smoking again

i never condone smoking, but that actually might be what it is lol

my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bassist_of_light

Old 2006-10-06, 14:41
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

hmm, is there anything that would yeild the same effects as smoking without slowly killing me?

Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-06, 15:20
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Milk, Yoghurt, Gargling Baking soda, Tea???

For your latest question there have been many threads on it.

Old 2006-10-06, 16:40
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

gargling baking soda doesnt sound very erm... appealing, i'll try the others though, thanks

Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-06, 19:15
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSiC-AnarchistxX
hmm, is there anything that would yeild the same effects as smoking without slowly killing me?

who cares were all dying

Old 2006-10-06, 19:55
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

yes but i'd rather not speed up the process, for once life is looking good and i dont want to lose that

Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-07, 00:03
- EXILE -
Metalhead

You shouldnt need to smoke in order to get a better sounding voice, or anything else, practice makes perfect.

Old 2006-10-07, 05:31
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
resting it doesnt seem to be helping

Ive been doing vocals all my life, it doesnt take a day dude, it sometimes takes weeks. I know because im known to seriously project gutturals hella fucking loud and im also a vocalist for a knuckledust influenced HXC band which I would scream my ass off till i start spitting blood from my throat.

Trust me, it takes time to heal and after a few years ull see it has taken a toll. (for me, my voice went high pitched, im fucking 20 years old and sound like a 10 year old now).

Old 2006-10-07, 05:33
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by - EXILE -
You shouldnt need to smoke in order to get a better sounding voice, or anything else, practice makes perfect.

yes this is very true, i used to think smoking helps.

It only helps get used to the pain but doesnt change ur tone except ull sound like a old hag from tar being stuck in ur throat.

If u want a demonic sound, u gotta project as much as u can.

Old 2006-10-07, 11:21
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

ty for all the tips, my growl seems to be back and slightly better than before.. for some reason tensing my nose helps :S
also learnt to control the phlegm in my mouth alot better

Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-07, 17:25
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

I drink warm green tea..Works wonders.

Old 2006-10-07, 21:07
Requiem
Post-whore

Well you might wont to try and not growl your the lowest you can when your just begining to growl. Kind of like warming up. My growl sounds like Wormed's growls(which is all they basicly do)

Old 2006-10-07, 21:09
SkelatorOfSteel
Senior Metalhead

"I know because im known to seriously project gutturals hella fucking loud and im also a vocalist for a knuckledust influenced HXC band"

im sorry but when someone claims to be "known" for something related to hardcore vocals, it sounds like a joke to me.

all hardcore is generic, and so are the vocals.

Old 2006-10-08, 10:58
XxSiC-AnarchistxX
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Well you might wont to try and not growl your the lowest you can when your just begining to growl. Kind of like warming up. My growl sounds like Wormed's growls(which is all they basicly do)

i always intend to warm up, but then i just kind of lose myself and go straight out

Burn away in front of me
Ashes of my misery

Old 2006-10-08, 22:17
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

Bones can fucking project..Its nuts

Old 2006-10-09, 03:28
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkelatorOfSteel
"I know because im known to seriously project gutturals hella fucking loud and im also a vocalist for a knuckledust influenced HXC band"

im sorry but when someone claims to be "known" for something related to hardcore vocals, it sounds like a joke to me.

all hardcore is generic, and so are the vocals.

Well if u dont like the genre that spawned Grind Core then fuck off.
Appreciate the roots. And who cares? It sounds generic but fuck when I play in that band I scream my lungs out till I pass out from being exhausted and drunk.

And trust me, when it comes to death metal vocals I dont fuck around and do what all these death core fags do but using both their hands covering their cum stained mouthes while singing live. Fuck that, especially those stupid fags who have no fucking range and execute gutturals in only one octave.

Vocals may sound easy as shit, but its hard as fuck if u really pay attention to the tones, the notes, and the technique. Look at my buddy Chop from Excretion and Blistering Fetus, that fucker is so sick. He can do pig squeels in 4 different octaves, frog growls in 5 octaves, Frog "ribbit" vocals in 3 octaves, and slithering snake vocals in 4 octaves as well.

I think i read someone say they sound like Wormed; dude that vocalist sucks ass. That guy cant project at all, uses the same technique over and over, and his technique is lame. (all inhales being whispered in a microphone).
My suggestion is try not to sound so ultra guttural, cuz its fucking stupid, theres no power and sound totally montonous. Trust me, I seen alot of bands play live with that vocal style and it bores me to shit because their vocalist is trying to hard to whisper the most sewedgy sound yet all u hear is either feedback or someone basically whispering a conversation to u.

Old 2006-10-09, 08:52
Cattlefan#1
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones98

I think i read someone say they sound like Wormed; dude that vocalist sucks ass. That guy cant project at all, uses the same technique over and over, and his technique is lame. (all inhales being whispered in a microphone).
My suggestion is try not to sound so ultra guttural, cuz its fucking stupid, theres no power and sound totally montonous. Trust me, I seen alot of bands play live with that vocal style and it bores me to shit because their vocalist is trying to hard to whisper the most sewedgy sound yet all u hear is either feedback or someone basically whispering a conversation to u.

Well said dude. Inhales are a cheap excuse for lack of vocal talent in my opinion. A singer with an extremely limited vocal variety bores me, like you said. That's why I like Psycroptic, the singer is awesome, wide vocal range!

A live one trapped underneath.

Old 2006-10-24, 01:06
SkelatorOfSteel
Senior Metalhead

"Well if u dont like the genre that spawned Grind Core then fuck off."

actually i dont like the "genre that spawned" grindcore or grindcore itself, they can both lick my balls. bunch of dipshits that can't find a real singer so they just use what they can get, which is the kid down the street who has no singing talent or experience.

"Appreciate the roots."

why the fuck would i want to appreciate the roots of shit? it's like shit evolved into a different branch of shit, and i'm supposed to be respecting it? bite me.

"And who cares? It sounds generic but fuck when I play in that band I scream my lungs out till I pass out from being exhausted and drunk."

so what do you accomplish? screaming your lungs out and passing out drunk. being exhausted and passing out does not make good music. congratulations on screaming your lungs out and being drunk, next step is to learn how to sing

"And trust me, when it comes to death metal vocals I dont fuck around and do what all these death core fags do but using both their hands covering their cum stained mouthes while singing live. Fuck that, especially those stupid fags who have no fucking range and execute gutturals in only one octave."

death metal can lick my balls too. the only type of singing that takes real talent imo, is power metal. power metal is singing with YOUR voice, and you wanna talk about range and octaves? death metal doesnt have shit on power metal. i could go take singing lessons and sound like pretty much any death metal singer in about 5 hours. if i went and took singing lessons saying i want to sound like king diamond on the other hand, i would be told to fuck off.

Last edited by SkelatorOfSteel : 2006-10-25 at 01:07.

Old 2006-10-24, 09:08
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkelatorOfSteel
"Well if u dont like the genre that spawned Grind Core then fuck off."

actually i dont like the "genre that spawned" grindcore or grindcore itself, they can both lick my balls. bunch of dipshits that can't find a real singer so they just use what they can get, which is the kid down the street who has no singing talent or experience.

"Appreciate the roots."

why the fuck would i want to appreciate the roots of shit? it's like shit evolved into a different branch of shit, and i'm supposed to be respecting it? bite me.

"And who cares? <b>It sounds generic</b> but fuck when I play in that band I scream my lungs out till I pass out from being exhausted and drunk."

so what do you accomplish? screaming your lungs out and passing out drunk. being exhausted and passing out does not make good music. congratulations on screaming your lungs out and being drunk, next step is to learn how to sing

"And trust me, when it comes to death metal vocals I dont fuck around and do what all these death core fags do but using both their hands covering their cum stained mouthes while singing live. Fuck that, especially those stupid fags who have no fucking range and execute gutturals in only one octave."

death metal can lick my balls too. the only type of singing that takes real talent imo, is power metal. power metal is singing with YOUR voice, and you wanna talk about range and octaves? death metal doesnt have shit on power metal. i could go take singing lessons and sound like pretty much any death metal singer in about 5 hours. if i went and took singing lessons saying i want to sound like king diamond on the other hand, i would be told to fuck off.

Wow. Someone has passion. You should really go listen to Akercocke.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-10-28, 10:06
Planisphaerium
New Blood

Quote:
not smoked for around 2 months now

Well done man, I quit a month ago and it's cool to have so much extra cash Bones, does Wormed really inhale? That's gay, I used to listen to them a lot, but yeah it does sound pretty suspicious. Good thing I'm goin in another direction though, I'm trying to get a big range and good projection with my gutturals instead of 1 sound.

Old 2006-11-04, 23:14
screamface78
New Blood

smoking proably isnt the best try sining high screaming vocals and convert it to low by lowering ur voice a bit that is what i do

Old 2006-11-04, 23:17
screamface78
New Blood

ohh yeah drink a lota water and practice it