MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-09-16, 07:07
lowbassboy
New Blood

Low voice... >_>

Hey all,
I have a very low voice. The top note I can reach without switching into falsetto too much is about a B, one note below middle C. But, this is very discouraging being a bass. It seems like all of these artists these days are all tenors... but I'm stuck with a lower type voice. Gavin DeGraw, Maroon 5, Greenday, Yellowcard, it seems like basically any band or artist you can imagine, they tackle the higher notes easily. Does this mean I have no hope of being an accomplished singer, just because I was born with a lower voice? I've really yet to come across a singer who sings in lower ranges... =(

Very discouraging.

Any advice? About anything dealing with this? And please don't say "Just give up because you suck" or something like that... or if you do, don't be too harsh...

Thanks.

Old 2006-09-16, 11:39
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbassboy
It seems like all of these artists these days are all tenors... but I'm stuck with a lower type voice. Gavin DeGraw, Maroon 5, Greenday, Yellowcard, it seems like basically any band or artist you can imagine, they tackle the higher notes easily.

hey, wtf?! as the name can tell us, this is METALtabs, not poptabs or what the hell. wtf is this ?

Quote:
But, this is very discouraging being a bass.

But, this is very discouraging to be you I guess. If you can't live as a bass, you're just a pussy.

Quote:
Does this mean I have no hope of being an accomplished singer, just because I was born with a lower voice? I've really yet to come across a singer who sings in lower ranges... =(

Learn how to sing I guess? Normal voice scale is about one octave, and by the training you should extend it. Btw, you know how to sing at all? I don't know the exact english names for sounds, altough I can reach sounds from the deep D (like, dropping your bass guitar tuning down one note), up to F or even G (like um octave from D and 2 sounds more). I'm not sure about which sound you've been talking, but I guess that they wasn't beyond my voice scale.

About the bass and tenor metal singers, it's like Kataklysm lead singer is bass, I daresay that the 2nd singer is bass too, 'cause I sound almost like him with my higher growls. Max Cavalera is bass too I guess (I said that only after listening to Arise, so i may be wrong). Glen Benton - bass. Want some more examples?

You've posted here, so I think that you probobaly listen some metal music. So, you want to make good use of your bass voice? Learn how to growl and get a death metal band Bass growls just blast :P

Last edited by SolothurN : 2006-09-16 at 11:41.

Old 2006-09-16, 16:32
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Gavin DeGraw, Maroon 5, Greenday, Yellowcard

Those bands suck.

Quote:
But, this is very discouraging being a bass. It seems like all of these artists these days are all tenors...

So consider yourself gifted. You are complaining because you don't sound like everyone else?

This is the best advice you can get: Don't try someone else's vocal style, or imitate your favourite bands. Develop your style according to your own natural voice and cappabilities. You'll never be a good singer if you can't shine in the range you are given.

Besides, I like Bass singing.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-09-16, 16:37
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
Besides, I like Bass singing.

So do I. Bass signer who know how to use his voice (in EVERY type of music starting from classical choir up to death metal) just smashes. If you know how to sing, just start practicing. Try singing to the music you like most and develop own style. And try to put thing that this is your style and it's good 'cause it's orginal somewhere in your head :P

Old 2006-09-16, 17:56
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
So consider yourself gifted. You are complaining because you don't sound like everyone else?

This is the best advice you can get: Don't try someone else's vocal style, or imitate your favourite bands. Develop your style according to your own natural voice and cappabilities. You'll never be a good singer if you can't shine in the range you are given.

If you take anything from this thread, this should be it. Consider yourself lucky that you are a bass, because that makes you unique. Why would you want to sound like some pop punk queer?
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-09-16, 20:16
Unanything
Post-whore

Morbid Angel's God Of Emptiness has bass vocals in it.
And that's proper song. Screw the high-voiced pussies. Bass vocal melodies are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolothurN
So do I. Bass signer who know how to use his voice (in EVERY type of music starting from classical choir up to death metal) just smashes. If you know how to sing, just start practicing. Try singing to the music you like most and develop own style. And try to put thing that this is your style and it's good 'cause it's orginal somewhere in your head :P

That is pure wisdom. You have my praises, SolothurN.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-09-16, 21:30
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

Yeah-a. Other thing is high-vocal pussies are pussies indeed. Most tenors I know (and believe me, I know many:P) are pussies :P

For me bass voice is better in every way. Fuck the higher ones